in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-29-2008 7:31 AM by Dillen. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2008 9:41 PM

• stefin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

RX2 arm mechanism

Hi;

This is a repeat of a post I put in the Workbench forum, but I think it would go better here.

I am trying to diagnose and repair a problem with my RX2 5833 turntable. When the stylus lands in the groove, there is bass distortion. If I cue the arm up and down for several times, the arm will eventually seat properly and the stylus will play the record perfectly with no distortion. I think I see what the problem is, but I will have to get a service manual before I attempt to take it apart. I think that the arm cuing mechanism is not releasing the arm completely unless I happen to catch it after several tries.

Does this problem sound familiar? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks

• 04-29-2008 7:31 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: RX2 arm mechanism

Are you sure that the problem is not with the cartridge ?  Sadly, it's quite common to see the needle cantilever suspension give up the ghost and often the symptoms are that the cartridge is riding a little high on the record grooves with the cantilever in an odd angle, producing distortion and often jumping tracks. Give it a gentle finger-dab on top of the cartridge and it will fall down to normal position and play fine.

This applies to the original cartridges, presumably because of age. If this is what you experience, you need a new cartridge.

The service manual (and user manual) is available for download for silver and gold members. Well worth the cost of membership for all the documentation available there, let alone the gold members monthly prizedraw, checkout this months prizes > http://www.beoworld.org/prize_draw.asp

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)