in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2008 8:50 AM by beologisch. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2008 10:45 PM

Update on my BL3000 purchase!

After some cleaning, replacing the fabric grills (massive cat hair! ugh!), polishing, running wire channeling down my walls, etc.  I just wanted to let everyone know the speakers sound and look FANTASTIC!  Gorgeous sound, and they go great with my two CX100s that I have hooked up.  

BTW, I really don't need any brackets -- maybe a rather corny way of hanging them, but on this side of the pond we have these self-anchoring hooks called Gorilla Hooks (I think?) and they hold up to 50lbs each.  Anyway, I have two hooked up per speaker into the little holes on either side of the top of the speaker, and they hang and look just fine.  (A little extra effort to make sure they're even, but the hooks cost a whopping four bucks -- worth the extra effort, I suppose!)

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help!  I'll try to get a picture of my setup and post it sometime this week.

Best,

Aaron 

• 04-21-2008 1:40 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Re: Update on my BL3000 purchase!

Aaron, I'm very happy for you and your purchase.  But please mount those speaker with a proper dry wall toggle bolt.  They're easily found at your local hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes, and quite cheap.  They hold quite a bit of weight, and are the next best thing to screwing directly into a wall stud.  Just because those Hercules hooks advertise 50 pounds doesn't mean I'd trust them.  The weight limit is fairly meaningless, as it depends heavily on the direction and angle the force is applied, and the strength of the drywall.  Dry wall toggle bolts have been used for and relied on for many years.  Things like the gorilla hooks are marketed more towards "as seen on TV" infomercials being watched by people who aren't used to actually mounting and hanging things like cabinets, plasmas, etc.  I'm not saying your Hercules hooks will necessarily give you any problems.  All I'm saying is that given what you're hanging I wouldn't take the chance.  I'd use a real dry wall mount, and not something from an "as seen on TV" infomercial.

This is what the toggle bolt looks like:

http://images.builderssquare.com/Detail/0/4/365/4365589_Detail.jpg

This is what the Hercules hook looks like:

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/hercules-hook/herculus_hook_main.jpg

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-21-2008 8:50 AM In reply to

Re: Update on my BL3000 purchase!

anampersand:

After some cleaning, replacing the fabric grills (massive cat hair! ugh!), polishing, running wire channeling down my walls, etc.  I just wanted to let everyone know the speakers sound and look FANTASTIC!  Gorgeous sound, and they go great with my two CX100s that I have hooked up.  

BTW, I really don't need any brackets -- maybe a rather corny way of hanging them, but on this side of the pond we have these self-anchoring hooks called Gorilla Hooks (I think?) and they hold up to 50lbs each.  Anyway, I have two hooked up per speaker into the little holes on either side of the top of the speaker, and they hang and look just fine.  (A little extra effort to make sure they're even, but the hooks cost a whopping four bucks -- worth the extra effort, I suppose!)

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help!  I'll try to get a picture of my setup and post it sometime this week.

Best,

Aaron 

Congrats on your purchase Aaron ; you'll have a lot of fun with those stunning looking en beautifull sounding speakers, but I would'nt trust these hooks for my BL3000 and risking them dropping to the floor causing the definite end of the speaker[s] I  have several sets BL4500 [identical to the BL3000 but slightly newer] and BL5000 around the house all hanging from the original brackets or STB's brackets and used "real" hooks to secure them. There will be a fair amound of vibrations using those speakers (while enjoying your music...:-) and cheap solutions can work, but I would'nt trust them and would play it safe but more costly.

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)