in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-14-2008 9:19 AM by mfishmike. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2008 1:40 PM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Restoring Redline 60's

Just picked up a pair of very sorry looking redline 60's (type6503) One problem I know they have is the ABR is bouncing around inside one of them. So I have some questions, as this is my first pair of Redlines.

1) Can they be easily recovered and if I do will I loose the Bang Olufsen writng from the corner.?

2) How do I go about repairing the ABR thingy?

3) Should there be a cover over the DIN connection if you are not using it?

4) Can the straps be removed without snapping them.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-30-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Restoring Redline 60's

Well I was like a small child at Christmas a could not wait.Laughing They are both now stripped down and the ABR's are gone in both. Only reason one was not making a noise was the plate had wedged under the cover. As I have been stripping them down I have taken a series of photo's and will put together some sort of Jandyt style thread. Doubt it will be as good as the master himself but I will try. Also I think I may have located a pair of kits to upgrade them to 60.2's so no ABR to worry about. Just checked all the speaker units and apart from from the centres been pushed in they are fine. Sucked the centres back out with the Vacuum Cleaner. Got a comment of "Do you know how that works" from SHMBOLaughingLaughing

Could still do with some answers about the covers or recovering of them though.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-30-2008 5:32 PM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

Check out this site: http://hometown.aol.com/beophile/rl60demo1.html

All you need to knowSmile
  • 03-30-2008 6:07 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks a lot for a great link. Wish my ABR's were as good as that/Laughing

CraigSmile

• 03-30-2008 6:46 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Craig:

I have taken a series of photo's and will put together some sort of Jandyt style thread. Doubt it will be as good as the master himself

CraigSmile

I'm extremely flattered CraigEmbarrassed Good luck with the Redlines mate.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-31-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Craig:

Could still do with some answers about the covers or recovering of them though.Wink

CraigSmile

Spray mount & a stipple brush are the chappies Craig. Stick the cloth with evostick in the grooves where the straps go first to give you some stability then a decent spray with spray mount over the B&O logo part follwed by a few minutes of stippling over this part will bring the raised lettering through. The corners are the hardest part to get right but don't be afraid to give the cloth some welly - it will take it.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-14-2008 9:19 AM In reply to

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Craig,

email me at mfishmike@mindspring.com

I'm setting up a new website and will be showing a permanent replacement fix for the ABR.  I'm just waiting on the webhosting company to get my DNS authorization transferred so I can upload my new site: www.speakerhobby.com  It should be up and running towards the end of next week, June 20th. 

The xmax and vas are less than the original ABR's but should only raise the enclosure's tuning freqency a few hz.  As surrounds in my HT, it won't matter as I have them xovered at about 60 to 80 hz.  I don't know if the rubber ABR's are available anymore and I would imagine they would be quite expensive.

Mike

http://www.SpeakerHobby.com
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)