in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-10-2007 4:26 AM by gk31ax. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2007 1:32 PM

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member
    I apologise in advance for what I'm sure is an often asked question. However, as this is the new, and not the old, forum, I can't spot any replies to it. Basically, I want to connect my BS2 to my Mac, rather than the PC I traditionally used it with. However, it doesn't appear in iTunes as I was told it would. It is, however, flashing green on the docking station after I pressed " <   <<   GO   GO" which through the internet I was worked out switched it to Mac mode. Anyway, I'll end my typing now and eagerly await the reply.
  • 05-03-2007 1:36 PM In reply to

Re: BS2

Did you update the software? You need to do it first via a PC if the BS2 is older. If it is any consolation, mine doesn't work now either - though it did for a while. I use an iPod now....
  • 05-05-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Well, I've now managed to change the music on my player, using my Macbook, although I'm not happy with B&O at all on this. To get it to work, I had to dig my old Dell out from behind the wardrobe to install a firmware update. This would be fine except for B&O's lack of clarrity. I understand that initially, the BS2 was PC only. Fair enough, we (and companies) all make mistakes from time to time. I see no reaseon however, why they couldn't make a piece of Mac software to communicate with it though in a PC manner.

I'm maybe just annoyed because the staff at the stores I went to had no clue about it. The first store (Covent Garden) was fairly rude/unhelpful and didn't give the sort of welcome I'd expect. High Street Kennsington was much more friendly and at least made a few phone calls to find out what the problem was. Further to all of this though, I was amazed that I wasn't able to update the firmware while I was in the shop itself - I would have expected them to offer to do this while I waited 5 minutes. Still, when I find myself with some money to spend, I know where I'll be heading with it.

The problem with putting music on though is still there to an extent. I can drag and drop music onto the BS2 using Finder, but I still don't see it appear in iTunes. Any ideas?
  • 05-05-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

Mine used to appear in iTunes but stopped I think when I updated to iTunes 7 some time ago. Just for you I have dug out the whole thing again - and it is now recognised! I have no idea why! Have you updated the software via the Mac again? There is another update you don't need the PC for!

• 05-05-2007 4:03 PM In reply to

I am using iTunes 7.1.1(5) and OSX 10.4.9 . I think the BS2 is as up to date as it can be!
  • 05-05-2007 4:22 PM In reply to

For reference...
    Filed under:
  • 05-06-2007 7:51 AM In reply to

I don´t know if this is of any help, but to support any non-ipod properly itunes needs a special plug-in for every other mp3-player to recognize it. So besides the firmware update of the bs2 you should install this too. You find the software in the download section of b&o.com. After installing the plug-in should be present in the following directory:

name of your harddisk_user_your name_library_itunes_itunes plug-ins_beosound2plug-in

If it´s already there, i don´t know, what´s wrong.

Regards, beoberlin
  • 05-06-2007 8:12 AM In reply to

It is there in mine. Been listening to the BS2 and it does produce a very pleasant sound. I am still not convinced the output is flat though! I think it has a built in loudness control! I think I may get our resident technical expert, Puncher, to test this one out!
  • 05-08-2007 10:40 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I've also seen that it takes a "docking" or two to make songs appear in iTunes.  With mine, the charger alternates between red and green with subsequent dockings.  It takes a "red" (I think, I could have this mixed up) docking to rebuild the index that iTunes uses to show tunes... at least this is my theory... I've never done a complete investigation :).

On a historical note, iTunes 7.0 broke the integration (at least you couldn't create new playlists within the BS2), but 7.1 fixed it and 7.1.1 works fine too.  I do recall having to re-install the plugin once or twice with an iTunes upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Stan
  • 05-10-2007 4:26 AM In reply to

Thanks very much, I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)