in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2009 11:59 AM by GuyHui . 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-25-2008 2:44 PM

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

New touchless remote made to B&O, very nice...

I remember watching al sorts of SciFi movies where they have a glowing glass with a lot of functions. There are no buttons there, but still they press on it and lots of interesting things happen.

This is the case with this new touchless universal remote control that will allow you to control all kinds of elecronics in your house.

picture-11.jpg

It was designed by Joris Van Gelder for Bang & Olufsen and we have a video of it working:

Very short  youtupe video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=181yeINhvWc&eurl=http://www.biztoolbelt.com/2008/03/touchless_universal_remote_con.html

Its better to watch this great  Flashplayer demo http://www.student.tue.nl/n/j.m.v.gelder/flash/#/BandORemote_Perspective/

The history are taken from here http://www.biztoolbelt.com/2008/03/touchless_universal_remote_con.html

• 03-25-2008 2:51 PM In reply to

Re: New touchless remote made to B&O, very nice...

There is a thread on this remote on the Dutch forum. Along with some other Dutch Beoworlders I'm lucky enough to test this remote. Let me know if your interested in my experiences and I will share them with you.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-25-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

beocool:
    There is a thread on this remote on the Dutch forum. Along with some other Dutch Beoworlders I'm lucky enough to test this remote. Let me know if your interested in my experiences and I will share them with you.

Yes Beocool, very interested. Please tell us more.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-25-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Today and tomorrow, several BeoWorld members (including me)
    will be testing the remote.
    Looking forward to it and to share it with you all.

• 03-25-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Looks really nice, but I could imagine thinking using it was awesome at first, but then after some time wanting a normal remote.  I really can't imagine finger gestures would be very efficient for certain tasks.  How would you switch to channel 812 if you're currently on 127?  I think something like adjusting detailed menu settings for a TV would also be a pain.  For a sound system I could see it working, but I can't picture using it for a complex home theater setup.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 03-25-2008 3:57 PM In reply to

Ignace:

Today and tomorrow, several BeoWorld members (including me)
    will be testing the remote.
    Looking forward to it and to share it with you all.

I'm still waiting for Joris' reply. He has agreed to make an appointment, but hasn't contacted me about a date yet, but my guess is I will have a go at it later this week or early next week.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-25-2008 9:26 PM In reply to

Very interesting concept. They need to develop of course a user interface for it.

If you check the Wii, they show very well how this is done. You use motion to move an arrow//cursor on the screen to select functions.

So you don't have to recall a special motion for channel 928 .....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-26-2008 4:34 AM In reply to

you have to admire bno , they seem to be the only company outside apple pushing the user experience envelope

with their limited r&d resources it's most impressive some of the kit they come up with !! 

popgear is grate™

• 03-26-2008 5:28 AM In reply to

• djjkroon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Uddel, the Netherlands
    • Posts 113
    • Founder

Hi all, I have tried and tested this remote control (prototype).

It did gave me a good feeling. It's not a normal box, but it is alive! It is a very useable jewell with WARP feelings. The way it interacts with the user is gread. Not having buttons or a display is no problem.

I would use it for listening to music ie for use with CD/RADIO/N.MUSIC because we don't have a B&O tv and listening to music and or radio is more my thing.

Changing sources is possible, only on a different manner. But I think you will like it. I have talked with Joris about the RC and the (non)possibilities. Changes can be made for better interactive use. But this prototype is still a jewell of a RC.

Joris has promissed to contact me/us again after having made the several visits to other testers. 

Muzies, Hans Kroon
  • 03-27-2008 9:43 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

• 03-28-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

Is this your kitchen (very cool) and why is there no B&O TV in the back?

• 03-28-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Unfortunately this is not my kitchen (i wish!)
    It is the kitchen of Dutch member mestreechteneer. 

• 03-28-2008 8:29 AM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

• 03-28-2008 8:58 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

It does look very nice imo. Also, it's now the subject of an article on engadget;

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/28/video-touchless-bando-remote-control-prototype/ 

Nice to see Beoworld getting referenced as well.

Robert. 

• 03-28-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

Hi:

Does anyone know when this will be available? Looks like I will be selling all my remotes to get hold of this one - bet it costs near to a grand though.

Sorry if this has already been put in the thread.. However I had a bit of a skim read and could not see it.

Thanks

Graham

• 03-28-2008 2:17 PM In reply to

This is the type of design that I expect from B&O.  I understand this remote is a design project but if it were available, I would buy 2.  One remote would be for the kitchen and the other for the bedroom.

I purchased a Beo5 today and it looks old fashioned compared to this although Beo5 has more features. 

Very impressive! 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-28-2008 3:07 PM In reply to

Let's hope it is rechargeable. Cool

Sorry to be boring here, but I would love to see a two-way touch screen, and with the stability issues of the remote that's going to be tricky, since much of the point here is to keep it undulating on the surface it's placed on.
    I don't find that it meets the Occam's Razor test of less is more - but maybe some of the people who have actually experienced it can  go into more detail.

1. How do I select channels, beyond just going up and down the available ones?
    2. How do I select functions, beyond simple volume control - say sources, set bass/treble/balance, etc. How do I know which source I'm on, in order to know which I'm switching on/off?
    3. What kind of motion sensors will be built in, to avoid having the volume go up when I move it, etc?

• 03-28-2008 3:21 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

in my eyes not practical ,needs to much effort. Have to move my whole hand/arm to go and change channels [:'(] Horror in daily use.
  • 03-28-2008 10:21 PM In reply to

>>Unfortunately this is not my kitchen (i wish!)
    It is the kitchen of Dutch member mestreechteneer. <<

I would love to see more pictures of that kitchen & rest of the house. Also, what B&O is around there? It looks very nice from the few pictures

Cheers

JK 

• 03-30-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

So far I haven't tested the remote. Joris will graduate this Thursday and still has some work to do... I will test it after his graduation however. Can't wait...

• 04-07-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

WOW!!! that is design! and more B&O! but.... it will never work will it?  I could see me launching this against a wall when changing channels but doing something else... could become quite irritating....

Like the Beo1, less was less! and quite a simple remote was practically (imo) difficult to use on a day to day basis. 

• 04-07-2008 5:09 PM In reply to

• djjkroon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Uddel, the Netherlands
    • Posts 113
    • Founder

I have been testing it and it works! I would buy one if possible.
    Muzies, Hans Kroon
  • 04-07-2008 9:18 PM In reply to

Fascinating concept!  This appears to be software driven.  It would be nice to have a simple gesture controlled remote...I would love to test one of this...

Looking forward to B&O implementing this concept in near future offerings.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 04-08-2008 7:02 AM In reply to

Am I correct in saying the remote will only work if placed on a flat surface?

I love the idea and see it as your day-to-day remote. I have programmed a select few channels that I often watch in a group (similar to a playlist). All I ever do is hop to the next the channel and change the volume. It is rare that I need to change setups, choose DVD, etc. so this remote would probably become my day-to-day remote, as long as it reads my input first time and I don't find it too tricky to use. My Beo4 / Beo5 would be my portable remote around the house and used for more complex inputs such as changing settings and controlling different sources.

• 06-16-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Wow, sorry i'm a bit late, i just saw this, i like that this is outside the boundaries of today, this is where we move forward with technology, pushing buttons on a remote will be old fashioned soon enough, beo 5 is BEHIND. B&O need a new chief designer, me thinks. He is very good, and has designed some incredible pieces, but it's time to move ahead of everyone else's ideas. Isn't that what B&O is supposed to be the leader of?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >