in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-26-2008 5:02 PM by auric. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-22-2008 10:16 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Beocord 9000 High Pitch Screech

Interesting development with my “new” Beocord 9000. I put on a cassette and the player had difficulty in playing the tape, fast forwarding, or reversing. I tried to move the tape manually with no difficulty, so I tried a second time and the tape played.

However the tape was playing distinctly slow but eventually came up to speed. Further into the tape, I noticed a slight high pitch screech above the music.

So I tried the same tape on my Beocord 8004 and it played the cassette perfectly.

This didn’t look good, so I tried a different and newer cassette tape on the 9000 and it played the newer tape just fine.

The seller from whom I purchased this Beocord 9000 from on eBay assured me that it was serviced by a B&O shop and the belts were changed.

This Beocord 9000 was also claimed to have exceptionally little use and the tightness, as compared to the 8004 would appear to confirm this.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

• 03-23-2008 3:17 AM In reply to

Re: Beocord 9000 High Pitch Screech

Jeff:

Try several more tapes and see if the problem crops up again. If it is the only the one cassette I wouldn't worry about it.

Some tapes have been known to "squeel" due to polymer breakdown leading to a condition called binder hydrolysis. This causes the tape to be sticky generating the squeel through stiction (stick, slip friction). This could be a result of different head material, speed and torque variations etc. The tape path on the 9000 and 8004 aren't exactly the same. You've got an extra head on the 9000 and the head materials are different.

In the professional audio world, binder hydrolysis is very common among ageing tapes.

Have you tried cleaning the tape path (pinch roller, capstan, record/playback heads)?

• 03-23-2008 8:12 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

The squeal has been on at least two tapes, but nothing on the one currently in the 9000.

This may require a bit more investigation, but I’ll bet you are right; it is the tapes breaking down with age.

No I have not carefully cleaned the tape path in the 9000, as a cursory inspection did not show any dirt build up. I did clean the 8004, but that unit has had a LOT more use compared with the 9000. On the other hand, the 8004 plays all my tapes, the 9000 doesn’t.

Perhaps I just need a little more attention to detail. Thanks for the information and the tip!

Jeff

• 03-23-2008 10:34 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Now before I clean the tape passage area, I would like to ask the best method. In the past, I have cleaned my Tandberg Reel to Reel as well as my Beogram 8004 with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Is this the best product to use?

Jeff

• 03-23-2008 11:31 PM In reply to

Jeff:

Q tip is fine.

Use isopropyl alcohol on the capstan and tape heads.

Use Fantastic on the pinch roller. Alcohol dries out the rubber shortening its life.

Derek 

• 03-25-2008 9:17 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Derek,

While I am sure that there is some polymer breakdown, it would appear that the big problem was my neglecting to clean the heads and pinch roller.

The heads were not too bad, but the pinch roller was covered in tape debris.

Previously, the Beocord 9000 had difficulty in fast forwarding and reversing, no longer. But, better still the squeal is completely gone even with the original “problem” 28 year old tape.

Thanks for the advice that “fixed” my new Beocord.

Jeff

• 03-26-2008 5:02 PM In reply to

Good going Jeff!

Derek

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)