in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2008 3:54 PM by soundproof. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2008 7:37 PM

Got my Beovision 8 an hour ago

I got my BC2 and Beovision 8 just now. This is my first ever B&O TV so I have not really a clue how to use it, but its playing a DVD now in under an hour - I did the setup on my own.

I am definitely happy with sound, speech is much clearer then using BL3/BL2 alone.

Few things I will test out over the weekend and post here:

- Apple TV. I will get mine tomorrow. I don't think the fast scroll will work but we shall see.

- Sound for playing Music. I connected the Lab 3 / Lab 2 combination to the TV but I like to try out if there is a difference if I connect them to the BC2.  

- Picture I am using SCARt between BC2 and TV. I am guessing this gives me the best picture. I also got a scart to Svideo/Component cable, I may just give that a shot.

- Picture Quality: I can't really judge that yet. I am watching Twin Peaks from the 80ies. The blacks are definitely black and colors are very warm and nice. I know the BC2 is not the best choice here as I miss the scaler. 

I update here over the next few days, feel free to post questions.

Cheers

JK 

P.s. 

I am one of the few who have a BS9000 right next to the BC2 so I can do head to head testing. The speakers are disconnected from teh BS9000 so it switches to the mode where it does not react to the remote. I will connect it to the BC2 via Line in / AUX. I will definitely try if I can get ML to work but doubt that. I will also compare sound. BC2 sounds different, I think somewhat with the mid range..

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-06-2008 8:12 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Re: Got my Beovision 8 an hour ago

Congratulations!!
    -Alex
  • 03-06-2008 9:31 PM In reply to

You will love the Apple TV. I strongly recommend that you upgrade the firmware to version 2.0 once you get it set up and networked. Under version 1.1, the Apple TV outputs only 1080i or 720p, but version 2.0 enables 1080p video output and Dolby 5.1 audio output. The difference in video and audio quality is substantial.
  • 03-06-2008 11:59 PM In reply to

I stopped watching the 80s Twin Peaks and just finished John Q and have now Bones Season 1 on.

Sound is very nice, picture is very nice as well. Stunning black levels. I tried both, all my lights on (really bright light) and now darkness and it performs well in both situations.  

For me this is perfect. I can see that people complain about the picture quality of LCD but for those more into music who are not picture aficionados this is a real good solution. With my Imac I always had problems with clarity of speech - much better now. I like the idea how it all plays together. You put in a music CD, the Lab 3 switch on. You put in a DVD, the TV and Lab 3 switch on. No fuss.

There are little things that you may no notice, i.e. the cable covers & management. You can see that they though that through. Also, that it doesn't have any buttons or visible logo is nice. Yes, the logo is not really visible unless you hit the right angle from the side. Very understated.

I was a bit nervous about the size, I wanted a smaller one but it works well. It doesn't overtake the room and it looks nice enough that you do not mind looking at it while it's off. 

I just have to hide the cables and get the Apple TV going.

Cheers

JK

P.s. Thanks Alex 

• 03-07-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

BeoBuff,

good points on the added output formats, but in JK's setup the screen is limited to 720p, and 2-channel/3 speaker stereo, and analog audio inputs.  I'd hate for hime to get frustrated with his new baby because he's 'missing' something.

Congrats JK, I think you're going to end up loving that setup!

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-07-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

JK….

You are not the only one that has BS9000 and BC2 in the same roomBig Smile. I also have them connected via ML in my livingroom...

If I want to listen music, then I’m pressing LINK and then CD.

If I want a DVD , then I press DVD on  the BEO 4 and  VOILA…..I have the 2 systems working…..

Are you happy with your BL3? I’m thinking buying a pair to replace my (PENTA+tube amplifier) but I’m not really convinced that the sound will improve!.

Enjoy your ‘babies’….

const

all sold!

• 03-07-2008 6:55 PM In reply to

Oops, sorry, I really didn't mean to rain on JK's parade. I did know but had forgotten, due to CRS syndrome, that BV8 has a 720p display. Anything more would be a waste in a 32" display. My misplaced enthusiasm was simply a reflection of my recent experience: the video output quality of my two Apple TVs, fed into a BS3 and a BV7, took a giant leap forward when I upgraded them to firmware version 2.0. In any event, he might want to upgrade the firmware on his Apple TV to 2.0, even if he has no immediate use for the 1080p resolution -- 720p and 1080i are still available as other options, and there is a lot of other new functionality as well. And he might want to try outputting 1080p from the Apple TV and letting the BV8 downconvert to 720p. I know, it flies in the face of conventional wisdom to feed a display anything other than its native resolution, but IME it sometimes produces better results. As always, I offer the standard disclaimer that YMMV. Mysterious indeed are the ways of up- and downconversions.
  • 03-07-2008 8:09 PM In reply to

Fast scrolling is working with Apple TV. I just did up and down, no content yet to try backward forward. This will be awesome!!!

No worries about raining on my parade. I am an occasional viewer and the BV8 makes perfect sense to me even without surround and full hd.

I think they priced it right for what it is. 

Cheers

JK 

• 04-14-2008 9:44 PM In reply to

I would just like to add to my comments above from five weeks ago that I have just also acquired a BV8-32, so I now have some first hand experience with this model as well as with the BV7 and BS3. My experience in trying to find the optimum resolution for each of my various outboard devices has been interesting, to say the least. I have an Apple TV connected to AV1 via the HDMI port, a Samsung T351 STB connected to AV2 via component video, a PC connected to AV3 via VGA, and a DVD-1 connected to AV4 (system module). I have tried using both the 720p and 1080i output resolutions on the Apple TV and have found that 720p gives appreciably better resolution on the BV8. On the other hand, I tried the same two HD output resolutions on the Sammy STB and found that 1080i output gives better results than 720p on the BV8. Go figure! Just to add to the confusion, the PC input from my Dell laptop works best with a output resolution of 1360 x 768, which is of course the native resolution of the BV8. And my aging DVD-1 doesn't look too bad at all, considering that it outputs only 480i via S-video and has no upconverting capability. It looks much better than a Sony DVD that does have 480p upconversion.
  • 04-18-2008 5:27 PM In reply to

The latest update of the AppleTV has introduced something they call 1080iHD, check that option and you have the perfect resolution for your BV8. There is no programming on AppleTV in 1080p, so there's little point in using that setting, unless your screen is 1080p only ...

The 1080iHD got even better black leves and details in the whites, and the image got a lot more stable. How could I tell about the stability? I was using the Apple images as my screen saver, and the birch forest one (birch trees and lots of autumn yellows) used to oscillate as it moved vertically across the screen in the "multi-image" screen saver setting.

After the 1080iHD update there's no longer any oscillation, rock steady image. 

• 04-19-2008 8:35 PM In reply to

soundproof:

The latest update of the AppleTV has introduced something they call 1080iHD, check that option and you have the perfect resolution for your BV8.

Actually, the 1080i resolution has been available since several previous updates, at least since 2.0. However, as stated above, I find that the 720p resolution gives a far better and cleaner picture quality on my BV8 than the 1080i resolution, which indicates that the BV8 does not do a great job at deinterlacing *and* downscaling. Of course, your mileage may vary.

soundproof:

There is no programming on AppleTV in 1080p, so there's little point in using that setting, unless your screen is 1080p only ...

I use the 1080p output from Apple TV for both my BS3 and BV7, and it provides a superior image quality than either 720p or 1080i. However, when an Apple TV is connected to a BV8 via HDMI, the Apple TV senses that the display is not capable of 1080p resolution and offers only a choice of 720p or 1080i.

• 04-22-2008 3:54 PM In reply to

The resolutions that are shown in your display depend upon the kind of connection you are using.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)