in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2008 5:21 PM by zomborama. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2008 12:12 AM

Beogram RX2 Soft Sound

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I picked up a RX-2 from ebay in nice shape with a MMC 5 cartridge but the sound seems very soft with very little treble but not muted like a blown tweeter or anything just not so defined. I know it's subjective because the LPs I'm playing may suck.

It has RCA cables which I plugged into my Sunfire Theater Grand pre-amps phono inputs. I also grounded the wire on the chassis. It doesn't sound bad but it seems like it's missing something. The bass and treble controls are set at normal. This is my first turntable so I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like, as silly as that sounds. Is it the cartridge you think, or perhaps something else?

Thanks, Peter 

Filed under:
  • 02-21-2008 3:38 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram RX2 Soft Sound

If you are getting sound at a reasonably normal level, I suspect the cartridge. The description you give suggests a worn stylus. The RX2 is a typical B&O deck and the treble should be fine. You have to decide whther it is worth spending money getting a Soundsmith SMMC4 replacement. It will cost a fair bit more than the deck! It will improve the sound no end!
  • 02-21-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Have you adjusted the tracking force properly?  This likely wouldn't change the sound drastically, but since you said this is your first turntable I wanted to make sure you know to adjust it.  Also, I'd recommend buying at least one new LP to serve as a benchmark for your turntable.  It will allow you to eliminate the LP as any source of problems you have now or later on.  By new I don't mean some LP that's 30 years old but happens to be unopened.  I mean a new LP that was actually made in the last 10 years or so.

Do you know whether the stylus itself is clean?  I don't know where you're located, but see if you can find a Mr. Clean eraser at your supermarket/grocery store.   Moisten the white sponge side, and carefully dip the diamond tip into the sponge several times, but DON'T drag the diamond along the sponge.  This sounds like a strange method to clean the diamond, but I saw it recommended by several guys really experienced with turntables, and after trying it myself it really works.  The more traditional method is to wet a soft bristle toothbrush with Isopropyl alcohol and light brush the diamond.

As Peter said, you may need a new stylus, and the soundsmith smmc4 isn't cheap compared to the price you probably paid for your turntable.  You can also watch ebay for another mmc-5, but the amount you'll save might not be worth it, as the soundsmith smmc4 would likely sound better.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 02-21-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice. I have adjusted the tracking force to 1.5 as recommended in the manual for my MMC5. You're right, it makes sense to use a recent album as a benchmark before spending money again on a new cartridge. I'll keep you posted with what happens.

Peter 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)