in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2007 3:44 PM by pedrompinto. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (46 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2007 3:03 PM

Favourite song on favourite B&O system?

Just been listening to some music this afternoon and was wondering what others' favourite song is and what their favourite B&O set up is/would be to listen to it through? I reckon there will be a wide range of opinions on this one!

To start the ball rolling I would say that my favourite is the CD single version of 'Forever' by The Charlatans played on my Beogram CDX, Beomaster 8000 and Beovox Pentas. The bass is TREMENDOUS on this track through the Pentas and I might have annoyed my neighbours by having the volume at 4.8 (for those who don't have a BM 8000, this is loud!).

What do others think then? (no points for pointing out that even 'Fog on the Tyne' by Gazza and Lindisfarne would sound good through BL5s)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 04-28-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

Re: Favourite song on favourite B&O system?

http://www.amazon.com/Village-Sessions-John-Mayer/dp/B000LPRNA4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4284732-4484748?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177788570&sr=1-1

This one one my BS9000 with BL2/BL3. This is very nicely produced and my setup shows what it can do when you pop in a decent CD.

Unfortunatly most CDs I have and like are mediocre and the BL2/BL3 are a bit wasted .....

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-28-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Got it on at the moment. It's my all time favourite album, and the best song HAS to be St. Robinson in his Cadillac Dreams.

Amazing...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-28-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If am showing my B&O to visitors I usually put on We Come One by Faithless.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-28-2007 4:14 PM In reply to

Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton on my Beogram 4000 and BM4400 through my BBC LS3/5As. Always reminds me of my wife the night of my brother's wedding. She was wearing a beautiful red dress and her hair was long and very blonde. She looked stunning and was the best looking girl there. I was so proud to be her husband.
  • 04-28-2007 4:15 PM In reply to

Slide away by Oasis - 9000 blaring through lab8000s and a lab2!

• 04-28-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

Forever by The Charlatans is a great choice, i love that band.

If i am showing off my system (BS3200 & Lab4000) or taking a CD to a dealership to test the products i always play F.E.A.R by Ian Brown. Which is probably one of the cleverest lyrics ever written.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 04-28-2007 6:08 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If I'm testing out hifi, it's always something off Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-28-2007 6:44 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Riders on the Storm, The Doors 5.1 version from perception album. On a Beosound 9000, with BL3 at front and BL6000 at rear. A voice can't get any deeper than Jim Morrison's in that song.

Gustavo

• 04-28-2007 7:41 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

ArgyleMoss:

Cannot argue against this one but ny all time favourite is "Shine on you crazy diamond" (Pink Floyd) on vinyl on my BS7000 & Penta's - just sublimeSmile

Chris,

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-28-2007 8:26 PM In reply to

>>The Doors 5.1 version from perception album. On a Beosound 9000, with BL3 at front and BL6000 at rear. A voice can't get any deeper than Jim Morrison's in that song<< 

Do you mean 5.1 Surround? How does this work with a BS9000? Or is it just stereo on 4 speaker?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-29-2007 1:33 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Hard Techno with 170 BPM on my Beocenter 2 ;de toma sub ;Beolab 3
  • 04-29-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

'She sells sanctuary' - The Cult

Beomaster 4400 + Bevox 5700 - Its a bit brutal but very exciting and not quite as thuggish as perhaps 'Wildfower' by The Cult would be.

'Equinoxe' - Jean  Michelle Jarre

Beosystem 6500 + Pentavox  .Yup a ibt of an obvious one but they were practically made for each onther

• 04-29-2007 6:17 AM In reply to

Currently Gran Turismo on my new lab9s, but all time favourite album is Wish You Were Here
  • 04-29-2007 6:20 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Medogsfat:
    ArgyleMoss:

Cannot argue against this one but ny all time favourite is "Shine on you crazy diamond" (Pink Floyd) on vinyl on my BS7000 & Penta's - just sublimeSmile

Chris,

Having heard this album played on Chris's setup, I have to agree it sounds so good. Don't forget to mention your Cona though Chris.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-29-2007 6:20 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Medogsfat:
    ArgyleMoss:

Chris,

Having heard this album played on Chris's setup, I have to agree it sounds so good. Don't forget to mention your Cona though Chris.

CraigBig Smile

• 04-29-2007 6:40 AM In reply to

Playing it at the minute! Laughing Lucky enough to have the half speed mastered version.
  • 04-29-2007 6:45 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter:
    Playing it at the minute! Laughing Lucky enough to have the half speed mastered version.

Where did you get that copy from, sounds interesting.

CraigBig Smile

• 04-29-2007 6:56 AM In reply to

I bought it new in the early 80s - I actually went through three of them because the first two had a fault in them! They skipped and when I took the second back, the shop got snotty with me and said it was my equipment. I made them ring up my dealer who told them that I had a pretty new Beogram 4004 and that it didn't skip! They replaced the record! I suppose I did look very young then!Laughing

It is one of the CBS Mastersound Series. 

• 04-29-2007 7:19 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Now got my copy playing. Been a long time since I have listened to this album. Going to have to look for a copy like the one you have Peter. How different/better does it sound compared to the oroiginal? Like the 30th anniversary edition of DSOTM to the original?

CraigBig Smile

• 04-29-2007 8:19 AM In reply to

Better quality vinyl and so quieter - though mine could do with a good deep clean! - and I used to think it sounded more detailed. I am not sure my ears are up to telling the difference now!
  • 04-29-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

On my Beolab 5000 - Beovox 5000 - Beovox 2500 Cube .......

I did meet 'Soundproof' lately and he presented me to the most wonderfull peace of music from Norway.

Tord Gustavsen Trio - BEING THERE  --- Recorde at Rainbow Studio in Oslo by Jan Erik Kongshaug.

The quality of this recording i really exelent and the sound of this music on the Beolab 5000 system is 'from another planet'.

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 04-29-2007 9:54 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

the song that has been played the most on my BV7-BL8000-BL6000 setup is "fix you" by coldplay. (don't own a music system yet...) i prefer the stereo sound to the "double stereo", so the 6000s are mostly in standby.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-29-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

Wow! What a varied response in terms of set ups and musical taste :)

It's good to see that there are others keeping the indie flag flying out there and I'm not the only one stuck listening to Oasis, The Charlatans etc. on my system. As I started the thread, I'll add that my second favourite song is 'History' by The Verve - the strings at the beginning sound so rich through my Pentas!

I bet Frede's Beolab 5000 system sounds superb. One day I would very much like to own one myself!

I wonder what the worst song on the worst system would be? My vote would have to be my 7 inch single version of 'Fog on the Tyne' by Gazza and Lindisfarne played on a Beocenter 2000 through some Beovox MC35s - a truly terrible record on a possibly the worst Beocenter ever!?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 04-29-2007 11:33 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Craig:

If am showing my B&O to visitors I usually put on We Come One by Faithless.

CraigBig Smile 

Forgot to mention, my system is a BS3000 masterlinked to a BV3-32. Speakers are those of the BV3, no external speakers at the moment. Although my dealer did phone me last week to offer me some Beolab1's. Lack of funds at presentSadso had to pass.

CraigBig Smile

Page 1 of 2 (46 items) 1 2 Next >