in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-17-2008 5:55 PM by kevinoils. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2008 12:44 PM

• prime
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

MMC cartridges - I need a backup

Hi my name is Rich and this is my first time posting in this forum and any help would be appreciated.  I have a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX 2 turntable.  I would like to get a mmc cartridge as a backup.  Is there any chance I can get one under $100.  I seen some prices online and they seem a bit high.  Thanks again for you help!

• 02-06-2008 2:06 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: MMC cartridges - I need a backup

Hi Rich & welcome to BeoworldSmile

Is it fair to assume that the cartridges you have seen on line are from www.sound-smith.com ?

If so then they really are your best bet by a long shot. Their SMMC4 is far superior to the orignal B&O MMC4, I know as I own one as do other Beoworld members! Not as refined cosmetically but worth every penny though. I wouldn't bother with a 2nd hand B&O item as the suspension is likely to have hardened by now and you have no guarantees over its longevity, unlike the soundsmith ones which have a full warranty.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-07-2008 5:41 PM In reply to

• prime
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

thanks...seems like my best bet.  Just checking :)
  • 04-17-2008 2:34 PM In reply to

Where are you? If you want it, I could sell you a good TX turntable and MMC2 cart for $200 but you'd need to pick it up in northern NJ, USA. phil
  • 04-17-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

Hi Chris

Do you know of anyone that has sent their MMC range for re-tiping or a new cantilever etc from Soundsmith? I am considering sending a broken MMC 4 to them. I assume that they deal with the suspension etc when it is taken apart by their engineer Peter. I just done know how they get into these as I cant see any way of taking them apart, any knowledge on this stuff.

Ps very temted to get a Soundsmith stylus, though not their new top of the range model lol

Kev

• 04-17-2008 4:08 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Kevin,

no I don't and to be honest it would probably be just as expensive to have done (if not more so) than buying new.

Chris.

PS. Have you checked the wanted section?

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-17-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

Hi Chris

I checked with Soundsmith website and they do replace the cantilever on original cartriges for less cost than buying their own model, a replacement ruby cantilever and nude contact line diamond on an MMC 4 same as smmc 2($529.95) would cost $250. I have sent them an e-mail to query this.

I am really tempted as is my new B&O converted buddy to get one, either a new smmc4 as I trust what you say that they are good.

Oh checked wanted section you have replied to my post ,,,hey cheers Chris. I would be interested in the 2200 platter and hopefully will maybe get a closer match to the original also soon, the one ive got is badly marked, scratched. How much you need to get it on its way?

Cheers

Kev

• 04-17-2008 4:35 PM In reply to

very interesting pricing there...

i wonder if they do "other" rebuilds besides just the needle, re: i have a mmc 3 w/ the right channel out, otherwise fine.

thx for the info...
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-17-2008 5:55 PM In reply to

Hi Jeff

I am waiting on a reply from Soundsmith nothing as yet, but its just how far can they go in the re-build, one of your channels is out, I wonder what they could/would do for that? I think also the pricing is good if they can re-use the MMC4 cartriges, Chris mentioned the suspension going due to age I am curious to know what they can do in these situations if the repair that?

Cheers

Kev

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)