in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2007 9:06 AM by beodude. 54 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2007 3:56 AM

• joff135
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Somerset, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Serene...is it worth £800???

Hi all,

i've been looking at the Serene...and i personally really like the style of it...but i am a bit worried about the fact that mobile technology has moved on at a hell of a pace!

Do you...especially those who already own a Serene...feel that even if it was worth the £800 when it came out over a year ago...is it worth the same now? The camera function is very out of date now for example with only 0.3 Megapixels as some phones now have 3.2 Megapixels.

I have spoken to a few dealers and all but 2 members of B & O staff have said that it is worth the money...but then they would really!

I know that it does what it does and it is a very sexy bit of kit to most of us...and the dealers say that another model is not due out for a long time to come...but would you Serene owners buy one now for £800?

Regards, Joff 

• 04-25-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: Serene...is it worth £800???

Bought one but have since moved on. Didn't really think about the price as I just wanted one but it cannot be described as good value. Find it interesting that most people I know who have one have another phone for work!
  • 04-25-2007 9:54 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

If all you want and need is a mobile telephone, then it's an eccentric & beautiful way to own one. I am needing a new mobile and have made the decision to buy a Serene.

I am buying it for it's individual style, calm simplicity and outstanding quality & finish. It is not available on a plan like all other mobiles, hence, the AU$2000 price seems very steep, but to buy the latest fashion phones from Nokia, Motorola or Samsung, the outright price is in the ranges from AU$600 to the AU$2500 mark, so i suppose it is not too expensive in comparison.

I plan to keep the Serene for a relatively long time, so in conclusion to your question, i beleive the price is fair if your priorities are along the lines of what i've mentioned here. Don't forget that, it IS of course Bang & Olufsen!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-25-2007 9:59 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I have one after having used all kinds of mobile phones with all kinds of gadgets. Personally I wanted something that will cause the same wow effect that causes my Beosound 9000 or my BV7 in my living room. I want to take this effect out there. And Serene is just about that. The act of answering a call in a bar is really impressive. It will catch the attention of all people. 

I don't care for a phone that does everything. I have a PDA without phone for that purpose. As per the camera, I use it only is only for emergencies, and to me it does the work very well (I have shot only 5 pictures since I got it in January). Bear in mind that the problem of a camera in a mobile phone is not only the pixels but the optics, and that will never be enough in a small phone.

If you are looking for the wow effect, this is the phone. If you will shot pictures frequently and don't mind the feel of plastic, then look for something different. Serene is like a fine fountain pen. Is not that easy to use it but it's a personal accessory. Like a fine watch.

Gustavo

• 04-25-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

The phone certainly offers the wow effect and when it comes to style its great, but as others have said in terms of technology and functionality we have moved on.

I did not buy one, cost and value for money was one reason, the other was in this day and age I wanted a 3G (Third Generation) phone and the serene did not provide this.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-25-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

There were loads of debates on this issue on the old forum and also a poll. According to the poll most Beoworlders who owned Serene said they loved it, myself included.

A lot of the debates were also about what the Serene couldn't do that a run of the mill mobile can. ie download polyphonic ringtones, play MP3s send video etc.

As I stated on tuther forum, It's called Serene not Funfair!

Yes I would buy it again.

Andy T.

P.S. Don't ask Lee what he thinks of it, he's biased.Wink

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-25-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

I do like the design but not the ring tones. I would pay £300 tops for one. I would never pay £800 for a mobile phone whatever it did and whoever it was made by. Far too much money for a mobile phone. I would rather buy a BeoCom 2 for the house, as indeed I did!
    "We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 04-25-2007 12:52 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

It is Definately not worth the money. in fact the honest B&O dealers I know think its a joke. Its interesting that most indiciduals who own one also have another back up.

I had one for 3 months before I sold it on ebay . I really cant understand why one would want one today at that kind of money.

if you want a stylish handset with superb menus look at the LG prada phone, touch sensitive, great menus ect. If you want a quality built phone then the Nokia 8800 scirroco is good( but suffers with poor battery life as does the serene.) or a super slim mobile sony 880I is only 9 mm thick. All these models make the serene look yesterdays technology and a clumsy lump imho Individuals who still maintain that serene draws attantion - compared to latest offerings afforementioned , it lags and by some margin

• 04-25-2007 1:05 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

It's a very personal matter. People asks me why am I paying 11,000€ for a TV from B&O. Or why paying 100€ for a silk tie. I have a company-provided mobile phone that I can replace every 6 months, taking always the latest from Nokia but it's hidden at the back of my drawer. If you have a serene you will never be at the top of technology, agree, but the cold feel of the aluminium hinge is great.

Gustavo

• 04-25-2007 1:09 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Glasgow
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Just to build on philipsmz333's point above, it isn't really the cost of the phone which is relevant, it is the total cost of owning and using the phone.

When I took out my plan (with Orange), I negotiated a £10pm reduction in my bill and £100 cash back because I did not need (or want) a handset. It is an eighteen month contract so the £280 reduction effectively makes the Serene only cost £520. Still expensive but much more palatable!

It is such an excellent phone that if you are holding back because of the cost, phone your service provider and see if you can get something similar.

Michael

• 04-25-2007 1:18 PM In reply to

355f:

if you want a stylish handset with superb menus look at the LG prada phone, touch sensitive, great menus ect. If you want a quality built phone then the Nokia 8800 scirroco is good( but suffers with poor battery life as does the serene.) or a super slim mobile sony 880I is only 9 mm thick. All these models make the serene look yesterdays technology and a clumsy lump imho Individuals who still maintain that serene draws attantion - compared to latest offerings afforementioned , it lags and by some margin

I was relieved to have almost read everyone's replies to this post without hearing anything about the new LG Prada, but sadly 355f, you've let me down. Smile The LG Prada must be THE perfect cell phone for those who really do fit the 'chav' expression. It has NO style. It's made by LG who may I add make washing machines, and the Prada label has nothing at all to do with the phone. I've even given it a chance by playing with a real one in store, and it feels just as awful as their ridiculously named LG Chocolate. This is all a marketing stunt for LG, which for many will seem cuul. But I think such a phone is terribly vulgar and a huge embarressment and flop for Prada.

The Nokia 8800 does look good and is currently what I have. Some of the new Samsung's have a smart and modern look although a little plastic too. But as already mentioned, the Serene isn't the best phone for bits and pieces. Just looks great and has satisfactory functionality I think.

• 04-25-2007 1:21 PM In reply to

Michael:

Just to build on philipsmz333's point above, it isn't really the cost of the phone which is relevant, it is the total cost of owning and using the phone.

When I took out my plan (with Orange), I negotiated a £10pm reduction in my bill and £100 cash back because I did not need (or want) a handset. It is an eighteen month contract so the £280 reduction effectively makes the Serene only cost £520. Still expensive but much more palatable!

It is such an excellent phone that if you are holding back because of the cost, phone your service provider and see if you can get something similar.

Michael

That's a very interesting and valid point! I'm this close --- from getting one Cool

• 04-25-2007 1:32 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Well actually the input from Prada makes for a menu sytem which is very good indeed and far removed from LG menus of old- As to style - well its  a personal thing - actually I quite like it!

Yes, your right!  LG does make washing machines and hoovers ect as does panasonic and samsung- mmm -the very brands that form the backbone of all B&O video equipment!!!

."But I think such a phone is terribly vulgar and a huge embarressment and flop for Prada."

well its just out! so not sure how one comes to that conclusion- maybe you are referring to the serene!!!

• 04-25-2007 2:44 PM In reply to

355f:

Well actually the input from Prada makes for a menu sytem which is very good indeed and far removed from LG menus of old- As to style - well its  a personal thing - actually I quite like it!

Yes, your right!  LG does make washing machines and hoovers ect as does panasonic and samsung- mmm -the very brands that form the backbone of all B&O video equipment!!!

."But I think such a phone is terribly vulgar and a huge embarressment and flop for Prada."

well its just out! so not sure how one comes to that conclusion- maybe you are referring to the serene!!!

Did you like the D&G Motorola?

In my opinion it's just a very cheap way of making a poor cell phone brand look better. You can't convince me that Prada designed the layout for the new menu on this new phone?

• 04-25-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

Hey joff135

I was instore today having a proper look over a Serene with intent to purchase. I have been watching a few on Ebay and nearly got scammed when bidding on a new boxed Serene but that's off topic a bit. The price tag is steep for a mobile that technically lags behind the newer phones but i can't deny the call of the wow factor of this phone. It'll seriously turn heads when used. Design-wise i don't think it will date as quickly as some of the designs of other mobs that are out there. The design doesn't follow the trend it makes its own statement. Basically i feel it'll become a design classic if it isn't already. Based on this i reckon i'll be picking up mine at the end of the week.

That's my two pennethYes

• 04-25-2007 3:33 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

If it's worth £800 (or any other price) I would leave to everyone to decide for themselves...

I like the phone for reasons many here already listed, but (somewhat sadly) accepted/expected that very soon I would be looking at the message that goes something like this, eg: "Sorry, but your phone doesn't support video streaming"...etc. etc. Not that I would neccessarily watch some video clips provided by my mobile phone operator, but anyway ...  

It's just a gadget (within mobile phones), anyway.

• 04-25-2007 3:45 PM In reply to

headfirst:

Hey joff135

I was instore today having a proper look over a Serene with intent to purchase. I have been watching a few on Ebay and nearly got scammed when bidding on a new boxed Serene but that's off topic a bit. The price tag is steep for a mobile that technically lags behind the newer phones but i can't deny the call of the wow factor of this phone. It'll seriously turn heads when used. Design-wise i don't think it will date as quickly as some of the designs of other mobs that are out there. The design doesn't follow the trend it makes its own statement. Basically i feel it'll become a design classic if it isn't already. Based on this i reckon i'll be picking up mine at the end of the week.

That's my two pennethYes

Couldn't agree more. Happy shopping!

• 04-25-2007 4:33 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

No I dont like the D&G phone

If you go to one of the many very good mobile phone review sites you will have a very good idea of what these product are all about. In fact yes. Prada did design the layout for the phone. www.yourmobilephonereviews.co.uk/lg_ke850_prada_reviews.htmry

What is a good cell phone brand as far as you are concerned??

I have had 4 Nokia 8800 all replaced through faults, and the audio perfomance is poor as is the battery life, in other words the most basic phone that costs 10th of the price perfoms better. the same for the serene. It has poor battery life, poor ergonomics, its large and ungainly and costs £800!!! not for nothing can you find this phone in quantity on ebay for a fraction of its new cost- obviously individuals are voting with their feet!

If one likes it for the styling alone thats fair enough pay £800, if you really want one bid £300 on e bay you wont be far off!

• 04-25-2007 9:11 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Hold on, don't get too carried away, these phones you've mentioned above (Prada & D&G), are in a very different ball park. The Serene is original. It's love or hate. If you want to be different and want simplicity, then go and spend your money on one. If your down to earth and want a phone with function and what everyone else has got, then go into the next phone store and sign up for a feature packed phone and payment plan.

It is not worth the price if you don't agree with it's design philosophy.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-25-2007 9:45 PM In reply to

I am really enjoying my Serene. It has none of the extras that I never use anyway and is straightforward. It is really elegant.I have two criticisms though. The sort of rubberized exterior shows every greasy fingerprint and after holding and using it, it can become quite marked. Secondly I have spent quite a lot of time looking for a pouch and eventually found a leather one (not Luis Vuitton!) for about $30AU. Without it I think it would get really damaged, especially around keys and coins in one's pocket or bag.paddy2042

Patrick

• 04-26-2007 2:52 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Will be the new Serene 2 worth 800 ?
  • 04-26-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

I have had a Serene for some time now and I think it is the best phone I've ever had.  Alot of the critisism about Serene is related to lack of functions, poor camera and old technology.  In my opinion, the purpose of a phone is to talk to people.

All of the phones I have used previously have had very poor sound quality, the Serene delivers this excellently, I will accept that those of you that text alot might find the key configuration a little more testing but it is not impossible, I'm really not that good at texting anyway and much prefer to have a conversation.

The lack of mega pixel camera means nothing to me because I have a digital camera which I am very happy with, I have taken pictures with the Serene when I had to, to document a damaged delivery and it served its purpose pefectly.  The picture was absolutely fine when transfered on to the computer.

I don't see the point of adding technology for the sake of it, MP3 player and games for instance and don't get me started on downloading ring tones.

Serene is what I think is a 'grown ups' phone, it is simplicity, well designed, well built, easy to use, does the things I need it to do very well, I know that originally it did not sync with outlook contacts but now it does.  I do accept that some of you will need a phone to be a business device and phones like the Blackberry are hard to beat for that purpose.

So for me it is worth every penny, the latest fashion phone from Nokia, Samsung etc. sim free, can cost around £500-£600 anyway so £800 is not a huge difference for me.  

• 04-26-2007 4:50 AM In reply to

Interesting debate guys!

I have a Samsung Z560 3g HSDPA enabled mobile, which I use as a broadband connection at home as I do not have a landline. I am with T-Mobile and I have their WebNWalk package that allows me unlimited access to the internet when out and about as well as using the phone as a modem via my laptop (Handy when on a train for hours out of the office!) It works like a dream as it utilises 3.5g connection when in a good signal area, and then drops to 3g, or dial up speed in other areas.

One thing I noticed on the B&O website is it sates the Serene can be used to connect to the interent, using a network client, I assume that this means it would not work in the same way as my existing mobile through T-Mobile? The reason I ask is I am unhappy with the Samsung I haver as it has an annoying feature, it shuts down the screen after a few seconds when you close it ans as such if I need to see if anyone has called me, I have to open the phone as the front display does not show if I have a missed call, voicemail or a text! Also the battery life is appalling as they give you two batteries for it as Samsung now that it is bad! So I assume the Serene is similar? I also asked Samsung where I can get a desk docking station so I can charge my mobile whilst at work and they said they don't make them for my model! Hence I have to keep the spare battery with me in case I run out!

Are B&O & Samsung ever going to make the Serene 3g with HSDPA? If they do I will defiantly consider purchasing one, then I can get rid of my awful Samsung (my contract ruins out in Jan 08)

History - it's just one thing after another!

• 04-26-2007 12:59 PM In reply to

Hi Ricardo,

Your Samsung is a good cell phone in my opinion, however I'm suprised to hear what you said about the front display not informing you of any missed calls. Maybe it's worth have a peek in the settings because I know that previous Samsung clamshells could definitely do this.

The current Serene does not have 3G, but has something like WAP / GPRS I think, but don't quote me for certain. However my local dealer has hinted that Serene 2 is a long way off for now, so there's probably a good chance it will have 3G.

• 04-27-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

Thanks Henry

Unfortunately I think the issue with my Samsung, is it has been specifically designed for T-Mobile as it does not appear anywhere on the Samsung website (Although the Serene appears!), and when I asked Samsung why it did this, they couldn't tell me!  It also renders the MP3 player function on it useless as the touch sensitive buttons on the front also stop working!

It does the job I need it to do for now, but I will see what the Serene2 has when it comes out!

Richard

History - it's just one thing after another!

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >