in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-28-2007 8:42 PM by SWISS_2. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2007 10:20 AM

• fbaker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Warning: B&O phone economically obsolete within 5 years

I bought a BeoCom 6000 Cordless DECT Telephone in 2002. It stopped working 6 months ago ( no one seems to be sure why) and my local store informs me that it will cost an £89 "assessment fee" to send it to Gloucester and then possibly another £100 to fix it. It will cost £175 to buy a new handset, effectively making my existing handset economically obsolete within five years of purchase which I find absolutely unbelievable.

Never again - and I will be warning all my friends.

• 12-28-2007 10:35 AM In reply to

Re: Warning: B&O phone economically obsolete within 5 years

Before you get to upset about your faulty Beocom 6000 phone, can we first determine what the problem is ? Most Beocom hardware faults can be quickly resolved without costly assessment fees.

You say it stopped working 6 months ago, what exact stopped working ? is there a display ? and which version do you have ?

Mark I has a black DOT at the 9 o'clock position of the dial and a Mark II has INT on the button

Regards Keith....

• 12-28-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

Have a good collection of 6000s and have had some for many years. None have gone wrong and they remain the best phone I have ever used. One bad one does not make the whole lot rubbish.
  • 12-28-2007 11:26 AM In reply to

How many handsets from other manufacturers from 5 years ago are economically repairable if they go wrong? I personally can't think of any. As Keith says it is entirely possible that your handset is economically repairable with the application of a little thought and patience.

Simon 

• 12-28-2007 11:53 AM In reply to

fbaker:

I bought a BeoCom 6000 Cordless DECT Telephone in 2002. It stopped working 6 months ago ( no one seems to be sure why) and my local store informs me that it will cost an £89 "assessment fee" to send it to Gloucester and then possibly another £100 to fix it. It will cost £175 to buy a new handset, effectively making my existing handset economically obsolete within five years of purchase which I find absolutely unbelievable.

Never again - and I will be warning all my friends.

Where do you live and do you have another dealer nearby?  The BeoCom 6000 handset is very easy to service, whether software or hardware related.  If your dealer values your business they should not be so hasty to try and sell you a new handset when your old one could be repaired in about 20mins.

• 12-28-2007 12:02 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

A great deal of Beocom 6000 repairs are caused by moisture damage.  Most owners never admit spilling something on the phone or getting it wet.   But when the phone is opened up it is easy to see if that was the problem as the circuit contacts turn green.  
  • 12-28-2007 12:05 PM In reply to

You're absolutely right and in that case a new PCB should be about £60-£70, so clearly economical to repair.
  • 12-28-2007 12:30 PM In reply to

You can in fact get a complete B&O repair kit as shown below for between £55 & £65 which including a new front panel.

Upgrade kit

Regards Keith....

• 12-28-2007 12:34 PM In reply to

Well illustrated Keith, so I would say that in this case (although we are still unsure exactly what the problem with the phone is) it is the dealer making this an uneconomical repair and not B&O.
  • 12-28-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

I have 6 Beocom 6000's around the house. All purchased on ebay in various states of disrepair and all fixed and working for next to nothing.

The majority required new batteries (£7.50p) and one required a new set of buttons (£15). All working fine and have been for many months now.

My suggestion is either continue discussions with Keith who will undoubtably be able to tell you how to fix the phone or change your dealer.

On second thoughts, change your dealer anyway!

Regards Graham

• 12-28-2007 5:24 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

My first BC6000 has been working faultlessly for 5 years ish now.

My second new generation worked fine until it met some moisture which was repaired by my B&O dealer for a very reasonable sum which escapes me now.

My mother's had  more trouble with her two but only the usual which always have been tirelessly been sorted by our faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic dealer. You know who you are!! Merry Christmas  you fine Gent!

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 12-28-2007 8:42 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

A similar experience once with a new Beocom 6000 purchased in Frankfurt. I called the store using our BC 2, and the salesperson offered to look at and repair the phone, but then suggested ( helpfully ) to look at the battery.

The battery was dead, and a suggestion was made to purchase one locally, Total cost 5 Sfr. and it continues to operate fine. ( In hindsight, those instructions were in the manual that came with the purchase ).

There was never a mention of an " assessment fee, " a rather dubious statement, as it sounds as though the phone would be sent out for review and repairs elsewhere by one of the sales staff. Besides having you drive down with your phone, or post it in at your expense, what service do they perform for this fee ?

Opening your box delicately, observing vital signs of life, praying over it, applying mouth-to-mouth resuscitation,  or perhaps defribrillation ?  All kidding aside, what do they do besides placing the item in a box with a repairs request to justify this sum ? 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)