in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-25-2007 6:33 AM by jackafrica. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2007 8:04 AM

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

5005 - noisy motor, ticking sound

I have a beogram 5005, new to me today which will be my turntable, just as soon as a couple of issues are sorted.

It has been in storage for nearly 6 years and is very noisy in operation, you can hear the motor making a ticking sound.

Is it possible to lubricate the motor in some way ? 

I would like to service, clean and lubricate the unit if I could receive some directions.

thanks in advance 

cheers richard
  • 12-22-2007 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: 5005 - noisy motor, ticking sound

Hi,

just replace the belt, that's probably the ticking sound. The belt is not round any more... it's like the shape of an egg after this time.

Martin

• 12-22-2007 1:42 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Does the motor make this noise without the belt attached? If so then the motor is on it's way out, there is no lubrication on these and it will need replacing. Not sure of availablity of replacement units - Martin (Dillen) may have an equivalent and if not then I may have a used one somewhere.

This is a common problem unfortunately.Sad

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-22-2007 3:44 PM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Strewth Blue !! It is louder without the belt, still with ticking.

Is there no way this can be lubricated ? That is a shame and you're correct. A little drop of clock oil on the shaft did nothing.

I'd be most grateful and pleased to purchase a new motor, or a good known second hand one. Is this a reasonably accessible part with regard to removal and replacement ?

I've sent a pm to Martin. 

Thanks, I'll wait to hear from you or Martin. Merry Xmas. 

PS   listening to the system  ( beomaster 5000, CD50 and the 5005 ) as a whole for the first time, very pleasing.  

cheers richard
  • 12-23-2007 2:34 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

'Fraid the motors goosed then.

I'll have a dig around after the festivities, in the meantime Martin can hopefully help. The other option is to look out for a non working beogram which uses the same motor.

These will be all of the tangential trackers from the same era (3000 to 9500 & all the numbers in between), also the silver 1980's BG1800,2000,5000,RX,RX2,TX,TX2 and also the becenter 2200.

Chris.

Almost forgot, pretty straight forward to replace, just 3 screws and perhaps a bit of soldering depending on the donor unit.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-23-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Thanks Chris,

Haven't heard back from Martin as yet, given the time of year etc.....

I also have a muting switch thing happening, so require one of them also. Meanwhile I shall content myself with playing CDs and wondering how I might bring the 5000 Beocord back from the dead.

Merry Xmas

cheers richard
  • 12-24-2007 3:20 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Can't help you with the muting problem other than to suggest simply bypassing it for now. The idea is it mutes any noise while the stylus is setting down, if you can live with the crackle as it sets down then it won't be a problem. Again this isn't uncommon in these.

Chris.

• 12-25-2007 2:23 AM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Merry Xmas Chris,

Where is the muting switch critter located in the chassis - what earthly form does it take ? I have no idea what I'm looking for really. Updated my membership status to Silver and downloaded the manuals, still no joy for a beginner such as myself. Where are the lavish illustrations, step by step instructions  Wink

There is a page which shows two different types of muting circuits, one with RIAA Amplifier........I wonder if my 5005 has one of those ? It does have a MMC4 cartridge, if that is applicable, serial number 3200017.

It's a steep learning curve for me.........I do enjoy the fiddling and farnarkling though. 

And Merry Xmas again..........tis a wonderful day. 

cheers richard
  • 12-25-2007 5:32 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The muting relay will be located just prior to the DIN output lead. It will be in a small clear plastic housing mounted on a PCB.

The beogram 5005 doesn't have the RIAA fitted, it is in the beomaster 5000.

Chris.

• 12-25-2007 6:33 AM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Thanks Chris,

I've located the switch, on mine it has a black plastic housing, metal cover and a square shaft with white plastic top. The white top is activated by another rod.

The resistance measured between sides  when the switch is fully open is 759ohms by the top pair and .2ohms on the bottom pair. When the switch is fully depressed there is .2ohms each side.

Then I suspect the 759 ohms resistance on one channel is not good ? Or is it the other way around ? I'm a newbie to this.

Can someone please advise the best way of bypassing the switch.

beo muting switch" title="beo muting switch" />

cheers richard
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)