in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-22-2007 8:33 AM by Turbo. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2007 6:32 AM

Beogram CD6500 not reading discs

Hi,

I just bought a Beosystem 6500 (sans the BG6500, but a VX-5000 thrown in, too) for the apparently perfect condition Beovox Pentas that were included in the deal Smile

However, the cassette player and CD were sold as not working, and that was also the case. I'd like to have at least the CD fixed or I might just sell the lot further. The problem is that it tries to read the disc (very faint ticking noises can be heard) for a while and gives up. The seller said that this happened after he relocated the stuff. I don't know if it was from one room to another, or if they sat unused for a longer time.

I haven't even opened the lid yet, but are there any potential problems I should look for?

-mika

• 12-20-2007 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD6500 not reading discs

Possibly just the laser lens requires cleaning. I use a cotton wool bud damped in iso propanol.

Regards Graham

• 12-20-2007 7:18 AM In reply to

Thanks for the tip. The player was somewhat dusty inside, but the lens appeared clean, and cleaning didn't help either.

However, some discs spin noticeably longer, but I've yet to find one that would actually display the number of tracks. What's the next step?

-mika

-mika

• 12-20-2007 7:21 AM In reply to

Dont use the CD6500 any more, disconnect power.

The laser controller board is defect. The blue Philips capacitors are gone and need replacement. It can be easily repaired by any experienced technician. 

DO NOT USE IT OR THE LASER HEAD WILL BE DESTROYED !!!

DO NOT TRY TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS WITHOUT KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO !!!

Martin

• 12-20-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

OK, warning duly noted. Time to find the service manual then. I've done this stuff before, but obviously not on this model (or any other B&O CD player). Do you happen to know any links to where this might have been discussed before? (I'll certainly spend some google time before doing anything, anyway, and I can probably manage in German too)

Thanks a bunch,

-mika

-mika

• 12-20-2007 8:18 AM In reply to

• 12-20-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

Thanks again! I can follow that well enough. Now I only need to find those caps somewhere, hope there isn't any more damage...

-mika

-mika

• 12-20-2007 11:00 AM In reply to

You can use a very cheap 47uf instead of the 2103, just for testing wether this is the real defect. The CD7000 will not work perfect, but it will work again and will not get destroyed. Some CD's will probably not work, sometimes it will work slow... ok, some small problems.Wink

The blue Philips capacitors are sold in germany by Segor and Reichelt, they are really not expensive ~ 12 Cent. You could also try another brand, i have tried several different types and they all have worked more or less with minor problems... 90% of the CD's worked, but 100% was only possible with the blue Philips.

Martin 

• 12-20-2007 2:31 PM In reply to

I couldn't find a suitable cap at this hour of the day, but I concocted a horrible system of four 10u/16V caps in parallel, AND THE PLAYER WORKS! Woohoo Cake I owe you a couple of beers Smile

I'll get a more suitable cap first thing tomorrow, but can I assume the player is now safe to use?

Looks like my new Beosystem 6500 is a keeper... 

-mika

• 12-20-2007 2:51 PM In reply to

If you just replaced the 2103 cap, yes, it's save to use.

What else is defect on the system? The Beocord?

• 12-20-2007 3:12 PM In reply to

Great.  Funnily enough, I've yet to find a CD that wouldn't play! Even my old copy of Tom Waits' Swordfishtrombones, which was a goner in most players, seems to run through without a glitch.

Die_Bogener:

What else is defect on the system? The Beocord?

Yes. It'll probably have to wait until after christmas. It makes a horrible noise when I plug it in and the sled won't move, I suppose it has been transported without the locks in place... hope I won't find loose bits inside. I'll start a new thread on that if I need help (probably...).

And of course the missing Beogram 6500 is a big defect! I'll have to see if I can correct that problem too, and get rid of all my old gear...

-mika

-mika

• 12-20-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

I think i know what's defect with the Beocord ;)

But this after christmas... ;)

• 12-22-2007 8:33 AM In reply to

• Turbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Sundsvall Sweden
    • Posts 67
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    Yes. It'll probably have to wait until after christmas. It makes a horrible noise when I plug it in and the sled won't move, I suppose it has been transported without the locks in place... hope I won't find loose bits inside. I'll start a new thread on that if I need help (probably...).

And of course the missing Beogram 6500 is a big defect! I'll have to see if I can correct that problem too, and get rid of all my old gear...

-mika

I had the same problem with my beocord7000, not sure if it is the same mechanics but probably similar. Since I have a lot of no money I just took it apart and greased up all moving parts and after that it works  perfect! Perhaps I was just lucky that this was the problem, I trust that Die Bogener has some more experience and expertise in this. The funny thing is that I do not own a  single tape, I just wanted it to be in a functionally condition, I borrowed a tape for the tinkering :-)

Jens Larsson Engine development engineer
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)