in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-06-2008 10:58 AM by joeyboygolf. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-19-2007 12:26 PM

A new B&O owner (beocenter 9500)

I'm in need of some advise.  I just got my beocenter 9500 off e-bay.  Its got some proublums I was not aware of when I bought it.

1. Nether one of the sliding doors work but I can hear the motor run.  The tape door tries to open but seems to be jamed on the bottem right corner.  The cd door I got to slide open but now wont close.

2. Wen I first cnected the speakers every thing was ok.  The next morning I had no right channel, I moved both speaker plugs in the back to speaker #2 and now it works fine agan.  I am running a sub on the same line as the speakers.  Is this a proublum?

3. The top & bottom glass pannels came loose in shipping.  Luckly nither of them broke.  But the plastic frame they sit in did.  I have them sitting on them in place and everything seems to be working.  Do you think I should fix this?

All this said it looks real good and sounds good.  I'm pretty mechincaly inclined.  Are theis repairs I could handle or best left to the pros?  If b&o handle these any idea what in might cost?  How do I get it to b&o, Ship from my house or do I hafto drop it off at the dealer?

All help and advise is welcome

thanks

Mike

• 12-19-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: A new B&O owner (beocenter 9500)

Hi Mike & welcome to BeoworldSmile

1. It sounds as though the cords which open & close the lids have come off the pulleys or the mechanism need freeing. Really quite difficult to work on if you don't know what you're doing. Graham our resident expert on these beocenters (member joeyboygolf) will confirm this and will probably give you better advice than me although it will probably require a service centre attention if you aren't well up on these. If you are confident however then I would strongly advise downloading the service manual which is available for download to silver & gold members, it's huge and in 4 parts I believe. Gold membership also automatically enters you for the monthly prize draw.

3. The glass panels are best reattached using 2 part epoxy resin. The original fitting method is double sided adhesive tape which will have deteriorated over time and to find some with the required thickness is pretty difficult as the glass has to sit within pretty tight tolerances above the touch sensors underneath.

Service prices vary from dealer to dealer as some do in house repairs whereas others farm out work to approved repair centres. Personally I wouldn't risk shipping it as the glass panels are no longer widely available for these and would be a real headache if they got broke in transit.

Beautiful machine BTW and a real classic "must have" piece of B&O.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-19-2007 1:48 PM In reply to

hi,

have been thru the cord re-stringing... uggh... but not terrible. patience is the most important tool.

i would suggest ensuring that the doors move freely prior to re-stringing. over time, the tracks tend to lose their lube and then become sluggish. human reaction is to "aid" them along causing the cords to eventually pop.

so... chk the tracks, clean, straighten, lube, and make sure all is healthy before jumping into the timely re-stringing.

btw, the manuals have a graphic of the correct cord routing if both of yours have popped.

one last note: the operation is relatively delicate and smooth. it should work w/o any interference -make sure the tabs that ride in the slots are straight and true. -when all is right -the movement will be like butter.

welcome to beoworld and have fun w/ an excellent piece!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 12-20-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advise guys.  I know you said prices verry but do you think we are talking $100's or $1000's in repair costs?

Thanks

Mike

• 12-20-2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I would say $100's rather than $1000's.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-20-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

agreed...

except your item #2 (mine was fine)...

i did have to deal w/ #1 and #3, and they cost me US$0.00 -just my time and patience.

i was able to source a nos lower glass panel (mine was cracked) for about US$100.00 shipped to my door.

again, well worth investing in this unit -hopefully #2 works out for you.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 12-22-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

Jeff

You said you have done the door thing.  Any pointers,tips or dont let this happen to you?  I have looked at the manual and it looks like something I might try.  What should I use to lube the tracks?

Thanks again

Mike

• 01-02-2008 10:53 AM In reply to

Mike, any update on your amplifier issue? One of the two channels on my 9500 seems to have failed this week after several years of excellent performance. I, too, am running the output to a subwoofer that then passes on to the satellites. I wondered if it was a wiring option or s sub problem so I ran every possible iteration with the same result -- full sound from only one channel. Oddly, though, there is enough leakage that the subwoofer picks up some signal no matter which of the four powered outputs is used.

As I'm 5 hours' drive from the nearest service center I'm looking at one channel for the foreseeable future. Or maybe just buying some penta's and bypassing the amplifier stage altogether...?

Thanks, Colin

• 01-02-2008 12:54 PM In reply to

i seem to have missed the beginning of this thread somehow. My apologies!

For info that I gave re lubrication see this http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/74869/ShowThread.aspx#74869

Re Amplifier not working on one channel......... My guess would be the mute relay, a very common fault. The way to check is to plug your spkrs into the Spkr2 sockets. These sockets bypass the mute relay.

If still not OK then you have an amp problem. Worth checking the 2 fuses on the amp board. Bit difficult to locate but they are towards the input/output sockets end of the board. Could be mistaken for capacitors but they are canned push in fuses!

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

Graham

I just got your anser on the channel one problum, Thanks.  Would the mute relay only go bad on the right speeker?  Because the left one will play and mute fine.  Both speekers play fine on channel two.

Do you know were I can get parts?  I cant find any one on line.  Parts like the drive belts for the doors, The  plastic channels that the glass pannels sit in, A clip for the prop rod and a batery wile I'm in there.  The batery still works but what the heck who knows how old it is.  Buy the way, Do you know wear it is?

Thanks again for all your help

Mike 

• 01-04-2008 12:18 PM In reply to

Colin

Does your 9500 play ok on channel two with the sub still hooked up?  Mine does,  But I want to make sure its not my sub that some how took out the right channel.  How long did you run the sub before you had a proublum?

Mike

• 01-04-2008 12:36 PM In reply to

The faulty mute relay commonly affects just one speaker - the 5500 does just the same!
  • 01-04-2008 1:50 PM In reply to

The mute relay commonly goes on one speaker as Peter says. Since the speakers play fine in the Skr2 sockets then I would stake my mortgage on the mute relay.

The mute relay, drive belts and strings for the doors, clip for the prop rod and battery are still available from your B&O dealer. The battery is situated near the remote sensor end of the microprocessor board.

The plastic channels are not available on their own as far as I know but new glasses come with the plastic in place.

You will have to find a helpful dealer who is willing to search the spares database as some of the part numbers are no longer available but have been replaced by others.

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

Graham

I lubed the railes to the cd door real good.  With the lid open the door slides open and closed but wen I close the top and try it the door barly moves.  I have the screws in the bottem set in the transport position.  Is there a trick I'm missing?  It acts like its hung up on the cd gizmo(the one that goes on top of the cd)

Thanks again

sorry to be such a pain

Mike

• 01-04-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

The door will not work well with the screws in the transport position. You are quite correct about it being hung up on the disc clamper mechanism. Take the screws out and it should work fine!

What did you use to lube the rails?

Regards Graham

• 01-04-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Silicone on a Qtip just like you said.  Theirs white lube on the cd mechinisim looks old and dry.  Should I clean it off?  If so what should I replace it with?

Mike

• 01-04-2008 5:29 PM In reply to

Graham

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I removed the trasport screws and still nuthing.  If I tip the front of the lid up the door opens and closes with the lid all the way down no go.  I'm soooooo close to being done.  What am I doing wrong!

Thanks again

Mike 

• 01-06-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

The cd tray must be empty and the cd door CLOSED before you close the "hood".

That's all I can think of!

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)