in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2008 9:45 PM by spthomas. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• Sigmund
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-20-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 46
    • Silver Member

Re: Apple Airport Express

mbee:

Hi, maybe you can resolve my issue with my brand new 802.11n Airport Express :

When I listen to my iTunes Library, there is no problem at all, the sound is correct.

When I listen to internet radios via the macbook speakers, there is no problem...

But When I listen to internet radios via the Airport Express, I got a lot of sound "cuts".

Me too. (Haven't tried radio with the new external DAC yet, though.) I would love to see a solution. My Airport Express i 802.11g, three years old. I have tried it with an iMac G5 running OS 10.4.11.

• 04-18-2008 6:20 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I'm not alone anymore... I hope we will get a solution soon!Indifferent
  • 04-18-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

When I connect the AE via optical Toslink to the DTS module of my BV3-32, it should improves the sound as well, isn't it?

Any experience with the DAC of the Beovisions?

BR

Volker 

• 04-18-2008 5:54 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Sigmund:
    mbee:

Hi, maybe you can resolve my issue with my brand new 802.11n Airport Express :

When I listen to my iTunes Library, there is no problem at all, the sound is correct.

When I listen to internet radios via the macbook speakers, there is no problem...

But When I listen to internet radios via the Airport Express, I got a lot of sound "cuts".

Me too. (Haven't tried radio with the new external DAC yet, though.) I would love to see a solution. My Airport Express i 802.11g, three years old. I have tried it with an iMac G5 running OS 10.4.11.

Are your Macs also wireless?  It could be just a bandwidth issue: streaming both the inet radio to the mac and the itunes to the AE.  Both of these streams consume the network bandwidth.  Yes, theoretically, there should be plenty, but reality is often different.

Stan

• 04-18-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I can use the wlan connexion to stream a HD movie from the internet to the TV without freeze while playing a song  from the library smoothly on the airport express... So I don't think that it's the wlan capacity that reaches its limit...

I have just seen that a lot of people are complaining of airport problems since Leopard or some updates, not solved yet, I hope that it's our problem, and will be solved soon! 

• 04-18-2008 9:45 PM In reply to

Alex:

Correct, but there's no point in this IMO as CDs are 16 bit.

Yes, there is a point. You can download 24-bit music from a variety of sources and play from iTunes which you cannot do with any CD player. A computer and good DAC I think means SACD will probably never take off (not that it was).

The mixonline article was interesting. My own feelings about this are-

- I've seen CDs from 1982 that were very well engineered and sound is as clean as anything, so care in the engineering of the whole sound chain is important.

- I still wonder about dynamic range. Specifically, if you have an organ playing a soft flute with the swell shades shut, it's very soft; I don't know how many DBs it is. In this situation it seems there's hiss competing with the soft sound, but maybe, as the article suggests, it wasn't as well-engineered as it could have been. But was that because of the settings needed to handle the sound when all the stops are on?

When I was a student in Pittsburgh I remember recitals played on the Beckerath organ at St Pauls, which could range from a whisper to a huge wash of brilliant sound that filled that large space. I can't say I've ever heard any recording on any system that comes close that experience and I'm not sure I can say what it is that's missing. I do wonder, as is mentioned in the article, about phasing, as the sense of space is probably what I miss most, other than the issue that most speakers don't go low enough in frequency.  

Steve
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2