in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-07-2010 9:21 AM by lausvi. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2007 2:34 PM

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Penta passive speaker grille fabric

New to the site - I have a pair of penta passives the grille fabric has seen better days anyone out there who can point me at new fabric or people who will recover the grille panels - I am in the west midlands, but reasonable distances would not be problematic

regards

tony s

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 12-16-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

Re: Penta passive speaker grille fabric

Penta frets are still available from your dealer. Cost is around £100 per speaker!

Regards Graham

• 12-19-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

thanks for info will investigate firther - happy festvities!

tony s

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 12-30-2007 4:34 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Re frets now contacted my local outlet in Worcester they are quoting £85 per fret - £170 per speaker - £340 for the pair  - that makes the frets probably worth more than the speakers - any cheaper suppliers? Or would i be better advised to live with 'em or acquire grill materials and get a local upholsterer to have a go?

tony s

• 12-30-2007 5:11 AM In reply to

Your dealer is either ripping you off or someone has misunderstood the pricing. Should be £70-£100 per speaker depending on the mark up that they apply.

The part number is for two frets to fit one speaker. ie a tall one for the bottom and a short one for the top all packed in foam and a box.

Regards Graham

• 12-30-2007 6:18 AM In reply to

I bought some speaker grille material from a local store (you may get some from Maplins) and covered mine myself.

Cut the old fabric from the plastic frames. Cover with the new fabric and glue in place. Once dry cut off the excess material.

Worth a try before buying new grilles as your only going to bin them anyway.

• 12-30-2007 12:41 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Wilmslow audio who are no longer in Wilmslow - now in Leicestershire - do a very good re covering service at reasonable prices. I have used them myself. Web site below

https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/

Cheers

NIgel 

• 12-30-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

You have to be very careful when selecting cloth for Penta frets as the original stuff is very lightweight. Anything of a heavier knit than the original fabric and your frets will not clip back on absolutely correctly and shake themselves off over a period of time due to the extremely tight tolerances of the clip positions.

I know this from experienceHuh? Mine are now blue (thanks to member Kevin) after reclothing in the black stuff from Maplins which did what I have described above. Also not a job for the feint hearted as the corners on the top frets are a complete and utter pain in the derrier to get right. I'm happy to do the work for you or offer assistance if you can source some reasonable material though.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-30-2007 5:08 PM In reply to

If you are able to look at B&O which is non standard then re-covering is fine. Personally I am afraid that if it aint right then I don't want it so would always buy the genuine article.

Regards Graham

• 12-30-2007 5:21 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:
    If you are able to look at B&O which is non standard then re-covering is fine. Personally I am afraid that if it aint right then I don't want it so would always buy the genuine article.

Looking from a purest point then I agree 100% Graham. I reclothed a pair of spare frets in blue and kept my originals for the day I decide I want to put them back "as was" - unfortunately being married means they are gonna stay blue for quite some time. Either that or buy SWMBO a matching charcoal grey handbagStick out tongue

Chris

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-31-2007 5:26 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

joeyboygolf:

Looking from a purest point then I agree 100% Graham. I reclothed a pair of spare frets in blue and kept my originals for the day I decide I want to put them back "as was" - unfortunately being married means they are gonna stay blue for quite some time. Either that or buy SWMBO a matching charcoal grey handbagStick out tongue

Chris

That sounds like the sort of excuse a soft southerner would use...........and I thought you were a Yorkshireman!!!!

Regards Graham

• 12-31-2007 6:28 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Hi Tony

If I were you I would snap Chris's hand off - his blue Pentas look absolutely stunning and if my SHMBO would allow me to have a pair this is how I would like them - one of the very few mods to B&O equipment I've seen that actually looks better than the original (can't find a picture of them - must have been on the old forum - maybe you could re-post Chris).

Cheers

Nigel 

• 12-31-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

That sounds like the sort of excuse a soft southerner would use...........and I thought you were a Yorkshireman!!!!

Ah but I'm also married to a Yorkshire lass Graham......... and I know my limitsStick out tongue

@ Nigel, thanks for your comments, you're right - the pictures were on the old forum which is now unaccessable. I'll take some more when I've given them their annual clean up! In the meantime I've taken a quick snap as a taster.

Unfortunately I don't have any cloth left after doing mine and it was a gift from member Kevin so I don't know where he sourced it.

Chris.

• 01-01-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

salut a tous

thanks guys, plenty of food for thought! - have now contacted another outlet, he was talking more sensibly quoting £72 per pair frets ie per tower and also about £20 per mid driver - foam gone on mine - could be caused by uv i suppose the two are in a position which receives afternoon/evenning sun - possibly a lesson to be absorbed there! The foam was ok mid summer when checked

Is it an easy task refoaming the cones i see a us outfit market kits - unfortunately forgot to note price per pair!

regards

tony s

• 01-01-2008 6:20 AM In reply to

Very reasonable prices. Personally I would replace everything with service spares and your speakers will be like new!

Regards Graham

• 03-22-2008 12:44 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Chris, I also would really like to see a couple more full-speaker pictures of the pentas with blue cloths.  I don't mind if they're not clean; I'm just trying to get a feel for the overall look.

Thanks!

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 11-07-2010 6:13 AM In reply to

re penta replacment frets.

we have accousticly transparent black speaker cloth and the self adhesive tape we use is very strong and  easy to use.(we even include all the tools needed.)

the instructions cover everything you need to know from removing the covers to sitting back and enjoying your "new" penta's in step by step photos.

nice to see someone still cares about classic B&O speakers.

• 11-07-2010 9:21 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Wow, just what I've been looking for, bought it right away! I will post photos here when I get the kit!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)