in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2007 12:32 PM by Alex. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2007 6:58 PM

Starting a new B&O collection - what should I get?

I'm a very lucky person. I'm moving to NY and I'm about to start my B&O collection completely from scratch. I use Mac for home IT and have all of my music on iTunes. My entertainment needs are primarily for two rooms: office and living room. 

Here's what I'm planning to acquire:

LIVING ROOM

BV7-40 or BV9
    BL9 (front)
    BL3 (rear)
    Apple TV

OFFICE

BL4
    iMac

Any thoughts? Am I missing something really obvious?

Does anyone have experience of both the BV7-40 and BV9? I'm leaving towards the BV9 but am keen to hear from more informed members of this forum.

I'd also like to find a way to stream radio/music into the bathroom but haven't been able to find a reasonable solution.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. 

Many thanks, 
    Erik

Filed under: , , , , , ,
  • 12-15-2007 7:23 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Re: Starting a new B&O collection - what should I get?

I use a BV7-40 but am thinking of upgrading with a BV9, I just love the BV9, perfect screen size for me. I think a black BV9 is a better choice than silver, polished silver frame around the screen is distracting from the image. Only thing is that BV7 has the DVD built in, no cables, boxes and so forth. BC 2 is a good option (CD, DVD, Radio) and for the bathroom i'd go the new passive beovox in wall speakers with a link passive kit. I'm sure that both BV7 and BV9 can now control Apple t.v (maybe) and I hear from my dealer that a software has just been written for controlling Playstation 3, if you want a blu ray source.
  • 12-15-2007 7:34 PM In reply to

Thanks - I agree with the black vs silver comment
    I'm not too bothered about the absence of a dvd. I don't have an extensive DVD collection and what I have can be put on the Mac with easy access via Apple TV. Furthermore, looking 12 months out, I think downloads will increasingly be the way to purchase video. 
  • 12-16-2007 3:37 AM In reply to

Terrapolitan:
    Thanks - I agree with the black vs silver comment
    I'm not too bothered about the absence of a dvd. I don't have an extensive DVD collection and what I have can be put on the Mac with easy access via Apple TV. Furthermore, looking 12 months out, I think downloads will increasingly be the way to purchase video. 

I had BV5 and then swap to BV7-40 before I swap to BV9 and......there is no choice. If $ is no problem the only way to go is BV9 Wink

Some fellow member here thinks BV7-40 MKIII is better picture then BV9, but BV7 has long way to go to match BV9Whistle

For the speaker your choice is perfect!. And you can pilot all current Blueray DVDs with BV9/7 and Playstation 3 (Not power on/off, and no linkroom)

Playing Blueray DVDs on BV9 is just one word....STUNNINGSurprise

And Apple-Tv can you pilot to with Beo4/5, but not use scrollingNo - thumbs down

I have BL 3500 in my bathroom, but you need a Beo4. Another choice is BL 2000

Good luck

• 12-16-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

When listening to music DVD's you need (nearly) similar rearspeakers for the full experience. In my opinion the gap between BL9 and BL3 seems rather big. Perhaps the BL8000 is an option?
  • 12-16-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

BartS:
    When listening to music DVD's you need (nearly) similar rearspeakers for the full experience. In my opinion the gap between BL9 and BL3 seems rather big. Perhaps the BL8000 is an option?

BL9 and BL 3 is a good combination when it comes to Homecinema setup even for Music DVDs. For audio CD you most of the time use speaker 2, so there is no problem either

• 12-16-2007 4:09 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

i agree with what has been said so far bv9 is better  picture than BV7-40 MKIII  i have seen both   in action recently in my local dealer
  • 12-16-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

Erik,

In the livingroom I would prefer the BV9. Better picture quality than BV 7 if you ask me. The speaker setup is very good in my opinion for both music and home cinema. In the office I would rather have a pair of BL 3's. I like the design of the BL 4's but I am not impressed with the performance.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-16-2007 4:14 AM In reply to

and maybe you need BL2 for movies, but I am not sure how deep BL9s bass is
  • 12-16-2007 4:19 AM In reply to

....mr anders(son):
    and maybe you need BL2 for movies, but I am not sure how deep BL9s bass is

From what I've heard so far I would say you don't need a BL2. But on the subject of the BL2 I think you'll probably get different views. Best to listen for yourself.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-16-2007 4:24 AM In reply to

I have seen (not listen) where there is BL5 with 2!! BL2Surprise
  • 12-16-2007 4:29 AM In reply to

....mr anders(son):

Wow... That setup will keep the neighbours awake at night...

• 12-16-2007 4:39 AM In reply to

beocool:

....mr anders(son):

Wow... That setup will keep the neighbours awake at night...

YEAH but it must be overkill or? 

• 12-16-2007 6:09 AM In reply to

I personally think a BL2 would ruin the perfectly balanced sound produced by the BL5s.
  • 12-16-2007 11:54 AM In reply to

Henry:
    I personally think a BL2 would ruin the perfectly balanced sound produced by the BL5s.

Perhaps we're getting a bit of topic, but I think you're right, Henry. By the way the BL5's lower bass is powered by a 1000 Watt Ice amplifier and the BL 2 'only'  has an 850 Watt Ice amplifier. Seems pointless to me...

• 12-16-2007 12:53 PM In reply to

With BL9s, would the BL2 make a huge difference? I'm not keen on the BL2's looks and would prefer to not have one of those in my house.
  • 12-16-2007 1:09 PM In reply to

Terrapolitan:
    With BL9s, would the BL2 make a huge difference? I'm not keen on the BL2's looks and would prefer to not have one of those in my house.

I know what you mean. I am not really a fan of the looks of the BL 2 either. The BL 2 makes a clear difference if you have BL 8000's, but it's a bit slow and more suited for use in a surround sound setup than for listening to music. For just a little more cash than this combination you'll have a pair of BL 9's without the BL 2. I personally would prefer that. BL 9's without the BL 2 sound wonderful, in my opinion.

• 12-22-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

Sounds very good! I have a similar setup (7-40 w/BL7-4 , Penta Mk III, BL3 and BL2) and like it a lot. BTW, how did you manage to connect Apple TV? Can't seem to get it working. I have it connected to the DVI-I port but don't know how to go on from here ... ANy thoughts?

David 

• 12-23-2007 12:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

RE the BeoLab 9s and a BeoLab 2, I'd stay without the 2. The 9s have wonderfully controlled and 'smooth' bass (although it's punchy when it needs to be). The BeoLab 2 is comparatively slower and 'boomier'. Amazing for movies, but for music it just seems to get in the way a bit. BeoLab 9s go plenty deep enough for music and are plenty powerful enough for movies.

I'd also maybe agree with others about the BeoLab 4s. I use a pair (thanks to BeoWorld Big Smile) as computer speakers with my MBP, and they're great. However you may find you need a subwoofer in the setup, and even then you may find the top end leaves something to be desired if you plan on doing any proper listening whilst on your computer. I like mine a lot, but have my BeoSystem + B&Ws in the same room, now with an Apple TV so tend to use this for 'multimedia' stuff.

Basically, if you can upgrade to BeoLab 3s, then do so. They're amazingly good for speakers of their size.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)