in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-11-2007 3:40 PM by Dillen. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-11-2007 2:02 PM

• RonI
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-05-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

More On My Beogram 1800 Problems

Thanks to those who replied to my oringinal post.  I have learned some more.  The first thing I did was remove the cartridge (MMC3) and closely inspect and clean the stylus tip.  At first I thought everything looked pretty good.  However I happened to be watching the arm/cartridge come down on the record and noticed that the stylus seemed to be at a fairly sharp downward angle and that the cartridge seemed pretty far from the record.  I gave the cartridge just a slight downward bump with the tip of my finger and the cartridge suddenly dropped downward quite a bit (maybe as much as 1/16 inch) and the stylus seemed at a more correct angle - and what I heard coming out of the speakers sounded much, much better.  What I have described, repeats itself every time I try it.
    - Is it normal for the cantilever to shift upward as it sits down on the record? 
    - Could my problem be in the tone arm (maybe hanging up)?  How would I fix that? 
    - As I said, the playback sounded pretty good with the cartridge in the "down" position.  Would you think it is performing optimally in this situation?
    I want to digitize some fairly rare records I have and can not afford one of the new cartridges right now so any help would be very much appreciated.  Thanks very much.
    Ron
  • 12-11-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: More On My Beogram 1800 Problems

Have you set the tracking weight correctly? It does sound as if this cartridge is on its last legs - the suspension may be hardening, Try shining a bulb onto the cartridge so it gets good and warm. That might help! I would get digitising !!
  • 12-11-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: More On My Beogram 1800 Problems

What you describe is a typical symptom of a dying cantilever suspension.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)