in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-11-2007 1:47 AM by Peter. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2007 5:47 PM

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

MMC 20 CL-C

I recently came into a NOS MMC20 CL-C. The final "-C" apparently specifies that this cartridge has a rare stylus called the "Win super-ellipsoid" stylus.

I'm eager to find a time when I can properly set it up and give it a listen along side my MMC20 CL and other "20" series cartridges.

Anyone know anything about this cartridge and stylus?

(I'm going to post this over in the US forum, also, in case it's a US phenomenon exclusively.) 

Thanks in advance for any insight you all can give. 

SDB

• 12-10-2007 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: MMC 20 CL-C

Afraid not! The -C stands for the fact it comes with a Connector for universal tonearms. There is also a -B which comes with a 1/2" mount. I have put pictures on Beocentral of these in the boxes - here! I have given the -B away though I still have the -C ! Otherwise standard 20CL.
  • 12-10-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Hah!

Thanks!

BUT ... have you heard of the Win superelliptical stylus? It was supposedly tried by B&O for the 20 CL back in 1980 and only a few were made.

(And - WOW! you're fast!)

P.S. - This one did, indeed, come with the universal connector .. warranty card, etc.) 

SDB

Filed under:
  • 12-11-2007 1:47 AM In reply to

The CL has a Contact Line profile for the diamond. It was a slightly simplified version of the Pramanik profile seen on the MMC6000 which itself was a modified Shibata profile. These profiles resemble an elliptical profile but with a reduced horizontal contact area and increased vertical contact area. I have never heard of any special CLs though that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. As far as I am aware, the most complex profile seen on a B&O cartridge was that seen on the MMC6000. The CL had the advantage of the sapphire cantilever.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)