in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-13-2007 5:19 PM by Tom. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2007 3:03 PM

A kind of a early Christmas present - I picked up two Beolab 5 today

Hi guys

This is a big moment for me Party!!! I just can't find the words to describe how they play - WAUW I'm just impressed how loud they can play and still absolutely REALLY point-blank clean tunes Yes -  thumbs up thumbs UP B&O R&D people - big applause

Now I'm of to find some more CD's

Sadly they are only home-demos, but I convinced that I need a new set soooooon

A happy "Priest" Stick out tongue

Regards Anders

• 12-07-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

Re: A kind of a early Christmas present - I picked up two Beolab 5 today

I'm sure if you have gone as far as having a home demo, then you'll never be able to say no to buying your own pair. Even if it means cycling to work for a year!

I bet they sound great in your beautiful and big room!

• 12-07-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

They certainly are incredible speakers. I'm hopefully going to be testing some out with mains conditioners at some point (apparently BeoLab 9s benefit hugely from this).

IMO, the BeoLab 5 is the only truly 'limitless' speaker on the market. There may be one or two which have benefits over the BL5 in certain areas, but the differences I've heard between the BL5s and some of the best systems out there (costing far, far, far, far FAR more than any B&O setup would ever cost) are always startlingly small. If anything, the BeoLab 5s were better overall because of the way they just seem to be 'limitless' in dynamics, even at the most stupendously high volumes, and never ever sound like they're struggling. Bass to boot too...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-07-2007 4:10 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

They certainly are incredible speakers. I'm hopefully going to be testing some out with mains conditioners at some point (apparently BeoLab 9s benefit hugely from this).

IMO, the BeoLab 5 is the only truly 'limitless' speaker on the market. There may be one or two which have benefits over the BL5 in certain areas, but the differences I've heard between the BL5s and some of the best systems out there (costing far, far, far, far FAR more than any B&O setup would ever cost) are always startlingly small. If anything, the BeoLab 5s were better overall because of the way they just seem to be 'limitless' in dynamics, even at the most stupendously high volumes, and never ever sound like they're struggling. Bass to boot too...

Now then............ I've always thought you were beyond your years in your opinion (even though every now and then I like to poke you with a proverbial stick)Big Smile. I feel I must interject here however rearding the mains conditioner theory! - this is up there with speaker and mains cables. The first thing any active speaker does (with the mains input) is to convert it to d.c. to power the amplifiers (either digital or analogue). Having another unit before it to convert a.c. to d.c. and back to a.c. is irelevent. Believe me, I'm a Doctor!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-07-2007 4:13 PM In reply to

Alex:

I'm hopefully going to be testing some out with mains conditioners at some point (apparently BeoLab 9s benefit hugely from this).

You'll have done a double blind trial then! Laughing 

• 12-07-2007 5:24 PM In reply to

I've seen the room you have created for them in photos previously. You'll never be able to let them go - the room must be ideal for these speakers!

• 12-07-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Alex:

I'm hopefully going to be testing some out with mains conditioners at some point (apparently BeoLab 9s benefit hugely from this).

Well I was surprised to hear it said, but that came from a very trustable source. I haven't heard for myself though, but I have absolutely no reason to doubt him. Makes perfect sense to me, as I'm all for the idea of 'smoothing out' the signal from the mains. Mains cables etc... are a waste of time IMO, but seeing as the electrical outputs in my house seem to vary all the time (even when you switch on a light), I see how a mains conditioner could help improve the sound.

I'll try doing some double-blind tests at some point if I can though...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-07-2007 5:48 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:
    Peter:
    Alex:

Well I was surprised to hear it said, but that came from a very trustable source. I haven't heard for myself though, but I have absolutely no reason to doubt him. Makes perfect sense to me, as I'm all for the idea of 'smoothing out' the signal from the mains. Mains cables etc... are a waste of time IMO, but seeing as the electrical outputs in my house seem to vary all the time (even when you switch on a light), I see how a mains conditioner could help improve the sound.

I'll try doing some double-blind tests at some point if I can though...

Please do - but remember, with the right capacitive filtering in the amplifier power supply, dc is just dc, regardless of the "quality" of the ac through the rectifier bridge! (Would B&O underdo the smoothing and filtering in the dc link of their premium speakers - I think not)Wink

• 12-07-2007 5:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Well that's what I thought. I know the B&O speakers have large capacitors in them, but I'll approach it with an open mind...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-07-2007 5:52 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

Well that's what I thought. I know the B&O speakers have large capacitors in them, but I'll approach it with an open mind...

Good lad!

• 12-07-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

Needs to be double blind! A/B/X is best!
  • 12-13-2007 8:15 AM In reply to

Dear Santa Big Smile

I have been a really good boy this year..!  Embarrassed

Please be gentle with these beautiful speakers when you drop by Christmas night Stick out tongue I hope that they can get through the chimney without any problems Wink

Anders - "now without BL5 but still with a big smile on my face"

Regards Anders

• 12-13-2007 11:55 AM In reply to

I'm excited for you Anders! Laughing
  • 12-13-2007 12:28 PM In reply to

Thanks mate

But I got to wait a while for this pleasure, but I can still wish, right? Yes -  thumbs up

I know it might be possible in the new year to get hold of a set, but I can't decide if I should stick and go for the BL5 or I should step down and then buy some other speaker in a lower range, and then buy some more B&o stuff & Danish designer furniture for the home. [:'(] I know I can't get It all at one time - damn it Devil

So now I can only enjoy the pictures and video, so I can remember how it was that weekend Big Smile though you can not get the same feeling like when you experience the BL5 in real life.

Anders

Regards Anders

• 12-13-2007 3:11 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Merry X-mas, Priest.

(Frankly, get the speakers and forget the rest of the stuff - they will also fit perfectly design-wise as your pictures shows! )

• 12-13-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

Hi Yeah I know they would fit perfect, but for the same price I could buy 4 used BL8000 a Beosound9000 and maybe a BV5 and the BL8000 they would also be perfect for the room. (beolab1 would maybe be good also, because of the height they have)

But then they don't have the sound as BL5, yeah I know that

Anders

Regards Anders

• 12-13-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Beolab 1's would look very good with the height of your room as you say. Although after hearing a set of Beolab 5's for the first time a few weeks ago I know what I would choose. They were truely amazing and with Classical music I was totaly blown away. If only I could afford a pair. Oh well, might win the Lottery.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-13-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

If you use you setup for music, then go for the BL5, you will never regret it. If not, then you don't need them.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)