in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-31-2008 6:42 PM by stuartross. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2007 6:29 AM

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

DVD1 - freezes after 30+ minutes

I bought a DVD1 from eBay recently and have connected it to my MX7000. All is well for the first 30 minutes or so of watching a DVD then the picture freezes and the sad clicking sound begins as the DVD mechanism tries its best to read the disc. Once this behaviour starts, the disc must be ejected, the DVD1 switched off and restarted. Menus do not work correctly, no searching is possible and the whole thing ends in tears.

This has happened with 3/3 DVDs that I have tried. All are in excellent condition and I do not believe that it is the disc surface that is faulty in any way.

Is this a known behaviour of DVD1s and is there anything I can do about it? I think a trip to a B&O dealer will be in order, but I can only begin to imagine the cost of a new DVD mechanism.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.

• 12-06-2007 7:09 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: DVD1 - freezes after 30+ minutes

Oh dear Surprise Sorry to hear this, that's a shame.

Is this the older model DVD1? (eg. 2001 model)

If it is the later model from 2004 onwards it should not be as expensive to fix as the older versions, but then, it depends on what the issue is... 

See this thread also. 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-06-2007 7:13 AM In reply to

• c64
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-11-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Hi Marcus

A few months ago, I had exactly the same problem with my DVD1 (Mk I). After a few times of repeating the switch off - switch on - search the last position and try to continue watching the film (until it happened again), the DVD1 finally ended up in displaying the Philips menu ?!?. I was never able to get back to the B&O menu system.

Therefore I brought the DVD1 to my dealer. Some days later I got a phone call where the dealer told me that the DVD mechanism needs to be replaced for about 500 CHF. I finally bought a new Panasonic DVD Player for about half the price and left the DVD1 at the dealer.

I'm sorry I can't give you any better information.

Chris

• 12-06-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

I am afraid that this is a common problem and usually requires a new DVD mech at around £200-250 in the UK.

You could try cleaning the laser lens which may get you out of trouble in the short term. This has worked for me with about 30% chance of success!

Regards Graham

• 12-06-2007 8:01 AM In reply to

Hi:

MAybe this would be far too easy to be possible but if it is the DVD mech and the DVD mech is the same as a Philips one, could you not buy a complete Philips system for hardly anything off Ebay or some place else, take it apart, take the mech out and put it in your b&o. Alternatively get a DVD repair man to do this - obviously B&O won't want to do this...

• 12-06-2007 2:36 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your collective advice. Plan A will be to clean the lens; Plan B will be a glum trip to the B&O dealer hoping for a reasonable repair price.

Of course, the pragmatic solution would be to purchase a new DVD player from a different manufacturer at a fraction of the repair cost. What I'm really paying for is the luxury of having one less remote control on my coffee table. The design adage "Less is more" certainly applies in this case: Less certainly costs more! Sad

Thanks to all. 

• 12-06-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Marcus,

how about getting B&O DVD Controller and buying a non B&O DVD Player (Denon e.g.)? This might cost a lot less and give you the B&O remote controllabe solution.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 12-06-2007 3:20 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion of a DVD controller. I don't know whether the MX7000 will accept that option but I will investigate with my dealer.

Marcus 

• 12-07-2007 2:18 PM In reply to

Yes you can use the DVD controller with MX7000
  • 12-07-2007 6:22 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Bang always denied that this was an issue, but in reality i saw a lot of this issue.

Problem is that the Philips mech gets too hot - this si generally related to one of the IC's getting too hot.  Some clever repair agents managed to intriduce large heat sinks to manage the issue.  I am sure someone on the forum knows a clever reapir agent close to you and might be willing to assist.

Nothing to do with your disks - def a issue with the DVD1.  The later units had some differing components to deal with this issue - but some still managed to get a bit hot.  The reason repair agents want to replace the mech is that Bang wants an upgraded board to be replaced so the issue stops.

• 12-08-2007 11:53 AM In reply to

I dont believe that this is an issue "only" with the device getting too hot ... or they would all do it straight from the box ... its a combination of factors and my general feeling is one of board level reliability (BLR).  If the airflow around the device was better from day one, or heatsinking from day one or a better method of attachment (i.e. no soldering failures which is what I believe causes this) ... then the problem would not exist.  That being said ... once the board has degraded, I am not sure what kind of future it has regardless of whether you fan cool or heatsink the device as the permanent damage has been done.

Ebay ... caveat emptor. 

• 12-09-2007 6:02 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Of course if the board was designed correctly in the first instance it would be fine. Unfortuantly, when buying an OMF product then placing differing SW etc can affect it differently.  All DVD 1 mechs where not of B&O origin.  The first was Philips, the changes in Board supplier for the second version (updated) was from another manufacturer so Bang was aware of the issues and this was to correct these.

I beleive the IC's in the first edition where a little small and were affected by heat.  These to an extent can be helped with heatsinks, but usually the damage has already been done.  It is however worth a go, as i know of some that have been repaired by doing this.

• 08-05-2008 2:25 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Dude1:

Bang always denied that this was an issue, but in reality i saw a lot of this issue.

Problem is that the Philips mech gets too hot - this si generally related to one of the IC's getting too hot.  Some clever repair agents managed to intriduce large heat sinks to manage the issue.  I am sure someone on the forum knows a clever reapir agent close to you and might be willing to assist.

Nothing to do with your disks - def a issue with the DVD1.  The later units had some differing components to deal with this issue - but some still managed to get a bit hot.  The reason repair agents want to replace the mech is that Bang wants an upgraded board to be replaced so the issue stops.

I'm facing the same problem but in order to solve it I would like to know which IC or IC's are affected by the heat. I made a picture of both PCB sides to make things clear but I don't see how to attach these pictures (I don't have an URL).

When removing the top cover from the DVD1 and placing it outside my cabinet it kept working approx. double the time then when it was still on, so a heat issue is very likely the cause.

Thanks! 

• 08-06-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Anyone?
  • 08-06-2008 12:23 PM In reply to

Why not try heating the different parts of the board with a heat gun or hair drier to see if it fails quicker.
  • 08-06-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Good idea but a little difficult since the IC's are close to each other and on both sides. The reacheability isn't that great.
  • 08-06-2008 4:45 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

I admire your determination here!  The mech does get too hot - i know this for a fact as i have had first hand information on this.  When getting hot, doesnt necessarily mean that the IC is getting really hot - small changes in internal temperatures to some IC's make a huge difference. The new board was better designed...for cooler running and better information delivery.

Give up on a home repair, unfortuantly these don't work.Sad

• 08-07-2008 6:51 AM In reply to

ok, on a different tack then ... wait until it fails and then use a freezer spray which will have a very fine jet to cool down and work the problem from the other end.

my feeling is that this is probably not a chip fail ... but a systematic PCB soldering fail on one of the large BGA packages ... it would be nice to think that the PCB could be reflowed through an oven (not the one in your kitchen) and then problem solved.

• 08-07-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I'm not giving up at this moment, the small IC in front of the laser seems too hot and this is the preprocessor and laser supply unit. It looks like this could be the one, because when the DVD is freezing up, the laser unit skips one chapter after each other like it lost its way.

It is easier throwing the DVD1 in the garbage but for me it's still a challenge making things better like the good old Philips saying.

The big STi5505 IC (DVD decoder) on the back also gets a little hot so I'll also try to cool it off.

• 08-07-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

Some of this is way over my head..

But if heat is causing the problem, can you not add a fan to the PCB? I have a DVD1 and dread this happening.. but would be nice to know if there is a fix instead of an overhaul because of a design flaw?

Ducks for cover....

• 08-08-2008 5:08 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

It does become all a bit technical.

Essentially the DVD1 has some inherrient design flaws with its mech.  This was why it was eventually upgraded to a more reliable mechanism.

The DVD1 mark 1 mech can internally overheat. Causing component fatigue after a period of time.  This is not uncommon for any manufacturer of PCBs -  especially when used in intstances or machines they werent designed for.

In theory, it could be fixed.  But you would have replaced most components on the PCB by this point.

Hope this helps.

• 08-08-2008 5:36 AM In reply to

Component fatigue?  What is that ... does it get too tired? ;)

Generally components either fails, degrade, or operate normally ... what are you suggesting is the fault in this instance?

The manufacturer of the PCB, the manufacturer of the devices (multiple) and the assembly company are all independant and operating in their own environments with their own design rules ...  

• 08-08-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Nobby, then it would be component degradation. It does happen, ask Rolls Royce. Smile

• 08-31-2008 3:59 AM In reply to

@Beogen: Hi, I'm facing the same problem and did some experiments by installing an internal fan, but until now without any big results....  Anybody more success?

Regards

Joost, Gent (B) 

• 08-31-2008 11:31 AM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

I had the same problem – had the mech replaced for about £150.00 and it still went pear-shaped. Very frustrating! In my experience DVD 1's have always been unreliable. I had a £120 Sony player that was bullet proof – even down to playing my kids scratched discs satisfactorily. B&O should hang their heads in shame considering the original price of around £800.BTW your dealer should be able to lend you the software updater if you want to restore the B&O interface from the Phillips one.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >