in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-06-2007 5:13 AM by wirralsimon. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2007 6:51 PM

• RonI
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-05-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

SUGGESTIONS FOR ANALYZING A BEOGRAM 1800 TURNTABLE

I recently pulled out my old record collection that I haven't touched in few years.  I played a few albums on my Beogram 1800 with MMC3 cartridge and everything I played was distorted - more on low frequencies than high I think.  The turntable has very low mileage and has been well cared for.  I only have one turntable, one cartridge and one receiver/amp so I can't analyze by swaping.  The receiver seems to work fine on its' FM radio function.  Can a stylus / cartridge go bad just sitting around without use?  I looked at the stylus under a 10X magnifier and I don't know what it should look like but there was no serious buildup of any kind.  I set the counterweight to 1.5 using the instructions in the owner's manual.  If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.
  • 12-05-2007 7:56 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR ANALYZING A BEOGRAM 1800 TURNTABLE

Yes, the cartridge is old and they do have a shelf life.  The rubber suspensions dry out with age resulting in distorted sound.  You won't see anything under a magnifier, as the needle is fine.  Sometimes the cantilevers look droopy - other times not.  Time for a new cartridge I'm afraid - either a used MMC-series off of eBay (make sure the seller has tested it recently) or a new replacement cartridge from Soundsmith.

• 12-06-2007 5:13 AM In reply to

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR ANALYZING A BEOGRAM 1800 TURNTABLE

Try clicking on the folowing link and scrolling down for troubleshooting info.

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)