in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-06-2007 11:02 AM by gorissek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2007 5:30 PM

Connecting a BeoVision + BeoSound + BeoLabs

Can someone please explain to me how ( in what order - what connects to what ) you usually connect, for example, a BeoVision 7-40, a pair of BeoLab 5s and a BeoSound 9000. 

Unfortunately, I don't own any of these, it's just something I was thinking about the other day and will try to explain, when I understand how they connect. Thanks!

• 12-04-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Connecting a BeoVision + BeoSound + BeoLabs

Based on your example, and assuming that all items are in the same room, the 'correct' method is:

BeoLab 5's via PowerLink to the BV-7.

BeoSound 9000 via Masterlink to the BV-7.

BV-7 in 'option 2'.

In addition, with this set of equipment, you can also run S/PDIF co-axial cable from the BS-9000 directly to one of the BeoLab 5's and then daisy-chained to the other.  This will let the 5's 'see' the raw digital stream from the CD drive and gives you the cleanest signal. 

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-05-2007 6:41 AM In reply to

Hi Russ,

this is exactly what i was thinking about - that the signal from BS9000 isn't as clean when it has to go through BV7 to BL5s. In the case you described ( S/PDIF option ), i presume the BL5s are still somehow connected to the BV7 - how?

And if I wanted a pair of BL3s in the back, for a surround sound setup, which would use only be used for movies, I guess the BL3 would go into the BV7 via PowerLink and the BL5s would stay connected to the BS9000 via S/PDIF cable?

Sorry for the newbish questions, but I haven't really found any material on this topic, so if anyone knows where I could, please let me know.

• 12-05-2007 7:47 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Read carefully Grasshopper.... Big Smile

I said 'In addition....'  not 'Or instead....'

In a room with a BV-7 MK-3/US EVERYTHING in the room connects to the BV-7.  All of the BeoLabs via PowerLink, the BeoSound 9000 via MasterLink.  What most don't know is that the fully wired PL cables which ship in the BeoLab 5 box allow the BV-7 to 'tell' the BL-5's which source is selected.  If the S=P/DIF cables are connected, and the BV-7 indicates 'CD' then the BL-5's look for the digital signal, but continue to monitor the PL input for volume information.  In all other cases they use the PL inputs as normal.

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the audio quality of the ML connection, as it bypasses the BeoSound 9000's pre-amp section entirely and is shielded and balanced output.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 12-06-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I was worrying about it for no good reason : )
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)