in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-12-2008 10:39 AM by PeterG. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2007 7:18 AM

apple TV?

I know there are a few members here who have apple TV. I was wondering what it does and what it is used for? I've not looked too deeply into the apple site but was hoping that you could cut throught the marketing hype and tell me a bit about this gadgette.

I look forward to your responses.

jazz

• 12-04-2007 8:00 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: apple TV?

There was a lot of hype that apple tv would revolutionise the tv industry and make apple a mainstream competitor home entertainment. What came was not the impressive revolutionary device that was expected. Rather all that came out was an inferior media extender that allowed you to watch itunes videos on your tv.

If all Apple set out to do was let you watch itunes video on your TV then it has succeeded in doing that, but that's neither revolutionary nor impressive, but it will keep the hardcore Apple fans happy. It appears that apple will sync your itunes playlists with the apple tv hard drive much like it does with your iPod. I guess the reason for streaming from the apple tv rather than directly from a home computer is because it means you can still watch the videos if your computer is off.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-04-2007 9:13 AM In reply to

I have an Apple TV connected to my Avant in one room and a mac mini connected to a projector via Beosystem 1 in another room. With the new Beosystem 1/Avant software update, both can be controlled with the Beo4. I actually, think that it's better to spend just a little more for a mac mini rather than the Apple TV. The mac mini is more versatile and can play more types of video, such as divx. I think that the Apple TV has missed the mark by not offering downloadable movies that can be rented. Rather, the iTunes store only has movies for purchase. There have been rumors that Apple might someday offer movies that you can rent and download; however, I fear for Apple that it might be too late to save the Apple TV.

You might want to take a look at the Xbox 360 as a media server. The Xbox 360 has a surprisingly impressive catalog of tv shows that you can download and own and both standard definition and high definition movies that you can download and rent for a reasonable price. Also, with today's Xbox system update, you can now play divx movies on the xbox. 

• 12-04-2007 12:52 PM In reply to

beojeff:

With the new Beosystem 1/Avant software update, both can be controlled with the Beo4.

beojeff,

Can you tell me more about the Avant software update? Does AppleTV now appear as one of the "brands" on the list? What source are you using in the Avant? I assume STB. Also, does the software give you "fast scroll" on the ATV. Finally, where are you located, and how much did the upgrade cost? Oh, and how long did it take?

Alex

• 12-04-2007 12:52 PM In reply to

Hi Beojeff,

You can control your AppleTV with your Beo4. My dealer installed my BeoVision 7-40 MKIII, flashed the AppleRemote software but nothing happend. If you press menu on your Beo4 while seleced AppleTV, do you see a menu appearing on the screen? Any help would be welcome

I use my AppleTV for viewing HD photographs (1080i works perfect) and for music. I use my TVset also as audioplayer so this is perfect. There are better ways of steaming films,

• 12-04-2007 3:06 PM In reply to

Good question about the Beo4 control. I was confused at first, too. Actually, you don't use the "menu" command on the Beo4. I'm at my office and don't have a Beo4 in front of me, but as I recall you use the "exit" command on the Beo4 for the menu function of the Apple Remote. You use the "go" button on the Beo4 as the "enter" command on the Apple Remote. The directional arrows are used. Otherwise, there are no other functions that are used.

When you hit "menu" on the beo4, there are red, blue, green, and yellow squares on the TV; however, they don't seem to have any function. Perhaps this if for future use.

Hope this helps.

• 12-04-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

I'm waiting for Alex's input Cool
  • 12-04-2007 4:58 PM In reply to

Well that all sounds underwhelming... I think i'll give it a miss.

thanks for the info

jazz

• 12-04-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

I'm actually very impressed with ATV. It really is an Ipod for your home entertainment system. In fact ATV makes more sense with B&O than with most other gear. Let me stipulate several things: I'm not an Apple fanatic. In fact I haven't owned a Mac since 1988! There are many home media servers available that are also very good. In fact BeoMedia is one, but at several times the cost. Finally, there are many limitations and possibilities so the ATV has a long way to go.

Having said this, the problem with ATV is that it's a part of a CE segment that is in its infancy. ATV however, is what the future of TV will be. Some day you will be able to watch streams or downloads of video from many different sources in the same way that today you can listen to a stream of music or just one song from an album. We can debate the merits of "narrow casting," but it will come.

It's hard to find fault with ATV's implementation of a video/music server compared to others. At $299 it is not only on the lower end of the price scale, but technically it is designed for the non-technical elite. This is critical. It is however, a closed system (typical of Apple), though this hasn't seemed to have hurt the Ipod.

Jobs did describe ATV as a hobby for Apple. This is probably due to the fact that their other products ship in the MEGA millions. Nevertheless, I hope they continue to develop this product. With patience it can become a very important part of our entertainment future.

Now, why is it a good match for B&O? Well, I have a ML system in my house. I don't know of any other home entertainment product that so easily adapts to new technology. For example, I can listen to music from the front 2 speakers and mute my Avant's picture. Brilliant. I can also listen to the ATV from all the link rooms in the house. Cool. The reason I was asking Beojeff about the upgrade and the cost is because I am now using Lintronic, which is great, but if I get fast scroll with the B&O solution, that would be even better.

Alex

• 12-04-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

I was very tempted by the apple TV also but ended up buying a PS3 instead as this was only £100 more and for that extra £100 you get a lot more for your money whilst offering the same features plus a Blueray player, Internet Browser etc

If you install the free Tversity software on your PC this allows you to watch any format of movie (quicktime, divx, xvid etc etc) on the PS3 via your wireless home network without needing to re-encode the files (i believe this works for the xbox 360 too)

there is no chance of beo4 compatibility as the ps3 has bluetooth remote instead of infrared but i do not have a beovision (sadly) so this is not a problem for me.

• 12-04-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

The software update is the 4.7j for Avant and Beosystem 1. The upgrade cost $500 USD, and a dealer or authorized technician must come to the home. I'm in the U.S. There is no fast scroll. "Apple Remote" shows up as a source under either V.AUX or STB. It can also control a mac mini or ipod dock.
  • 12-05-2007 3:25 AM In reply to

I think that I am a little more positive on Apple TV than those above and I'd say its best to focus on what you have in your iTunes library which is mostly music and since with most B&O setups your TV is also your hifi, this is where it comes into its own. Encode at 256k and you have a superb media player for less than the price of an iPod Touch.

A lot of people focus on the video quality - and this is not a function of the AppleTV, more how the content was encoded. You can actually have superb quality if the video is encoded at sufficient resolution, but most stuff on the web is designed for instant streaming and is therefore at lower resolution. But with H.264 becoming the defacto standard - which is in now in Adobe Flash and Apple Quicktime - you'll see the resolution, quality and file sizes all improving in the very near future. This bodes well for AppleTV as it will be ready to play this content. Also iTunes store will also hopefully have a wider range of content - so the rumours go.

If you focus on it primarily as the best iPOD to connect to your TV (and most of your content is in iTunes already) then you won't be disappointed! 

The BeoMedia is simply a reskinned Windows Media PC running on a standard PC motherboard. The codec support is therefore very limited and Microsoft is not the best bet for video or music on the web since they are driving WMA, WMV and VC1 versus H.264/AAC and HE-AAC and they have an uphill struggle ahead of them, especially now the BBC have adopted Adobe Flash (H.264) for the iPlayer.

For £200 you cannot go wrong.

Mark. 

• 12-16-2007 10:47 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

I am interested to the AppleTV solution for my B&O setup. However I have some questions and knowledge from experienced B&O fans would be so appreciated!

- First, I have an EU Avant CTV 28" 100Hz (Type 8364), is the AppleTV compatible?

- What kind of cables should I use to connect to Avant (has on Scart inputs, decoder available...)?

- Is the BEO4 controls the AppleTV through Avant (thus can be hidden) or directly?

Thank you in advance for your inputs. Cheers! 

• 12-16-2007 11:46 AM In reply to

I'm in the USA so I am speaking only from what I have read in other threads:

For Scart, you will need to convert AppleTV from Component to Scart. There are a few converters out there. In the USA Avants have Component inputs (480p) so this is not a problem.

For control there may be an upgrade to your Avant's control database. Otherwise, do as I do - I use Lintronic.

I am very happy with this solution.

Good luck. Smile

• 12-16-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I've got one at the moment, just set it up this evening. My first impressions are that the video and photo side of things are very good. Videos are fantastic when they work, but often they don't as it's very limited when it comes to video formats. If only they would expand the types of videos it works with, it could be so much better. I still think it's fantastic though, and I'm loving it at the moment. YouTube is surprisingly good!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-16-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your quick replies. So it sounds feasible and even great (I am more looking for a music and photo solution. But I guess video will follow soon). This is a good start!

Sorry to bother, but I cannot find any cables going component (Audio+Video) to Scart.

I have checked all around but cannot find this one specifics... Any references please?

Thank you! ;-)

• 12-16-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Hello again. I have made my homeworks and this is what I have found if you are interested.

I am intending to connect the AppleTV to the Decoder scart of the Avant which should be RGB scart. 

Already B&O AppleTV experts may also let us know if they have tried these or have other solutions that work. Thank you. Cheers!

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/otherconverters.htm

http://poocs.net/2007/4/21/apple-tv-and-crt-tvs 

• 12-16-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Not to speak about the excellent thread on the Beo-Mac forum...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/4319.aspx

Thank you Alex for your great inputs. I will put mine when (if) I get there...

Cheers. 

• 12-16-2007 5:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Glad I helped. I'm listening to mine right now...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-16-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

Sadly, since NBC pulled out of the iTunes Music Store, the video content for the Apple TV has become a bit dismal. However, there's a great free program called HandBrake that can convert your DVD collection for use on the Apple TV.
  • 02-01-2008 8:07 AM In reply to

• remmos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2008
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Hej Beojeff

Hope you can help ...

I have bought a Apple Tv and connected to my Beovision Avant CTV (Sw10.2) and would really like to control the Apple TV with my Beo4 - Is this possible?

Hope to heard from you Embarrassed

Best regards, Torben Sommer

• 02-01-2008 8:44 AM In reply to

Don't buy apple TV yet! Apple said last month that the current apple TV will be discontinued. They want to release a new version soon that they said will meet consumers needs and wants. I am hoping that it will have a DVD drive or something and or more codecs.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 02-01-2008 9:03 AM In reply to

That's not right.  It's the same Apple TV but with updated software for rentals, and cheaper.  Current AppleTV users can download the software in the coming weeks.
  • 02-01-2008 10:07 AM In reply to

yeah it's the same appletv with software upgrade which allows users to rent video directly thru appletv without going to the computer.

you can rent HD content aswell.  but its only available to countries that allows users to purchase movies or tv series on itune.  So sadly Australia is out of the equation.

It will not come with a dvd drive, if you need a dvd drive, macmini is the way to go.

I have hook up an appletv to my BV7, and love it, it does exactly what I need it to do, play music and watch movies that I download. 

• 02-01-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

The Mac mini is the best value for money of any hardware from Apple since the first Macintosh in 1984, bar none. It's a miracle of rare device -- as you can gather I'm very pleased with mine.

It's connected to my HD-ready plasma and a receiver, as well as a stand-alone server, and delivers full range services of a media centre with access online, full video playback, DVD-playback, 5.1 surround dts/DD, lossless music being piped to Airport Express units. The list just goes on. 

And the fact that it's got a CD/DVD player built in helps it wipe the floor with the Apple TV. Only one drawback - I understand that the HD portion of Apple's movie download service will be Apple TV exclusively, and I've heard rumours that they are thinking of discontinuing the mini ...

Mine will be working away for years to come. 

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >