in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2007 9:37 AM by Fil. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2007 7:02 PM

• Fil
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Founder

Do i need a BL 2 ?

Hi.

I have a n Avant RF32 DVD with Penta 3's either side at the front and BL 4000's at the rear in quite a large open plan room with a wooden floor.

Do i need a BL2 ?

OR do i just want one?

Thanks in anticipation

Fil 

• 12-02-2007 7:32 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Re: Do i need a BL 2 ?

To get full Dolby Digital surround sound, yes but it comes down to personal prefrence. I'd get someone from the store to come around with a BL2 and test with and without it on both DVD and CD. The big difference will be the sound obviously having more bottom end and more feeling to it.
  • 12-02-2007 8:05 PM In reply to

You won't believe the bass the BL2 brings until you hear it. I have a Beolab 8000 and my friend a pair of Beolab 3s and we're both very happy with our speakers until I got my BL 2. The massive difference in sound made my friend buy a BL 2 for themselves the very same week they heard mine.
  • 12-02-2007 8:32 PM In reply to

During the past week, I have had a BL 2 on loan from my local dealer  to listen with my Beolab 1's.  I must admit that what I noticed most was what it did with some music.

To me the Lab 1's were a little more "relaxed" because I could hear some details in the music that I was familiar with, that I had not heard before.  Pretty cool!

Of course the BL 2 really shines during movies too!

Unfortunately, I will take it back tomorrow and add it to my list of future buys.  I keep hoping they will offer the BL 2 in colors available in current lineup of speakers.  I guaratee, the minute I give up on that dream and buy the BL2 in it's current blah finish, the colors will become available.

Test one  in your home if you can!

Roger 

• 12-02-2007 8:36 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

As has been said before, it all depends on the kinds of music you listen to, as well as the kind of speakers you have (and the size of the room). I have a pair of Lab3's along with a Lab2, and the Lab2 REALLY rounds out the sound. The Lab2 is unnecessary if you have Lab9s or Lab5s...

But a Lab2 REALLY does open up the kinds of sounds (as RPatton stated) your main speakers are capable of (in a digital setup) where the sound system is connected to the Lab2, and the main (L and R) speakers are connected to the OUT of the Lab2. 

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 12-02-2007 11:13 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I just got a BL2 to go with my BL3s and I love it.  As some people will note it depends alot on the type of music you listen to.  I had a Velodyne that I was using previously with the same setup.  The Velodyne had more wattage and is considered as good as they come ( even calibrated itself to the room like the BL5).  It was really good with electronic music and music with fast and tight bass.  I was a bit nervous about switching it out for the BL2.  I must say, however, that I have been very pleasantly surprised with the BL2.  Although it can get a little sluggish with the fast bass lines of some electronic music it sounds extremely natural with classical, jazz and rock.  Of course it is outstanding with movies and tv but I'm surprised at how I'm falling in love with my symphonic and jazz all over again.  I must note that I'm using the crossover in my BS1 for the BL2 and that I've got the sub a little lower in the mix as I don't like "in your face" bass.  It just seems to blend in more seemlessly with the BL3s then with the other sub.   It just really shines in this particular setup.  

-Michael

• 12-03-2007 2:21 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Sal:

But a Lab2 REALLY does open up the kinds of sounds (as RPatton stated) your main speakers are capable of (in a digital setup) where the sound system is connected to the Lab2, and the main (L and R) speakers are connected to the OUT of the Lab2. 

That's not a digital setup, it's analogue stereo. All speakers (Fronts, Backs and sub) connected to the DSS kit in the Avant playing DVD would be Dolby Digital/ DTS or a pair of BL5's connected from sound system to the coax digital in would be digital stereo. Being he has an Avant, he would use the surround processor.

Just buy it, you wont be disappointed. 

• 12-03-2007 4:26 AM In reply to

Fil:

Hi.

I have a n Avant RF32 DVD with Penta 3's either side at the front and BL 4000's at the rear in quite a large open plan room with a wooden floor.

Do i need a BL2 ?

OR do i just want one?

Thanks in anticipation

Fil 

Exactly my set up. For films, it makes a massive difference. As that is really what I use this system for , I am very pleased with it. Too much uncontrolled bass for loud music for my tastes though. I switch the BL2 off if listening to louder music.

• 12-03-2007 9:37 AM In reply to

• Fil
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Founder

Thanks for the sdvice and opinions guys.

I hope santa has room in his sack this year?! Gift

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)