in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2007 5:48 AM by js. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2007 9:33 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

BeoSound 5 and iTunes

Dear all,

I have the intention to buy a macBook with iTunes and to (i) digitalise my CD collection in Apple Lossless format; (ii) import my existing digital music collection (normal MP3 format, not from iTunes, currently on an old PC whose HDD is going to crash any day); and (iii) to buy new music from iTunes Store.

Depending on where I am in the house, I want to connect my macBook either (i) to my BS9000 via the audio digital output; or (ii) to my BC9500 via the analog output (I know, the DAC of the Mac is not that good and I will loose quality in this setup). More important to note, soon or late I may want to replace both BS9000 and BC95000 with a BS5 (the future digital music-based Beosound, if I am not mistaken) and upload all my music into such BS5.

Now, friends of mine have experienced serious compatibility problems with iTunes. My Apple dealer wanted to reassure me, but I hardly believe his argument. Therefore, would you please be so kind to help me answering both following questions:

1) Is it true that iTunes may not recognise some of my existing digital music files (or not want to upload it into an iPod)? Does that mean that part of my existing collection is useless and worthless with iTunes?

2) Is it true that Apple music files (both Apple Lossless and compressed files from iTunes Store) are not compatible with any other platform than iTunes? Does that mean that one's Apple music files library:

(i) cannot be used with any other (future) platform, e.g. when iTunes is outdated or when one does not want to be dependant from Apple any more?

(ii) cannot be used by the future BS5?

(iii) thus is useless and worthless without iTunes?

Thank you so much for your input.

Best regards,

Jean-Sebastien

• 11-30-2007 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 5 and iTunes

Where to start...

I would advise you to buy an Airport express and plug it on the back of the BS9000... That way you can transmit the music wirelessly. The transmission uses the lossless algorythm so it does not loose any quality and the Airport express has a Digital out.

I did not know the BS9000 had a digital in...

Now, I think someone has told you a lot of rubbish here... It is incredible what people can say...

ITunes will recognised all your MP3 or AIFF, iTunes on a mac will not recognise WMA.

With you current PC, I would advise you to install iTunes, and import everything in the library, and you'll see by yourself.

iTunes for PC does recognise WMA (without DRM) and is able to import them, but it converts them. If you use something different from Apple Lossless, you'll lose quality. If you use lossless, you'll have the same quality as the original WMAs.

Apple lossless are not compatible with other platform, that is true, but because it is lossless you can later on use iTunes to reconvert them to AIFF, and use another tool to convert them back to whatever you want. The conversion to Apple Lossless to AIFF is... well... lossless... The conversion to another format will only loose quality if you use a non lossless format.

Compressed files you bought from the store are in 2 different formats... some songs are with DRM some other songs are without DRM (iTunes+).

The songs without DRM are in AAC format, becoming widely used, on mobile phones and other digital media player, so not a big issue there.

For DRM protected songs, you are allowed to burn a CD with them, and use that CD however you want. If you reimport that CD in any platform using a lossless format, you'll keep the same quality as the file you've bought.

As you do not need a mac to play with iTunes, download it for free, import your songs and see if you're happy with it.

The good thing is when you have your mac you can copy you iTunes library from the PC to the Mac, and you'll keep all the organisation you've done.

Enjoy your mac, and by the way there is, only TODAY in europe, good discounts available if you order online.

p.

• 11-30-2007 4:49 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The BeoSound 9000 has no digital input, but you may be mistaking it for the digital output.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-03-2007 4:31 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

js - here is what i've done as i've had exactly the same concerns as you.

I've ripped all my music (still progressing) to a open standard lossless format; FLAC - using dbpoweramp CD ripper

Once ripped; i've used their dbpoweramp batch converter to convert all files into Apple loseless which i load into iTunes.

I'm using a 2nd machine with Itunes where i've converted the FLAC's to ACC at 256KBS which i use to sync with my touch/iphone in order to get more songs in there (due to size of loseless files)

Now; my solution has a few drawback's

• It takes up a lot of storage - external HD's are cheap today however
    • Bit cumbersome; extra steps; but with the batch converter it actually is quite smooth

I really hope apple will start to support open standard file formats like .flac in the near future; but will have to see what the future brings - until then i like to keep my files "future" proof without relying on a bald turtlenecks promises.....

cheers
    K

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 12-03-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Thanks all for your answers. It is becoming clearer now.

Best regards,

js

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)