in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2007 11:02 AM by Doc. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-29-2007 2:30 PM

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Dealer or Home Configuration?

I've previously only got my dealer to configure my Beo5 (and I am close to the setup I want), but I have now downloaded the software so am wondering do want to configure it at home, or stick with the dealer? What I would ideally like to do is get a copy of my configuration file from the dealer, bring it home and carry out the minor tweaks I want, and then copy the amended file back in the official dealer network? Is this possible - Where does it save the file?

I don't want to keep going to the dealer for revisions, and then getting home and finding it still doesn't work. Once I've gone down the home route it seems there is no way back to tthrough the dealer (except starting the setup again).

Ian 

• 11-29-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

Re: Dealer or Home Configuration?

The dealer can give you the xml file for your configuration.
  • 11-29-2007 3:41 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Do you know where it is saved? I've created a new setup on my PC, but can't find the XML file for it anywhere on my PC.

Ian 

• 11-29-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

Hi, You will find the file here:My computer, C Drive, Program files, Bang & Olufsen, Beo5 Config tool, Clients.

You will find your Beo5 seriel number here, inside this file will be your config.

Hope this helps.

Vinnie.

• 11-29-2007 3:51 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Ian, explore the following...

My Computer, Local Disk (C:),Program Files,Bang and Olufsen,Beo5 Configuration Tool, Clients,
    It should be in there.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-29-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Damn! Not quick enough.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 12-01-2007 3:54 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

I've got a copy of my setup file but I my software can't find it it.  When I plug the Beo5 in it recognises the serial # it but them prompts for a new setup. It looks like if I want to do it at home I will need to start again.

All this has got me thinking about Beo5 - Regarding the whole situation: How could B&O have handled this product any worse?  At the moment the whole software/setup situation is crap.

Ian 

• 12-01-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

Hi,

Have you place the xml file in the folder that exsists for your seriel number? You probably have, but if you have not, copy and paste it and place it in the folder. Then if you put your seriel number into search for box on the right hand side (on the Beo5 config tool), click search and your seriel should show up in the box below. Double click on the seriel number in this box and then go to create zones. It should have found the config your dealer has produced for you.

Martin.

• 12-01-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Unfortunatley doesn't work. When I first downloaded the software I created a new setup with the number: 123456 and in the 'Clients' directory it created a file called 'Clients' I copied my serial number directory into this directory but the serach still can't find it. I also renamed my serial number file as 'clients' but still nothing comes up.

Ian 

• 12-02-2007 1:24 PM In reply to

Are you putting your config into seriel 1234etc?

When you dock your Beo5 and it asks you to create new config say yes. This will create a new folder in Clients with your specific seriel number. You can go back into Clients to check this. If your seriel number is there, and it will be, go to the folder that your dealer has set up, open the folder, and you will see the xml file, right click on this and copy it. Then go into the clients folder again, go to your seriel number, not 1234etc, your seriel for your Beo5 and then right click on a blank space in that folder, not on the config that is in the folder already, then paste this. It will then ask if you would like to replace. Click yes and it will be replaced by your dealers file.

Now close all of the other windows. Open the Beo5 config tool. Dock your Beo5 and it will recognise your seriel number. Copy the seriel number where it appears, then paste it into Find existing profile and delete the seriel in Create New section. Click search in find existing profile, your seriel number wil appear below, double click on the seriel number, then click on create zones and yous will see your dealer config.

I have done this dozens of times due to mistakes so I always make a back up copy now just to be safe. This means that I have to follow the above to enter my back up file.

Sorry if you are suffering, it does take some time to get used to the program. As usual B&O never make life very easy when it comes to software. Be thankful that you have the software, many don't get the chance.

• 12-02-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

It doesn't work like that with me. I plug in the remote and the software comes up and says 'a new configuration created' but a new folder is not created in the clients directory, there is only 1 file called 'clients' so I can't copy the dealer configuration file (as per my previous post). Are you using Windows XP? I'm on Vista Home Premium, maybe that accounts for the difference?

Ian 

• 12-02-2007 4:52 PM In reply to

Probably quite correct! B&O does not seem to like Vista all the time. I am sure there are people who have it working with Vista, but it is a documented problem. If it is any consolation, on my home computer, the computer crashes if I try to upload a configuration! My work one works OK though! Home - XP .  Work - 2000 Prof
  • 12-02-2007 5:15 PM In reply to

Hi,

Yep I use XP and it works fine. Not too sure about the Vista side of things. I hope you find a solution tho.

Vinnie.

• 12-03-2007 2:52 AM In reply to

Gentlemen,

Perhaps I could answer a few questions raised in this thread related to the Beo5 Configuration Tool.

Question -- Can I transfer an existing Beo5 Configuration from my dealer to another PC ?

Answer -- Yes you can... The actual configuration file is called "Configuration.XML" which can be found in directory

C:\Program Files\Bang & Olufsen\Beo5 Configuration Tool\Clients\20XXXXXX\Configuration.xml

where 20XXXXXX is the serial number of your Beo5. If you have not previously created a configuration for your Beo5 on the PC, then you will either have to create one and subsequently replace the "Configuration.xml" file it creates with your configuration file OR edit the "Clients.xml" file to add your serial number.

Question -- Does the Configuration Tool work on Windows XP Home & Professional

Answer -- Yes it does, however it will fail on some hardware configurations particularly related to the USB if you have a controller which uses the SIS chipset. Also, it needs a PC with quite a lot of resources because it uses Microsoft .NET framework. If your PC does not have the Microsoft .NET framework installed prior to the Configuration Tool, then it will not work. So, the bottomline is that it will work on Windows XP Home & Professional subject to the points raised above.

Question -- Does the Configuration Tool work on Windows Vista ?

Answer -- Whilst I have not tested it, I would be surprised if it would, particularly because the Configuration Tool uses .NET which is almost certainly going to need version 2.0 of .NET under Vista.

Question -- How can I download different test configurations to the same serial number Beo5 ?

Answer -- It is possible to download and test as many different configurations as you like to the same Beo5 as follows:-

With the Beo5 NOT connected to the Beo5 base, create a serial number different to your Beo5 serial number such as 20999999. Once you have created your test configuration ensure you save it, then place the Beo5 on the base and it should detect and show the serial number of your Beo5, now enter your serial number you created such as 20999999 in the search field and click search and it should appear in the box below. Now double click on the found 20999999 configuration and it will appear in the left hand side as the connected device. Now just finalise and download. To get back to your correct configuration just remove and replace the Beo5 on the base and re-download

Regards Keith....

• 12-03-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

• Ian
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

Vinnie,

I solve 1 problem and gain 2: I've now installed it on a XP machine and I can get the serial number directory in the clients folder, but I still can't access it, and when I try and dock the remote XP doesn't recognise it and says the device is unsupported. So even if I could pull up my setup I won't be able to transfer it.

So, another visit to my dealer on Wednesday. My patience is wearing VERY VERY thin, and my advice to anybody buying a Beo5 is: DON'T!! (unless you want a VERY simple setup, or can get the software working).

Ian 

• 12-13-2007 2:15 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Can I import a configuration, from a dealer setup Beo5, into my pc? Without the xml file given by the dealer?
  • 12-13-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Keith,

My PC doesn't recognize the Beo5. Any solutions? (use Windows XP)

thanks

• 12-13-2007 2:21 PM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Vinnie,

Have the same problem; do you already have a solution?

• 12-13-2007 2:36 PM In reply to

Ian,

Let me start with your issue of Windows XP not recognising your Beo5. Assuming it has never recognised it means for some reason the driver was not installed. To check this use the following commands

Right Click on "My Computer"

Left click on "Properties"

OR if you do not have the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, then go to the "Control Panel" and double Click "system"

Now click the "Hardware" TAB and then Device manager

If you see an "Unknown Device" with a yellow ? or ! next to it then you don't have the driver load and that is why it is not being recognised

If so, you should right click on the "unknown device" and click update driver

Regards Keith....

• 12-13-2007 2:40 PM In reply to

If you want your Beo5 configuration produced by your dealer, you will need the "Configuration.xml" file

Regards Keith....

• 12-13-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Doc:

Keith,

My PC doesn't recognize the Beo5. Any solutions? (use Windows XP)

thanks

Remove the Beo5 from the docking station, then press and hold "GO" (center button) till it powers down completely and place it on the docking station. It will turn on automatically and the PC will recognize it.

Roger

• 12-14-2007 7:21 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Sadly it doesn't work....

Do I have to install any drivers? (I have version 1.02, SV 0,35)

• 12-14-2007 7:38 AM In reply to

You say, sadly it does not work, but when you followed my instructions was there an "Unknown Device" ?

Normally, the driver would be installed as part of the normal installation process automatically, however I have seen several situations where this does not occur, so lets get back to the questions:-

1. When you followed my instructions was there an "Unknown Device" shown in Device manager ?
    2. Has your Beo5 ever worked on your PC ?
    3. You say you have version 1.02, did it previously work with Version 1.0 ?

Regards Keith....

• 12-14-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

It now works with my Vista-laptop (BeoConfigTool version 1.00)
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)