in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-26-2007 2:52 PM by Jandyt. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2007 5:10 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Magnificent sound REproduction

I had a listen to a pair of B&O beolab 5's today. It was the Vienna Philharmonic, playing Tchaikovsky's symphony no.5...

Absolutely breathtaking!

Never ever have i heard speakers emanate sound like this, and the cost is surprisingly competitive! Wow wow wow. 
    Why aren't more people talking about these marvellous machines, these can't be far from a the title of world best can they?

I'm going to buy a pair. I've always been an admirer of Bang & Olufsen for their beautiful products, but i had no idea they offered such serious HIFI.

I think this just may be the beginning of an obssesion... :O

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-23-2007 5:33 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Magnificent sound REproduction

So glad that you liked the 5s so much. If they are within you reach, go for it
    As for the start of an obsession, Be careful! you'll soon be as ga-ga as the rest of us
    Welcome to the forum----tell all your friends Big Smile

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-23-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

welcome on the forum.

you just described on of the main problem of b&o: most people think it is only about design, but it is mainly about sound- and picture-quality

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-23-2007 5:45 AM In reply to

The BeoLab 5s have been ignored by the regular audiophile crowd because they run counter to everything they go by.

You're supposed to have separate monobloque amplifiers for speakers at this quality level; you're supposed to run a signal cable to the amps -- then a loudspeaker cable to the units.
    From an audiophile's viewpoint, the BL5s are tweakproof.
    In all fairness, the fact that they do not have Balanced IN takes quite a few potential audiophiles out of the equation. They simply do not feel comfortable with hooking up to the standard Line IN RCA connector. And feeding them an SP/DIF signal, straight from the source, also takes some of the fun out of being an audiophile.

BL5s are simply too plug-and-play for audiophile comfort. I had a pair examined by one of the world's foremost sound engineers. He laughed out loud when he saw the signal cable -- but he sat down to listen once they got going, he was quite impressed with them, but never got comfortable with the fact that he couldn't be 100% certain both loudspeakers were at the exact same volume setting, when run from a non-B&O source. Since there's no visual level feedback you can't really be absolutely certain -- unless you push both speakers to maximum volume, and then take down the signal you feed them -- but that's not ideal.

So - audiophiles are missing out on an incredible experience. But it's fun to set them in front of a pair and watch their jaw slide open. 

I'm in the final stages of planning my music room, where a pair of BL5s will take pride of place. I'll be feeding them via the SP/DIF digital connection, but routing the signal through a line-level and equalizer unit from my various sources. Can't wait! These speakers are world class marvellous. Sheer delight for the ears and soul.

• 04-23-2007 10:27 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, it is very exciting to find a brilliant product such as the beolab 5, with the finesse and style that B&O offers.

That's so interesting, how the sometimes-stubborn audiophile mind works with that kind of thing, but i am wondering, soundproof, why go through all of that hassle when B&O provide components to drive the speakers the way they are intended (such as that 'winged media centre')?

Another interesting point of conversation regarding the way B&O products are percieved to myself and others. Strangely I agree with both the critics and the fans.

I have also heard the beolab 6000's, the 8000's and the 4000's where i would admire the sheer style and volume they bring to the table, but for pure, differentiated sound quality, i would not pay the amount they cost... the stunning design and build quality however would seduce me.

The beolab 5's are very different, dare i say, elite in my opinion and they are a hell of an acheivement. I look forward to seeing this technology trickle down to the other beolabs mentioned above, when they are suceeded. The technology is already in the Audi A8 and winning acclaim, so there you go eh! 

Hopefully more journalists and audio enthusiasts will begin to realise the potential and credibility of Bang & Olufsen. I certainly now realise it! 

PS I've read a few articles... and Bose should not be mentioned when comparing B&O

• 04-23-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

Interesting thread. The only problem I have with B&O as an audiophile brand is that the source devices are not as good as the BL5. We still await the Beosound 5, or whatever it will be called, which is supposed to be of a similar quality to the BL5. In the meantime,  a Beogram CD7000 could be the answer!
  • 04-23-2007 10:40 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

philipsmz_333:
    Bose should not be mentioned when comparing B&O

Could not agree more.WinkThere is Bose dealer close to where I work. Had a look at some of the Bose products. The finish on them is so cheap IMO very plastic. No look of quality at all.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-23-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The old beogram cd7000 is better than the newest cd players?! Wow i presumed that the quality of the cd players avalable at the moment was as good if not better... 

The sound quality of those lifestyle sysyems from Bose, is horrific (when the price is realised).

• 04-23-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

Bose is illusion over reality, and they play a pretty good trick when you consider the size of the speakers. But put them next to comparably priced "proper" speakers and you're in for an entirely different experience. Yet Bose's positioning is a worthwhile one - to create audio systems that blend in unobtrusively, while providing sound.

I don't like their sound, not involving enough. Get the same experience I get when I compare a compressed mp3 vs. uncompressed or lossless. Yes, the music's there, but not all there, by a serious margin.

Peter's making a reference to the fact that the Beogram CD 7000 (and 6500) have an S/PDIF digital out connector in the back, which you can hook directly to BL5s. Very few of today's CD transports match the quality of earlier CD-players - (there are companies that build their own, but most are using "off the rack" units that also double as DVD-players, multi-format this and that. Audiophiles are going hunting among older items, looking for equipment to refurbish.)
    And Peter's right, the present B&O sources aren't at benchmark level for audiophile reproduction.

In the German Forum at the previous BeoWorld there was a lengthy discussion of how one could upgrade both the Beosystem 7000 amp and the CD-player. I'm going to have that done to my units.

The "secret" is to find units that produce the sound you are most pleased with - it's a very subjective thing (mildly put). Whether new or old doesn't matter, as long as they help you go deep diving into all the music you've been missing out on! Smile

Don't forget the BL3s in your encomium to the BL5s. The BL3s are surprisingly versatile and rich speakers -- I use them as headphones, absolutely brilliant.

• 04-23-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's interesting to see the comments about the CD7000, because I'd have to agree. When listening through my CD7000, BM6500 & B&W DM7s, there's something far more musical than modern B&O. The sound stage also sounds more natural in a really hard-to-describe way. It just seems to ram the music down your throat, in comparison to the modern B&O stuff which often sounds absolutely incredible and technically in a completely different league to my system, but somehow the music doesn't seem like the focus. I guess this is almost all to do with the source, as ICE Power amps and the speakers are definitely miles better than what I own (although I still reckon my DM7s would give BeoLab 9s a good run for their money when it comes to soundstage, tonality and low-end kick!).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-23-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter:
    We still await the Beosound 5, or whatever it will be called

Not heard anything about that for a long time. In fact until I read this I had forgotten all about it. What is the latest on this?

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-23-2007 3:50 PM In reply to

• andyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Peak District, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Bronze Member

Craig:
    Peter:
    We still await the Beosound 5, or whatever it will be called
    Not heard anything about that for a long time. In fact until I read this I had forgotten all about it. What is the latest on this?CraigBig Smile 
    Yeah, please some one (Roger), give us some info on this! 
  • 04-23-2007 9:56 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

As a classical musician, i know quite well what an orchestra is supposed to sound like, and i have heard quite a few setups. The beolab 5's that i heard in store are as close to the real thing as you can get before you go and jump up on the stage and sit next to the oboe!

Would there really be a discernable difference in the performane of the beolab 5's considering that it is an all digital speaker? If a source with spdif outputs to the beolab 5's sounds MORE realistic than what i have heard... then i'm sure i could be forgiven for shouting out - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Sounds a little bit petty if you ask me.

Yes the beolab 3's also intrigued me, they sounded very clear with a good sound stage, but with the volume turned up, the mid range and bass was muddy and shallow. I think they are more suited for close up listening at lower volumes (such as use with a pc).

• 04-24-2007 2:01 AM In reply to

With digital input, so people feel they sound more precise but a little sterile. I think it is a matter of taste. I agree completely about the BL3s which are super at low to bit volumes but which get confused at high volumes. Their performance is improved by adding a BL2 as it removes some of the lowest frequencies. I am sure the ABRs are responsible for this.
  • 04-24-2007 3:20 AM In reply to

philipsmz_333:
    As a classical musician, i know quite well what an orchestra is supposed to sound like, and i have heard quite a few setups. The beolab 5's that i heard in store are as close to the real thing as you can get before you go and jump up on the stage and sit next to the oboe!

Would there really be a discernable difference in the performane of the beolab 5's considering that it is an all digital speaker? If a source with spdif outputs to the beolab 5's sounds MORE realistic than what i have heard... then i'm sure i could be forgiven for shouting out - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Sounds a little bit petty if you ask me.

Yes the beolab 3's also intrigued me, they sounded very clear with a good sound stage, but with the volume turned up, the mid range and bass was muddy and shallow. I think they are more suited for close up listening at lower volumes (such as use with a pc).

As I am not a musician, I went to a number of top performers in both Jazz and Classical to get their opinion on the "nearness" to performance sound of the BL3 and BL5. The BL5 astonished them, several stating they were completely comfortable with its sound.

They particularly noted the crisp and true top-end. This is the same crispness some complain about when listening to the BL5s. But it's there in performance, when you're on top of your instrument, before the sound has been processed by being bounced of walls and others in the audience before reaching your ears. In other words, people complain because it doesn't sound as it should if you're in the audience and not hearing it all ...

I agree on the BL3s. They sause up at the top, but on the way there you've got near-field listening instruments capable of delivering bliss.

• 04-24-2007 3:48 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well put guys, you both obviously know your stuff. I'm impressed that you execute your opinions in a fair and diplomatic way, unlike alot of the other opinion forums you come across on the net. 

Maybe i'll have to get a pair of these BL3's with a subwoofer! For the bedroom or something like that. I reckon the reason some people complain of the crispness is because you get the sound from the location of the microphone in the recording. If you went and put your head where the microphones were in any live performance, it would surely knock you around (like the beolab 5's at higher volumes)! 

As i've already said, EXCITING.  :)

• 04-24-2007 4:29 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Yes, very interesting thread, indeed. Personally, I would encourage even more musicians' and speaker experts' comments on the forum (having Dave Moulton on the old forum was fantastic!). Since I'm not either such opinions are really valuable to me. Thanks guys.

Regarding bose, I never got involved in comparisons, but sometimes think that they get bashed too much. Their only product I own are the originally mounted speakers in my car and must say, that I'm quite happy with the sound - especially in comparison with other standard car audio!

Thankfully, we humans are kind of accomodating creatures: despite having BL5s as the main speakers I'm never tired of listening to my other B&O speakers as well.

• 04-24-2007 7:12 AM In reply to

To be honest, I can listen to almost anything! I prefer certain speakers but it is the music that I like! In the kitchen we have a cheap Sony radio cassette (too difficult to link as the walls are very thick!) and it is fine!
  • 04-24-2007 7:18 AM In reply to

Peter:
    To be honest, I can listen to almost anything! I prefer certain speakers but it is the music that I like! In the kitchen we have a cheap Sony radio cassette (too difficult to link as the walls are very thick!) and it is fine!

Sacrilege! (old site smiley here!)

• 04-24-2007 8:10 AM In reply to

Laughing Used mainly for speech CDs and tapes but the odd music CD does go on when I am emptying the dishwasher or washing up! I was going to get a BS1, but it won't play tapes and the Century would get greasy too easily. Have just bought the Logitech iPod dock and speakers to see if that is better though!
  • 04-24-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

saf:

Yes, very interesting thread, indeed. Personally, I would encourage even more musicians' and speaker experts' comments on the forum (having Dave Moulton on the old forum was fantastic!). 

I'm still here!  Saving up for a pair of BL9s to add to my collection!  Thanks for the flattering thoughts.  

Best regards,

Dave Moulton
    Dave
  • 04-24-2007 9:39 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Wow, Dave Moulton, i'm star struck!

• 04-24-2007 11:26 PM In reply to

Sorry if a little off topic, but any thoughts about how the Beolab 9s sound compared to Beolab 1s? 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 04-26-2007 2:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

philipsmz333:

Just out of curiosity, David, Which instrument do you play, or is there a clue in the fact that you sit next to the oboe?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)