in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-23-2010 12:49 PM by Vienna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-26-2007 3:04 AM

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

PC connection on BeoLink Active

Following discussions in other threads it occurs to me that there may be an opportunity to be exploited if we can utilize the now redundant PC connection on the thousands of BeoLink Actives that we already own.  In my own installation I have 7 "B&O enabled" rooms.  I can only use 3 of those rooms to introduce new sources to the ML (BS9000, BeoPort and an Avant).  The other locations are "sterile" in that they can only select sources which are connected to the Aux port on the BS9000, to my Mac, or the scart connections on the Avant.  In my installation there are other possibilities (an AppleTV in a link room for instance).  Presumably it would not be a huge amount of work to enable the redundant PC connection on BeolLink Active boxes.  I could see a huge opportunity in the marketplace for a small "black box" which connects on one side to the redundant PC connector on the BeoLink and has digital and analog audio connections on the other,  Lintronic to the rescue perhaps.  Does anyone have the technical knowledge to evaluate the feasibility of this.   Perhaps it's just the case that a pin needs to be held high on the datalink?

Any ideas Keith? 

--Phil

Filed under: , ,
  • 11-26-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Re: PC connection on BeoLink Active

I use the PC setup above... Its a local command, or it works as such.  The signal is not passed to Masterlink I don't think. Great for Turntables etc..

You are up against it. Masterlink would have to be re-written or engineered back to allow for multi room master setups. Kind of 2 way communication.Its rumoured that is the way it was designed so it may not be that difficult.

Although the signaling could possibly be altered if B&O choose to do so there are other problems.  Mainly the limitation of the number of audio and video signals passed room to room via ML, and RF which is 2. There are other problems such a registering link devices to make them addressable with B&O's option list, remote control commands options etc etc..

I have tried to go down this path before.

Personally I wish B&O would produce a "Link Room Master Converter". ...Configured at option 12 it would allow remote devices to be brought into the B&O link system model.  Oops, the wine is working now...

Over to others.

Beoaus.

• 11-26-2007 5:28 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Thanks Beoaus.  Can you tell me exactly how you are using it?

--Phil

• 11-27-2007 12:20 AM In reply to

Hi all...I'm trying to do the same thing...i've also got 7 rooms with either active or passive links... and here's what i'm trying..

In my gym, i've got the active linked to the master downstairs. Then I got a PC adapter for the PC input..that's to RCA's....and then ran in the audio from a TV/DVD player to that...

Nothing is working yet..but the idea is to switch from the local TV to the Master on command...now..why couldn't you just convert your Powerlink out of another unit in that room....Overture, etc...and run the Powerlink outs/via RCA to the PC input of the active kit...

Then set the options of the IR Eye of the Active and the Overture to different settings...then just play with the remote to determine which you are controling the IR eye and Master or the local overture..??????

Is there a PC input adapter that is not just RCA?? ie.. AUX ???

• 11-27-2007 2:58 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Hi Frank,  sounds as though you have the same requirement that I do ( attaching an external device in a link room ).  Please keep in touch on your progress.  This must be something that almost every B&O owner is interested in!

Good luck and keep in touch.

--Phil

• 07-23-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Smile [:)] Re: PC connection on BeoLink Active

Frank Rizzo:

In my gym, i've got the active linked to the master downstairs. Then I got a PC adapter for the PC input..that's to RCA's....and then ran in the audio from a TV/DVD player to that...

Nothing is working yet..but the idea is to switch from the local TV to the Master on command...now..why couldn't you just convert your Powerlink out of another unit in that room....Overture, etc...and run the Powerlink outs/via RCA to the PC input of the active kit...

You don't have to "reinvent the wheel" ...   http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/15997.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)