in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-27-2007 10:18 AM by FSv2. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2007 3:57 PM

• FSv2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Mac Mini 2 BV7

Long time lurker, first time poster... so be gentle... Wink

I currently have a BeoVision7 40", with Sky (via the SCART) & a XBox360 via the component & R-L audio connectors.

I'm thinking of setting up a media center computer and am leaning towards the Mac Mini, and was wondering of how to go about connecting it to the BV7.

I know the video will be connected via the DVI, but after reading this thread http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/permalink/3055/4691/ShowThread.aspx#4691, I had my doubts if the audio is going to be an issue. I have a lot of MP3 music (80gb+) and about 1TB of divx/xvid videos, all of which would probably be 2CH audio.

The videos & music will be streamed (hopefully), via the PC in another room.

Thanks.

.:FS:.
  • 04-23-2007 11:30 AM In reply to

Re: Mac Mini 2 BV7

• 04-23-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Or use a scart connector in the AV3 connection on the back of the set, such as the one below:

composite video & stereo audio to scart adapter

It's such a pain that the BeoVision 7 cannot decode incoming stereo digital audio through the digital connections, but hopefully there will be a software update to 'fix' this (although B&O's official line is that the only thing you would need digital stereo connections for is playing off the internal DVD player). This was fine up until people started wanting to connect Apple TVs, MacMinis and PS3s etc...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-23-2007 2:06 PM In reply to

Hi Alex,

You seem pretty "clued-up" on this subject ... Have you been aware of this shortcoming for a while? ... I had been struggling with the problem of external digital connections ever since I bought my Beovision 7 some 18 months ago. 

I figure that anyone with a HD STB (Sky or V+) will potentially the same problems.

Alan
  • 04-23-2007 2:09 PM In reply to

• FSv2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

Ta,

I was actually on the belkin site looking at the following http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=130101 .

I was hoping for a simple answer, like forcing the Mac to always output sound as DD5.1 (a software switch in the control panel, maybe), ie ignoring the fact the video/music was encoded as stereo, but then so-much for my simplistic view of things.

Now I just have to learn the mysterious ways of the Mac... ho hum...

Thanks again... 

• 04-23-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

cafield:
    Hi Alex,

You seem pretty "clued-up" on this subject ... Have you been aware of this shortcoming for a while? ... I had been struggling with the problem of external digital connections ever since I bought my Beovision 7 some 18 months ago. 

I figure that anyone with a HD STB (Sky or V+) will potentially the same problems.

Alan

I was kind of aware that the BeoVision 7 could be quite picky with digital signal types, but I didn't know that it completely refused a stereo digital connection until I hooked a Play Station 3 up to a 7-40, and yes others with HD STBs have had huge issues with their BeoVision 7s.

In short - B&O, PLEASE fix it! There's not much I can think to do in the meantime, but I'm sure I'll suddenly click for a workaround in the meantime which allows you to connect digitally...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-24-2007 9:49 AM In reply to

is there no digital connection alternative to a scart switching box???

I'm thinking a digital version of the av2 expander or such like?

• 04-26-2007 8:29 AM In reply to

Hi Alex,

I had eventually come around to the same conclusion as you, and have a full scart providing my 'backup' signal for my Telewest/Virgin V+ STB and the L&R analog connections providing 'backup' for my Apple TV.

Although my local dealer gladly helped me in developing the workaround, B&O never once volunteered information about the Beovision 7's inability to handle PCM during the 18 month period that I was trying to get to grips with the problem. It was always suggested that it was my digital source that was the cause of my woes. It was only when I had similar problems with my Apple TV, that I then tried a variety of other the digital sources and came to the conclusion that the TV was ignoring completely valid PCM signals. When I asked B&O the direct question  "Does the BeoVision 7 accept PCM via the digital connections?" then, and only then did they advise that it didn't. I believe the ability to handle PCM is actually part of the Dolby Digital standard, and so would have expected more from B&O.  

Did you have a similar experience?

Alan
  • 04-27-2007 10:18 AM In reply to

• FSv2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Posts 8
    • Bronze Member

I don't know if this would solve my issues, but since the current talk on the future of a BeoVision7 is that it will have an integrated/cut down BeoSystem3, one way to go is to just add an external switch box. So I came across this dvi switcher...

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/bandridge-4port-hdmidvi-switcher-p-726.html

I was thinking of hooking the XBox360 upto a DVI port (via a VGA/DVI adapter), Mac Mini upto another DVI port, this would then leave me 2 HDMI ports for other boxes (SkyHD, maybe even a PS3), then connecting the output to the DVI on the BV7 (with audio via the R-L ports). Of course all these boxes are connected to one input on the BV7 so I cant use the Beo4 to switch inputs.

But it is the only way I can think of connecting multiple HD devices, hopefully.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)