in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-22-2007 7:18 AM by Nicholas. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2007 12:15 AM

BeoSound 6

Has anyone seen the new BeoSound 6 mp3 player?

One has to wonder why B&O even bothers with such a device? I haven't held one, but looking at it... why would anyone want to pay B&O price when you can get sexier and no doubt cheaper with with an Ipod Touch? The  interface looks like Creative's Zen in the shape of Microsoft's Zune.

The sad part of it all is that B&O had created many of the ground breaking concepts that are now the hallmark of Apple 20 years ago. Jacob Jensen's disklike for buttons and knobs is instilled in Steve Jobs. The all glass surface of the iPod Touch / iPhone first appeared on the CDX and later Beolink 7000. Apple was not the first to integrate sensi-touch with an LCD screen. Finally the whole concept of hiding controls from the user when not relevant to the function at hand was introduced in the Beocenter 9000 series.

Why can't B&O come up with cool stuff anymore? Beolink 7000 was cool! I'd pay B&O price for an Iphone, but would NOT pay iPhone price for for Beosound 6. With products like Beolink 7000, Beocenter 9500, Beocenter 2500 etc.. those pieces were COOL. They were fun and "magical" as the copy department in Denmark use to say. I fear BeoSound 6 is cashing in soley on the brand name with no real "cool factor" value.

I don't think these guys get it!

Thoughts?

Derek

• 11-22-2007 2:53 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 6

Eduard:

Here's what's going through my head when I look at this thing. What does the Beosound 6 give me that I don't already have with my Ipod Photo? (now 3 years old)

New interface? Not really... fundamentally not different from Zen or Zune.

Memory? 4 Gigs. I have 30Gs. The Ipod nano 4Gs and much cheaper, smaller, aluminum, stylish and does video.

What do I lose? No photos, no videos, iTunes...(iPod touch's new interface; wifi connection; web browser)

Is the BS6 form factor novel? Not really....

Is the audio better? I concede that I would have to audition to make a judgment but there are several practical issues that discount this.

1) Most music is likely to be  MP3 based so not great to begin with. With 4Gs you don't have the luxury to put too many uncompressed WAV files.

2) I only ever use this thing when working out or traveling and always wearing ear buds.  In short, not in an ideal listening conditions where any improvement could be that much better to make a difference.

So what am I getting other than a box that says B&O?

• 11-22-2007 3:21 AM In reply to

The BS6 offers a few things not seen in another player. The quality of materials used is very high and this is a boutique type product where the feel of a product is very imprtant. It lso does offer good sound quality, probably better than the iPod Photo which was a disappointment compared to the earlier iPods in this regard.

However the latest iPods seem to be taking the sound quality issue seriously again and it would be most interesting to hear the two side by side. The iPod Touch is a fantastic device and is incredibly flexible. As seen on the other thread, I have one and use it as a remote for controlling my N.Music through my Beolink system. The interface is just unbelievable and it is difficult to see how it could be made from any better materials. It can play all manner of AAC,MP3 and lossless tracks and of course can also play back video - I have Pirates of the Caribbean on mine at present.

I actually play to use my 160Gb iPod Classic as my music player and keep the Touch as a remote! I suppose a comparison between the BS6 and the iPod Touch is like a Bristol car and an Audi R8. The former is excellent in many ways - beautifully made and capable but essentially outdated. That doesn't make it any less attractive but appeals to a different market.

• 11-22-2007 4:58 AM In reply to

Hi Peter:

You said in greater clarity and brevity what I perhaps was less successful at trying to convey, that BS6 is "outdated."

I didn't say that BS6 was "less attractive," only that the product is under delivering especially for its price.

In the past when I have purchased B&O it was because there was something innately innovate, unique and truly novel.

Beogram 8000 (microprocessor controlled, AC induction motor drive)

CDX unique design, first sensi touch panel

Bevox CL and Cona (This was the technology that Bose's satellite system is based on; B&O used sub woofer satellite technology long before anyone else) 

Beolink 7000, most sophisticated, and advanced remote control

BS 9000, unique CD clamper mechanism, visually stunning mechanicals

Each of these pieces were/are rather iconic in their respective period. B&O represented the first to market with the idea/concept/design. This was what you paid for.

BS6 represents none of these characteristics. I'm use to paying for B&O products that are "me first" rather than "me too". BS6 is "me too"

Eduard, I'm not saying that BS6 is not a competent product. It simply doesn't have the innovative edge that prior B&O had. You don't need to play with one to make this observation it is obvious, although I promise you that I will the next time I'm at the store. :)

• 11-22-2007 7:18 AM In reply to

A good analogue regarding Bristol and Audi. I think that is pretty spot on. It really is horse for course.

Nicholas

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)