in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-28-2007 10:20 AM by Peter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2007 8:52 AM

Beogram 4500

Help, this deck is getting me down, I have replaced the sub platter and replaced the main drive belt. However when I play a record everything is fine untill the arm tracks across the record. What I mean by this is, when the first track is playing its perfect as the arm goes across the record a noise starts and gets louder the more it tracks across the record. This noise is not something being transmitted through the pick up its more a noise from under the platter.

Anyone have any idea what this could be. 

• 11-21-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 4500

I take it that it doesn't do it until the record is playing. This has been reported and is sometimes due to the flexible contact wiring belt touching the moving platter. Obviously you cannot see it when you just take the top off as it is over the other side. Try taking the platter and subplatter off and then set the arm off. You may well see if the belt is springing up and a bit of judicious fiddling can fix this!
  • 11-21-2007 10:53 AM In reply to

Peter is quite correct with his diagnosis.

This is best sorted with the "bonnet" up! Remove the cartridge out of harms way. Remove the platter. Now lift the bonnet of the deck. Press play while holding the centre "weighing" device down. After a couple of seconds you can release the centre and the sub platter will continue to spin. Now move the arm manually across to where it would be when playing a record. You should be able to reproduce the noise and correct it.

May also be that the platter height is set too low and it is catching on a fixed part of the deck. Platter height should be set/adjusted with the carriage towards the centre rather that in it's normal rest position. As the carriage moves across the record, the additional weight moving towards the centre of the record changes the balance. It's true!!

Let us know what you find.

Regards Graham

• 11-21-2007 12:27 PM In reply to

Thanks I will try this when Im back in my other apartment where the B and O is. One other thing how do you adjust the height of the the platter
  • 11-21-2007 12:28 PM In reply to

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much I will try this the next time im in my other apartment where the B and O is setup, and let you know the outcome. 

• 11-28-2007 7:03 AM In reply to

Hello,Right I have followed the advice and have an update. The noise does not appear at all when you take the record and the platter off. However when you place the platter on and do the test again it only appears towards the last part of the tracking. Once a record is place on the platter it does make the noise after the 2nd track. If this means that the platter height needs adjusting how do I do that, as I could not see any means to adjust the height once the platter and subplatter were taken off.
  • 11-28-2007 9:46 AM In reply to

Remove the plater and the rear portion of the lid (the plastic bit with the grooves in).

Now you will see three round cutouts in the base spaced around the outer edge of the sub platter, within them is a screw (Philips headed) which adjusts the tension on the spung chassis. Only small changes are required to lift/lower and it's a bit trial and error.

I suggest that you upgrade your membership to at least silver when you will be able to download the service manual which includes pictures of what I am trying most inadequately to describe!

Regards Graham

• 11-28-2007 10:15 AM In reply to

Dear Graham,

yeah think your right its about time I upgraded it.

Do you think that the problem is with the height of the platter then? 

• 11-28-2007 10:20 AM In reply to

I am sure it is that. However take the platter off completely and look at what the connection lead does when you move the arm across. This can move up and will catch on the rotating platter. 
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)