in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-28-2007 5:29 AM by dilznik. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-20-2007 6:48 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Beosound Century vs Beosound 1

Hi all i'm looking for some opinions on what people think about these two products and how their sound output differs. I've personally never heard a century, but was impressed with the sound i heard from the Beosound 1.

The thing is, i really need a music system in the bedroom and must have AM radio. I would prefer to have it all built in as it would be on a century (which is also cheaper), but if the sound quality and depth is not as good as the Beosound 1 then i am prepared to hook up a separate AM tuner via AUX with a BS1.

Please, i would love some advice!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-20-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound Century vs Beosound 1

I personally prefer the Century. You have the ability to control the tone controls and having a tape player is a bonus. No timer though. Not all Centurys have AM though. The BS1 looks more modern though.

• 11-20-2007 7:23 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Hi david,

We have a Century on the wall in the kitchen. Despite its age it still looks cool. The sound from it never ceases to amaze us and our guests. Nice to be able to change the fret colours too. I know it can be done on the BS1 but not as cheap. All in all, still a nice piece of kit IMO.

Jonnie

• 11-20-2007 7:43 AM In reply to

We had a Century for years and the sound was really good. I also think that with the sliding door it is more B&O, but that's a real personal impression.

Especially when wall mounted the slim design is pretty cool. To me Century looks like a proper stereo, while the Beosound1 is more a portable system.

Marcus 

• 11-20-2007 8:07 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

My first reaction would be: Beolink Active linked to your BS4. But:

- BS4 does not have AM; and

- sadly, Beolink still does not enable to listen to different sources in the master and linked rooms (and I cannot understand why B&O has not developed such a convenient functionality yet).

Anyway, I think you would be pleased with both the Century and the BS1 (it will also be a question of price and design, I guess).

Kind regards,

Jean-Sebastien

• 11-20-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

The first B and O item my wife and I purchased was a Century. It has been followed by many other products including Beosound 3000 and  1, and Beolab 1, 4000, 6000, and 9. The Century is still one of my favorites. The sound is amazing, far better than the 1. 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-20-2007 9:12 AM In reply to

I started with a Century also and loved it.  I got a BS4 and moved the Century to my bedroom.  I got a BL3500 for the bedroom but I just can't bring myself to sell the Century.  It's pretty cool looking and it sounds great.  I have it hooked up to an airport express for listening to streaming audio.  It's totally redundant since I can use the Beoport and the BL3500 but I don't care.  The thing is pimp and I just basically want to keep it.
  • 11-20-2007 9:42 AM In reply to

Hi David,

I was faced with the same issue a few years ago. Here are my thoughts.

The Century is only 11 centimeters deep, which is a real advantage in a small room. Personally I think it doesn't look as nice as a Beosound 1. The Century is mainly plastic, with a bit of glas and 4 pieces of cloth to hide the speakers. Later versions had the aluminium clamper which helped a bit, but I would have preferred more metal. I don't care for the cassette option on the Century. I have a few tapes left, but I have a Beocenter 9300 which I use for that purpose.

As for the Beosound 1, I love the design. A simple mass with a beautiful aluminium speaker grill. It's more of a portable system than the Century, which may come in handy.

I can't help you with the performance issue. It's so long ago I have heard a Century. General opinion seems that the Century is better, though.

So which did I choose. You'd probably guess a Beosound 1. You're wrong, this time. I bought a Beosound 2300 with a couple of Beolab 2500's. Works for me. Cool

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-20-2007 9:06 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Wow thank you so much for the opinions, i love both the designs in a different way. The century looks classier, but the Beosound 1 just looks cool and modern and the design is awesome. I just assumed that the Beosound 1 sounded better with the extra woofer and larger cabinet volume. The Century on a table stand in 1 centimetre larger than the Beosound 1...

I just can't choose. I think it is a choice of form or function. I can't think of a time where i have wanted something portable.

From what you said Razlaw, the century sounding far better than the 1 considering you have both, then it looks like i will end up getting the century.

• 11-27-2007 7:56 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm ripping my hair out here trying to decide and i still cannot decide! If i go with the century i will have a very functional system, but if i chose the BS1 i will have an absolutely beautiful looking item which can be placed on a floorstand. How different is the sound, Peter?

• 11-27-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

Best to listen for yourself but obviously this is difficult. I think despite the sub woofer in the BS1 that the bass on the Century is better and that the flexibility that the tone controls give to a portable device can be important. The ability to have a cassette is also useful. However if you are not going to use cassettes, then I would consider the BS1 which is much more modern looking. The sound difference would not make me lose that much sleep and it sounds as if you prefer the BS1. You can also have a timer on the BS1 which is useful. No MW though!
  • 11-27-2007 9:33 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I like both and would have to connect an MW (AM) tuner via Aux if choosing the BS1. I think the Timer is a nice idea and it's a shame the century doesn't have one. So i guess it's a draw. [:'(]

• 11-27-2007 11:37 AM In reply to

Why exactly do you want one of these anyway?
  • 11-27-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm going to be a pain and disagree with Peter! Stick out tongue IMO the BeoSound 1's bass seems to extend deeper than the Century (although I can't say I've ever listened to a Century extensively, I do listen to the BeoSound 1 quite a lot).

The bass isn't the biggest improvement IMO, the hi-end and mids sound much nicer and more rounded on the BeoSound 1, in the same league as a lot of budget 'proper' hifi systems, whilst to my ears the Century sounds a bit 'closed in' and (I hate to say it for want of a better word) 'cheap' in the highs. Still sounds very good though, but I'd own the BeoSound 1 over the century any day, not just in terms of sound but also in terms of design, flexibility and build quality.

As Peter says though, have a listen for yourself. You may well find the complete opposite to me.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-27-2007 7:05 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

We have nothing in the bedroom and i love listening to music. My partner loves listening to AM radio. I don't have any way of listening to the century, but it just may have to be a coin toss. considering the polarising opinions on the sound does it help by me saying that i dislike the sound of the Beosound 2? To me it sounds too light...

I've told him about my dilemma, and he also can't choose! He made this picture to try and figure out what would look better, but the bs1 looks a bit weird lol!

• 11-27-2007 10:20 PM In reply to

• Beo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

century la, it won't be wrong
  • 11-28-2007 5:29 AM In reply to

Have you thought about a Beolink 3500 connected to your Beosound 4?  Sounds good and looks really nice.  Now that I've upgraded my BL3500 to the newest software and can access everything that the BS4 can do, I've just retired my Century... temporarily.  I can't bring myself to sell it.  I might take it to my girlfriend's place and force it on her.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)