in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2007 4:24 AM by soundproof. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2007 4:49 PM

A brief, up to date view on the Plasma vs LCD debate

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-18-2007 5:21 PM In reply to

Re: A brief, up to date view on the Plasma vs LCD debate

They should have done it without telling them what set they were watching and 90 seconds seems quite short!
  • 11-18-2007 5:36 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

On a slightly different note for those that are obsessed with technicals -Pioneer - on  a recent electronics fair showed the new G8 plasma and for all the professionals made a display of all the 1080 screens from other manufacturers to compare.

They all came to the conclusion that the pioneer G8 offered the very best picture and what  arevelation 1080 was- in fact it wasnt a 1080 panel at all!!

• 11-18-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

355f:

On a slightly different note for those that are obsessed with technicals -Pioneer - on  a recent electronics fair showed the new G8 plasma and for all the professionals made a display of all the 1080 screens from other manufacturers to compare.

They all came to the conclusion that the pioneer G8 offered the very best picture and what  arevelation 1080 was- in fact it wasnt a 1080 panel at all!!

Which was it, the 720p/1080i version? 

• 11-19-2007 4:29 AM In reply to

Peter:
    They should have done it without telling them what set they were watching and 90 seconds seems quite short!

Peter, you are absolutely right. Besides, since the test is payed by manufacturers I am not so sure if the results are unbiased.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-19-2007 7:16 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

That is a great example of why video source and processing is so much more important that any particular screen specification.  Ray
  • 11-19-2007 9:09 AM In reply to

symmes:
    That is a great example of why video source and processing is so much more important that any particular screen specification.  Ray

I totally agree with this sentiment. I spent so much time researching the differences between LCD and plasma technology before buying a 7-40 television. Indeed, many times I looked at the Mark II 7-40 in various dealerships and saw a degraded, pixelated picture, one that suffered with lots of 'motion sickness' and several other artefacts, which primarily put me off LCD. The same can be said of sets in high street stores from more common manufacturers. However, it wasn't until I saw the same TV set up in my home with a top quality digital signal going through it that I noticed an incredible difference; it was as if I was watching a completly different television. I realised there and then that it is the quality of signal and broadcast that is of the utmost importance and ultimately the deciding factor. My new set, the Mark III, to be delivered this Friday, will have the BS3 incorporated for even better picture processing and, if I put an HD signal through it, my word, it will surely be astonishing - as I have already seen on a set in a different dealer. Can't wait.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-20-2007 3:10 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    355f:

Which was it, the 720p/1080i version? 

It was the 720 version!  had everyone fooled- that it was considered better than all he 1080 panels from the other manufacturers!

• 11-20-2007 4:24 AM In reply to

355f:

It was the 720 version!  had everyone fooled- that it was considered better than all he 1080 panels from the other manufacturers!

So the Pioneer people are jokers, too?

Nice to know, though. I spent quite a bit of time evaluating screens and when I came across the 508XD (720p) I was convinced -- had the dealer set it up next to its big brother 1080p Pioneer, and whatever difference I could spy was so minuscule to my eyes that I went for the 720p. (The reduced resolution of the 720p comes with the advantage of less strain on the image processors, and since I couldn't see a difference there was no need to opt for the higher resolution which just adds work to the processors).

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)