in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-22-2007 5:05 AM by dilznik. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: Have any UK beoworlders purchased an iphone?

Well thats put me off...

I might actually go for the Nokia N81 8GB.. looks like a good all round phone.. 

• 11-19-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

Actually that is quite reassuring! They think it will still be working in 18 months! Laughing

I am sure the unlocking tricks will have developed nicely by then!! 

• 11-19-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

They're quite simple to unlock - but they're also going on sale in Belgium and France at the end of this month, unlocked ...

• 11-19-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• Maarten
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Wendover
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Peter,

I'm tempted for the same reason, so I'm ordering the iPod Touch, which will do the same with the Remote Buddy app!

Maarten 

• 11-19-2007 9:04 PM In reply to

Dear All:

Here in USA, as you know, it has been here for a while.  I am not crazy about contract.  I may consider it once I see what programs become available after the developers kit is released.  

Do I appreciate how Apple combined different technologies into a very nice package.  The touch screen, visual voice mail are very nice touches.  It is something I thought about as a kid which just know beginning to appear.  

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 11-20-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

In regards to all of the above:

In the US you don't need to activate your contract.  They'll give the phone to you to activate yourself and if you hack it before activation, then you aren't locked into the AT&T contract.  I don't know if this is the same in the UK.  In Germany T-Mobile activates it right there in the store so you can't use this trick.

You guys in the UK are lucky... here in Germany you have to sign up for a 24 month contract.  The cheapest tariff is 49 euros a month.  Ouch.

If you're going to get one in France then I hope you can read French... 

• 11-20-2007 9:49 AM In reply to

Lely:

Peter,

I'm tempted for the same reason, so I'm ordering the iPod Touch, which will do the same with the Remote Buddy app!

Maarten 

Decided to do the same and have bought an iPod Touch.

• 11-20-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

Peter:
    Lely:

Peter,

Maarten 

Decided to do the same and have bought an iPod Touch.

Awaiting your - I trust - giddy reports of success with using the Touch as remotes!

• 11-20-2007 7:48 PM In reply to

I can't wait to try an iphone her in Austraia when they are released. It will be wonderful to have it sync contacts music etc. with the Mac. I have had a dismal experience trying to get the Serene to sync with anything. It is a very ordinary phone that doesn't do what the manual says it will. Bring on the iphone.

Patrick

• 11-21-2007 8:02 AM In reply to

Those of you saying it would be nice with 3G... you do realize that EDGE is also 3G right?  EDGE is the GSM1900 version of UMTS and in the future will probably be more available than UMTS.  They run at about the same speed.

If you're thinking of getting an iPhone but hoping for a UMTS version, don't bother.  There's no motivation for Apple or the carriers to do that since they can set up EDGE for far less than UMTS.  Plus by keeping it EDGE only, there's motivation for you to switch to the exclusive carrier in your country.

• 11-21-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

EDGE is based on GPRS (2G) and is considered 2.5G.

3G is UMTS.

Most of the operators are investing millions in 3G, as 2G will one day be obsolete.

O2 in the UK had to create an EDGE network especially for the iPhone.

That said, even without 3G, the iPhone is a fantastic phone. Email and web pages just load fine on EDGE and GPRS. Also most of the time I am at work or at home and I have access to WIFI.

As with most Apple products (and this can be true for B&O), if you just compare the specs on the paper they seem to do less, but when you use them, you see what it is all about.

3G iPhone will be available as soon as 3G chips that need less power are available

p.

• 11-21-2007 10:55 AM In reply to

The WiFi in the iPhone and iPod Touch connects with ease to all WiFi providers -- commercial and free. I've been surfing on my Touch without any problems at all, and much faster than both 2.5 and 3G ... WiFi is so ubiquitous nowadays that it is becoming the new standard for mobile communication even when you're out and about.

• 11-21-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

The iPhone is gonna land in our country (France) on Nov 29th.

Since the French law specifies that one doesn't need to subscribe a contract to get the mobile phone of his/her wish, Orange will sell the unlocked version of iPhone around 999€ (if rumors turn out to be true).

The locked version at 399€ will come with a 24 months contract, like Germany (though a new French law is just being voted to put the maximum period contract at 12 months, instead of 24...So that should do the trick in the end Smile)

Philippe

• 11-22-2007 5:05 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

EDGE is based on GPRS (2G) and is considered 2.5G.

I think you'll find that the ITU disagrees with you. 

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2