in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2007 3:25 PM by Peter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2007 11:55 AM

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Beolab 9 as studio monitors

It was exciting to see Dave Moulton posting yesterday in the BL9 thread.  I know Dave utilises BL5's in his own studio and I have need to update a failing pair of monitors in our own post production master suite.  Now normally, in film and commercial production, audio is not so critical in the edit suite (as the audio mix is usually done elswhere)  but I quite often compose music in-house and would like to have a suite where critical monitoring could be possible.  
         Being a B&O fan I've, of course, entertained the idea of using BL5s as well.  I think Dave has established that the BL5 certainly justify being in a professional environment by meeting the standards and expectations of visiting engineers, techs and clients.   But what would be some opinions on the BL9's in this capacity.  Could they justify being in a professional environment by reference quality performance or would it be eccentricity for nothing more than my viewing pleasure?  

-Michael

• 11-14-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 9 as studio monitors

They're definitely not 'all show and no go', they are a very, very serious pair of speakers.

However, I often find they sound a bit more 'hifi' than 'studio'. I believe the BeoLab 9s actually started out life as a studio monitor speaker (I seem to remember seeing a picture of them somewhere on B&O's site), but they morphed into what you see today.

I'd see what Dave Moulton has to say if he sees this thread, which I'd imagine he will, he's almost always be there when needed.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-15-2007 11:37 AM In reply to

Aw shucks, guys!  

Thanks for your kind thoughts.  

The BeoLab 9 is evolved from a "studio monitor" design project that was shelved late in the game for a variety of valid business reasons.  The current design form of the BL9 is quite different from the studio monitor prototype (which was a "pure" industrial strength studio monitor shape, also by David Lewis - its purity and focus confirmed for me his genius!), but the hardware and topology of the speakers are quite similar (as well as the sound).  

With that bit of background, I've always been very fond of the BL9 (during its development phase).  I would happily use it for production work in a studio or mastering room.  It fits beautifully in the "high-quality full-range medium-powered" free-standing loudspeaker category, and as such has few peers, much less limitations.  

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I now have a pair of BL9s that I am using for "fun" listening in a sitting/reading/exercise room that is part of my master bedroom suite (it also includes a spa fitted with BeoLb 3s, just to make you envious).  The sitting room is just coming on line (I'm still waiting for the reading chair to be delivered), but the listening is great.  My hope is to have an excellent system that I can enjoy without "going to work!"  So far, so good.  

I have long fantasized a sort of uber-stereo/surround layout in the studio that would include BeoLab 9s as a discrete Left/Right pair with the BeoLab 5s in a special pentagonal array for surround playback.  For the time being, that will have to wait, unfortunately.  But the BL9s would certainly be suitable for that work or any reasonable studio work.  

You may also be interested to know that I have now installed a high-quality video projection system in the studio, with audio running through the five BL5s.  I'm very pleased with this, and find that the discrete, matched high-quality center speaker is a major improvement, actually a revelation.  

I hope this is of interest.  

Best regards
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 11-15-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Right, movie-night round at Dave's next weekend, who's up for it? Stick out tongue

In all seriousness, the BeoLab 5 is B&O's greatest product (IMO), and a large proportion of it is down to you. One of my targets is to own a pair by the time I'm 21 (although the likelyhood of that actually happening is minimal).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-15-2007 2:54 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Alex:

Right, movie-night round at Dave's next weekend, who's up for it? Stick out tongue

Sounds good to me. (No pun intendedLaughing)

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-15-2007 4:24 PM In reply to

To arrogant for me in this forum I must admit...
    Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 11-16-2007 1:23 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Niveau:

Did I miss something?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 11-16-2007 3:16 PM In reply to

Craig:

Niveau:

Did I miss something?

CraigSmile

Me too.  What did I miss?

• 11-16-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

I think we need to remember that this is an international forum and sometimes words can be misconstrued.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)