in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2007 1:52 PM by beoperson. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2007 1:04 AM

Wiring Installation Setup advise needed

We are remodelling our new house and will be moving in shortly.

I'm due to provide contractors with information on cabling/wiring.
    I plan to install CAD 6 cable throughout the house to use for B&O Masterlink.
    It Will connect on BS9000+BeoSystem 1(ground level) with BL3500 on second (dining) and third levels (bedroom)

However I have few questions:
    Can I use CAD 6 with powerlink - for connecting speakers?
    Am I forgetting something?

Any recommendations and advices welcome.

David the BeoPerson
  • 11-14-2007 2:51 AM In reply to

• BEOfreak
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Odense, Denmark
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Re: Wiring Installation Setup advise needed

Hi David,

Take a look at http://www.qlab.dk/projects.html and get some inspiration...

Regards Rasmus

Avant CTV 28", V6000, DVD1, BC9000, BS3000, BL4000, MX4200, CX50, BeoCom 2, Beocom 6000, LC1, LC2

• 11-14-2007 2:57 AM In reply to

Why would you risk using anything other than the real thing. Just to save a couple of bucks (and run the risk of a non optimal working system)? You can buy orginal masterlink cable up to 100 meters. Use original powerlink cable to connect speakers. It is very thin (can be bought per meter as wel) and works execellent.

Best reccomendation I can give: use original wiring and a distribution box to connect all leads to a central point (probably best on the ground floor. You will probably need 25 meters of masterlink maximum and one distribution box.

• 11-14-2007 3:45 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Take a look at this:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/49104.aspx

I got Lexcom powerlink / cat 6 cables, but i did not test them so far. I use ML Cat 6 cables from them and a ml distribution box / patch panel in the server room for this. Attention: to distribute powerlink (?) you might need some box (like ml distribution box) for the distribution. See thread above.

I think going with cat cabling (go for cat 7 if possible, costs are about the same, look for good shielding etc.) is the way to go, more future proof than B&O ML or PL cabling.

Best regards

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-14-2007 9:20 AM In reply to

BEOfreak:

Hi David,

Take a look at http://www.qlab.dk/projects.html and get some inspiration...

Regards Rasmus

Rasmus,
    Thank you for the link!
    Very interesting, I will definitely review and use some of their ideas.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 11-14-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

muntbeoman:

Why would you risk using anything other than the real thing. Just to save a couple of bucks (and run the risk of a non optimal working system)? You can buy orginal masterlink cable up to 100 meters. Use original powerlink cable to connect speakers. It is very thin (can be bought per meter as wel) and works execellent.

Best reccomendation I can give: use original wiring and a distribution box to connect all leads to a central point (probably best on the ground floor. You will probably need 25 meters of masterlink maximum and one distribution box.

I have to agree with you suggestion to go with original ML cables for my current setup. However I plan to add a lot more B&O gear in the near future. I'm not sure what and where these items will be placed and I dont want to start drilling walls all over again. Since cost of CAT cables are a lot lower I can just wire whole house without even thinking what will I add to my existing setup.

Thank you for your recommendation! I think I will wire existing items with original ML cable.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 11-14-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

Oh, by the way ML cable costs $5.50 per meter.
    $550 for a hundred meter cable is a bit steep
    David the BeoPerson
  • 11-14-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

muntbeoman:

....... distribution box to connect all leads to a central point (probably best on the ground floor. You will probably need 25 meters of masterlink maximum and one distribution box.

BTW,

How long can a ML cable be between a Beovision and a Beolink Passive???

BV10

• 11-14-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

A Masterlink cable can be up to 140 metres in length if you were to make a point-to-point connection provided you use Standard B&O Masterlink cable. If you are connecting in a star configuration then each length of the star must be considered.

Using standard B&O cable I have tested a masterlink up to 160 metres with 10 devices connected without problems.

Do remember that CAT cable are twisted pairs designed for digital transmissions and whilst there are many configurations which may work without apparent problems, I would not recommend it. You can buy a 100 metre reel of quality B&O standard Masterlink cable for £150

Regards Keith....

• 11-14-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Whatever cable you decide to use David, I would suggest that you include a  nylon rope between evey point.
    If things change later, you will be able to pull a new cable through with little or no disturbance.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-15-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Andy - very good point with the nylon rope!
    David the BeoPerson
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)