in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-26-2010 12:34 PM by Søren Mexico. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

Re: Help with a Beogram 4000

Hi will do, just have to see how this will pan ot,my slant will moslt likley be how to best remove 30 odd years of history from the plastic, I hope it will come across ok

Cheers

Kevin

• 12-03-2007 11:51 AM In reply to

Hi Jeff

I think I am going to get some of the scratch removal materials possibly tomorrow, the suggested going with fine grade all the way down to harder grade and once the scratch is out the going back step by step to the finer grade and polish etc. They have a kit prepared for me to go and collect if I can I will do this. I will let you kknow asap how I get on with this.

Cheers

Kev

• 12-03-2007 12:23 PM In reply to

Why not do some before, during and after pictures! Would be interesting!
  • 12-03-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

Hi Peter

I shall do this and if it works out good I will let people know, Jeff on site is interested also. I keep forgetting to do before and after shots. I have taken a couple of a pair of CX50s I am restoring and they are coming along well. The main job is to restore some scratches to a beogram 4000 but will test out before moving onto it. The company have said that they have some of the finest polishing materials available for plastics etc and I was hoping that this could be a link for Beoworld members eventually if thats possible.

Cheers

Kev

• 12-04-2007 1:52 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Kev,

The before and after photos are a great idea. Excellent suggestion Peter.

With a little luck I will have a genuine need for the results of Kev’s view on things. (More on this later.)

Best of luck with your polishing project! And thank you for keeping me (us) posted.

Cheers, 

Jeff

• 12-28-2007 5:09 AM In reply to

Hi Jeff (Thanks got your e-mail this morning)

Great Great Great!

I have had good results with the Micro-mesh, I was waiting to see how this would work. Sorry for the delay but I got caught up with Christams. I have been using a number of different liquids that I have tracked down and I have got good results, but I have been told I am a bit of a pefectionist at times. I also got a final sealing spray that provides an optical glace and makes the surface more durable and scratch resistent. This I have recently applied to a lid I was sanding down with Micro-mesh and with good results.

I think we will become advisors in this field as we are obviously very interested in it and I am really interested in exchanging tips ideas between us to get the best results we can.

I would like to swap ideas with you on the best way we can go forward with this, I met with the rep from Glasgow and then started right away on using the fine mesh 12000 and worked down to the more coarse grades. It is very interesting but takes time. I am hoping that if I get this to a fine level that I could offer it as a service to repair scratches ot hazing. I have to say it is a slow process especially if you are covering a large surface area such as a BG 4000s lid.

I have also been restoring wood veneer surfaces and managed to repair the surround on a Beogram that had a bad chunk out of its corner and it looks good. but again is a patience job. I blended loads of colours and glaces to get the wood affect, well thats another storey. I have also been helping a chap from Greece to repair his Beogram 4002 and that has been interesting too.

I am hoping though that if I am happy with the results I will offer this as a service to repair restore lids etc, what you think?

Cheers and Merry Xmas

Kevin

Ps Thanks, it is really good to work on this with like minded people.

• 12-28-2007 12:09 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Kev,

It seems that we were both working on polishing Beogram 4000 dustcovers prior to the Christmas holidays while using the same brand products. What a coincidence.

I too was caught up in all the holiday activities, so I missed your communication. Sorry about that.

I am interested to learn how the Micro-mesh belt worked out. From the sounds of it, this process was a whole lot less work than what I attempted.

I was using the Micro-Surface “Surface restoral kit,” beginning with their 2400 grit sandpaper and progressively moving to finer grits: 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, and ultimately 8000. I used a bit of dishwashing soap as a lubricant, which seemed to work well.

This is a tedious process.

I was recently gifted with a replacement Beogram 4000 dustcover as mine had nicks that are essentially beyond removal. (Possible, but would take forever.) Plus the dustcover on my 4000 did not have the B&O logos or Danish Crown, two tasteful items that are in place on my replacement cover and much appreciated.

With a cursory view, this replacement dustcover appeared in very good shape. However, it did have a few deeper scratches that required the patience of Job to remove. Literally hours were spent on two particular scratches.

The main problem, as you know is you really can’t tell how much progress you have made while you are working on the scratch. Only after the Plexiglas is completely dry can you ascertain what progress has or has not been made.

Plus, at least in my case, there were several times that I “felt” that I have been successful in removing these deeper scratches only to find out that I had been over optimistic once I reached a high level of surface condition.

I went back once, when I found I had missed a scratch, but two other times I just decided to allow a bit of “patina.”

The 8000 grit was very good, but I imagine that I might have done even better with 10,000 and 12,000 grit.

None the less my “secret weapon” was the Griot’s random orbital polisher. Well the polisher plus their polish and Best of Show wax. This Griot polisher is the best unit I have ever found (and I have been polishing high end cars for years) and it really took care of all those tiny….tiny scratches left during the overall wet-sanding process.

The main reason this project took so long is I had just as many scratches under the dustcover as I had on top, no doubt do to storage over the years. A dustcover taken directly off a turntable is highly unlikely to have any scratches under the cover, just on top and perhaps the outer sides.

Mine had an equal amount under the cover, which was a bit harder to wet-sand and infinitely more difficult using the orbital polisher. I brushed the sides several times by accident and each time created another scuff I had to remove. “Two steps forward and one step back…”

However, the end result was really very good and I am a perfectionist, like you.

Cheers, 

Jeff

• 12-28-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

Hi Jeff

Hello yes Im glad that i got to find out about the micro-mesh, What is the Griots orbital? my own e-mail address is kevinoils@hotmail.com

If you use msn messenger you can chat to me on that as I notice the time difference.

Interestingly i got the 12000 grit in the sample the company supplied to me, what did you have in your kit and what was it called? I can imagine how the 8000 grit finnish must look but it sounds great that you got a good finnish with switching to the orbital sander polisher. I feel that the 12000 grit though taking the surface to a nice shine needs a final finnish, I am fussy lol But I looked at this surface very closley in daylight and I want to get the fine fine marks left by the 12000 smoothed out I reckon if I work this out then this will have been a complete success.

That is the stage I am at I have a nice surface which is 90% better than the way it was, now the BG 4002 lid I have sanded which was a ruined spare is better than the one I currently have on my BG4002, so they are going to be switched Hurrrah!!!. Jobs patience has worked out.

• 12-30-2007 1:34 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Kev,

The one common thread in the various dustcover restorations is there is no quick fix. Every process seems to take a good bit of time.

As such if I had it to do over I would have exercised even MORE patience with my Beogram 4000 dustcover, perhaps even trying a courser grit, say 1800, and then not stop until each and every scratch was completely removed.

Especially had I known what a spectacular finish the Griot’s random orbital polisher would give to the final step, I definitely would have made the extra effort.

I hope that you are enjoying your time off.

Happy New Year! (This is for everyone) Smile

Jeff

• 01-14-2008 8:46 AM In reply to

Hello Jeff   Happy New Year

I have been lying low for a few weeks as I had what ended up being Atypical Pneumonia, so was not too great.

On the other hand I managed to get back to my polishing and I used and orbital polisher with Novus plastic clean and shine for the final buffing. It looks good and I am now going to swap the lid I have on my BG4002 for the one that was until now totally spoilt, now it looks good enough to use with a nice polish on it. The majority of the deep scratches are gone and now it has a nice shine. Thankyou for the swapping of ideas it has been great, micro mesh is definately crediteed with the removal of those deep scratches.

I am now looking at my next restoration project, to repair some damage to the top of a Beomaster 5500, some scratching and scrapes to the darker plastic surface underneath. I am looking at re spraying this with a suitable spray paint. I am about to take the case top panel so that I can take this to the shop were they stick a range of sprays. I wonder if you have any amp like this any ideas as I know you are in the car industry and probably have seen loads of re-sprays on cars.

Hope all is well and hope to hear from you soon

Cheers

Kev

• 01-18-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Kev,

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia, I’ll bet that took the ginger out of the holidays.

However glad to hear that your projects went so well.

If I had it to do all over, I would have exercised even MORE patience than I did, so that my Beogram 4000 dustcover would have ended up flawless. (In stead of merely very good.)

I couple of times I “thought” I had all the scratches removed, only to find some remaining when I got up to a finer level of sandpaper. Once I got so close to being finished with the project I flat out couldn’t bear the thought of starting over and roughing up the Plexiglas again.

Keep up the excellent work. Good luck with your Beomaster 5500. I am not especially familiar with this model, but you are right about the painting, I have a lot of experience there, but as a hobbyist, not as a professional. With painting the prep-work is ALL important making sure everything that needs to be masked really IS masked. Then light coats, never heavy. That is what I am doing with a set of speakers and it is what I did with my thirties vintage car that I spot repaired. (Limited repainting, with a shake can no less….)

My current “project” is non-B&O related, as I am refinishing a set of Fisher bookshelf speakers that I have had for an eternity. The finish had gone completely flat with age, so a light sanding on the walnut veneer and a couple of coats with MinWax clear semi-gloss and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I couldn’t believe the dramatic change.

But there is a downside, when the veneer was dull; one missed all the little nicks the speakers had acquired since I was in high school.

It seems to me you mentioned some sort of cosmetic filler for wood surfaces vis a vis your Beogram 4002. What did you use?

I have a clipped corner on one speaker that I honestly didn’t notice when the finish had a “patina,” but now that the veneer looks almost new, the damaged corner stands out like a bull’s eye.

All is well this end. Thanks for asking. I hope that you have made a full recovery by now and are really feeling better!

Cheers,

Jeff

• 01-29-2008 1:26 PM In reply to

Hi Derek

Help help help! I have posted here but I am looking for help with the tonaarm on Beogram 4000, while removing the stylus the black clamp came away with it and pulled out two wires one blue and one green. As far I can see there is a red and grey wire inside the arm that have came off there solder points. I really need to find out hoe to get inside this tone arm to get the wires out so they can be re-soldered.

Can you provide any advice or help!

Cheers

Kevin

• 02-04-2008 7:43 PM In reply to

Mr Bozzo again,

Having resolved the microprocessor I burned up re-capping my first 8002, I began restoration of the second 8002, listening to the now prisine #1 deck. My first ministration was the removal of the old/defunct dbl sided tapes that secure the aluminum platter surround, being very careful not to get any carburetor cleaner (laquer thinner basically) anywhere except on the postage stamp sized swatches of tape as I softened and scraped them from the chassis. How proud I was-this #2 TT was nearly perfect and would be a great prize-I was wondering if anal compulsive had a hyphen when I suddenly noticed 5 white spots on the dustcover of TT#1 which was just to my left playing an old Merle Haggart album (It's Not Love, But Its Not Bad-great one!). The spray tube on the Berkley 2+2 Gumcutter was overhanging TT#1 everytime I put it down and each time would drip on the dustcover, partially dissolving the acrylic. SOOOO...I guess I need coaching guys-. I'm a car guy (www.philscars.com). I brought home some 2000 grit wet/dry from the shop and some very fine compound. I know I'll have to flatten out the divots to get anything looking original. Based on your recent experiences, what is the latest secret formula/hot tip, etc?? Should I get a Griotts buffer? What abrasives? We have a Euro headlight restoration kit for sandblasted plastic headlights but I don't think it would be good/pretty enough. phil, spelt w/2z's 

• 09-26-2010 9:55 AM In reply to

I just got another BG4000 home, and the cover needs work. I'll be using the method described in detail here - it's excellent. Worked wonders on the BG4000 I use daily.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220994

• 09-26-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Great link soundproof I need to do this myself on 3 dustcovers soon so worth investing in the gear I think!

One thing of interest (maybe) is that model makes, when polishing clear plastic (cockpits and widows etc..) finish with 'future' floor polish to fill in any microscopic scratches etc. Results in a really superb optical finsh but there are two problems - lever have just recently changed the formula and knowone seems to think it works the same, so old stock ebay is only choice. The other point being that I am not sure if it would work the same with larger surface areas...?

Olly.

• 09-26-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Step1:

Great link soundproof I need to do this myself on 3 dustcovers soon so worth investing in the gear I think!

One thing of interest (maybe) is that model makes, when polishing clear plastic (cockpits and widows etc..) finish with 'future' floor polish to fill in any microscopic scratches etc. Results in a really superb optical finsh but there are two problems - lever have just recently changed the formula and knowone seems to think it works the same, so old stock ebay is only choice. The other point being that I am not sure if it would work the same with larger surface areas...?

It's very thorough, and quite impressive. In 2,5 hours he goes from Before>After:

• 09-26-2010 12:34 PM In reply to

Found this one, looks interesting, http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/scoffapgu.html

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2