in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-11-2007 8:20 AM by Sundby. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2007 7:12 PM

Suggestions on how to connect my gear

Hi guys, I need some help connecting my B&O gear in the best possible way..
    I would like to achieve being able to listen to ripped music from my Home Theatre PC without the BV7 screen being on.
    Sort of turning on the “PC” screen.. start the computer and start the music.. turn off the screen – and then controlling the system with the remote through the PC2.

Is this possible at all?

This is what I’ve got to play with:
    BeoVision 7 MkII
    BeoSound 3000
    BeoLab 8000 + BeoLab 3
    PC2 BeoLink
    Audio Alcemy DA converter
    The PC has SP/Dif out and I use the DVI to connect to the BV7 that works as the only screen.

Best regards

• 11-11-2007 1:03 AM In reply to

Re: Suggestions on how to connect my gear

Hi Sundby,

Heres whats possible, I am assuming your  a beosound 3000 is N.Music compatible (ie it allows control of the PC 2) and that you have Beo 4 remote, & a basic knowledge of stuff like option programming. i am also assuming that the content on your PC will play through PC2 ie its in the right format. Its also been a couple of years since I worked with PC2, so I,m not 100% sure the interface with PC might have changed slightly. 

These products should be setup with the 3000 connected to Beovision 7 and PC2 via Masterlink. The loudspeakers connected to the beovision7 via powerlink. The PC connected as you suggest via DVI, and assigned to PC on AV 4 of the beovision 7. You have 2 choices for the transfer of sound from your PC to the Beovision 7.

1) connect the analogue output from the pc's sound card to the 2 rca phono inputs for AV4, or

2) use your DA converter to convert the sp/dif output from the PC to analogue and connect in the same way. Whether either way is better will be subject to experimentation.

You should also make an audio connection between your PC and the PC2 itself, this is analogue, it may be neccesarry to use a twin 3.5mm socket to single 3.5mm plug adaptor to achieve all this.  

You cannot connect the spdif directly to the beovison 7 as it cannot process stereo digital signals!

Unfortunately you cannot acheive complete control with beo4, the reason for this is that even if you activate the PC2 using N.Music, the software will not open up on the display, you have to use the mouse to open the righthand control bar, select N.Music, and then open the left hand navigation bar, once this is open you can revert to using the Beo 4, and you will be able to see the navigation on screen.

In order to be able to switch the screen independently of the pc2 you will have to go for a non standard option setting. Put every thing in option 1 including the PC2. Ok you will need to add a couple of list functions to your Beo 4, firstly AV, secondly A-N.Mus.

To operate the tv/dvd use as normal. To bring on screen for PC use PC from list (add if neccessary) with the screen on activate A-N.Mus which will start the PC2 software but will leave the screen active so that you can use mouse and see navigation.

When you are ready to switch off the screen press LIST scroll to PC press GO and then standby, the screen switches off and leaves you with the sound of the PC2, re activate A-N.Mus to regain control of the software. Alternatively you could just use the P.Mute function to temporarily switch off the screen.

The problem with this is that in order to access normal CD and Radio functions you will need to prefix the commands with AV, so turning on the radio will involve LIST scroll to AV press RADIO,

If the remote commands are sounding a little OTT you might consider a Beo5, as these chains of commannds could be put under one button, which would clear everything up apart from the mouse being needed to see navigation on screen. 

Hope this is useful

Beocentre 

• 11-11-2007 5:03 AM In reply to

Hi Beocentre,

thanks ever so much for the elaborate answer!

Just one thing - there is only one master link jack in each "box".. Now I've got the 3000 connected to the BV7 via ML. Did you want me to connect the PC2 to the 3000 or BV7 via powerlink?

It sure sounds like I have to consider a Beo5... Big Smile

Thanks again

• 11-11-2007 5:31 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes, that was an elaborate answer. How kind of Beocentre to spend so much time. This is what makes Beoworld so great.
    You will have to split your masrelink cable. A junction box would be best from your dealer. Not a very expensive item, I think mine was about £12. It comes with a little tool to make the connections and a diagram showing all the colours and where they go.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-11-2007 8:20 AM In reply to

Ahhh of course!! Didn't think of that..

Now I'll just lean back and wait for the long awaited HDMI attachment to the BV7 and a Vista update to Beoport combine that with the Beo5 and I'll be king of the AV castle Stick out tongue

Thanks again!  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)