in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-14-2008 7:27 AM by Dave. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2007 11:35 AM

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Which Set top Box (avant UK0

Since we are now heading to the switch over to digital TV in cumbria, I am now thinking about buying a Proper Set top Box for my Avant.

I am using my old phillips free View box , but the Avant does not support Phillips free view with my in built STB controller.

Can anyone tell me if there are any freeview boxe's that i can use or should i get the sky Box which i am not so keen on.

Thank you in advance

Malc

Filed under:
  • 11-10-2007 12:52 PM In reply to

Re: Which Set top Box (avant UK0

Malc,

Given you say that your old ONdigital freeview box (Philips DTX637X) is not supported by the STB controller in your AVANT leads me to believe that you have a fairly new AVANT. The STB controller (table 3.0) still had the Philips DTX637X STB in it at the end of 2004.

If you look at the back of your AVANT you should find a very small grey label which shows the STB software version and table version, from this we can establish the list of STB's your controller currently supports.

Regards Keith....

• 11-10-2007 4:47 PM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

My freeview box is a Phillips DTR1500.
    My avant is one of the last ones built with the video.
    Just checked the Grey lable but does not give the STB software Number but gives STB DS MIC VTR

• 11-11-2007 1:28 AM In reply to

Hi There,

Apart from the Sky box you will probably find that most boxes on the list are now obselete, so that leaves 2 options, get the sky or have your dealer update the STB software. If you have the software upgraded you can use topfield TF5800 PVR, which is hard disc in the vien of sky plus, or Humax F2 Fox T, which is a really nice solid freeview box (uses code for Humax DTT4100). Both of these codes are on STB table 3.90.

Ps. your dealer should be able to fit this on site as it is just a chip upgrade, the chips don't cost that much so shouldn't be much more than the cost of a call out.

Hope this is useful

Beocentre

• 11-11-2007 4:15 AM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your help.
    I will pop along to my local B&O store tomorrow.

Best Regards

Malc

• 11-13-2007 3:50 AM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Called into my ocal B&O dealer.

Its going to cost £80 for a new chip fitted into my avant. (shame that the old chip is no useless)

My dealer told me that B&O have a new board for freeview which there trying to get a price for. Anyone got one of these or know anything about them.

Looked at the topfeild and amazed at the differance of prices for the 250GB , from £230 to £320.

Any other tips or advice most welcome

Malc

• 11-13-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

Malc,

In the AVANT the STB controller can only be updated by changing one plugin chip.

The "new board" for Freeview which your dealer is talking about is the DVB-T Module for which I provided a detailed review HERE

The cost of the unit itself is around £500

The Topfield option is a very good option and in your case likely to be the most cost effective option.

Regards Keith....

• 11-13-2007 5:30 AM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Thank you keith for your Reply.
    One question about the DVB-T, Does it only work with the avant DVD? I have one of the last models of Avant VCR.

Looking at cost , I think i would be daft to get the DVB upgrade when i can get more for my money with the topfeild.

There is a 2 week wait before my dealer can update my Chip for the STB.

Malc
  • 11-13-2007 5:53 AM In reply to

The STB chip upgrade should only take about 15 minutes to perform with the correct tools. The chip itself is a plug in type as shown below

The DVB will work on any AVANT subject to the TV software being upgraded. The software upgrades are included in the upgrade kit provided by B&O.

As many members have noted keeping with the STB controller is often seen as the best option. I do have a DVB-T module installed in an AVANT DVD with the STB controller directing a Digi-Fusion PVR which works well.

As you say your best option may well to wait for the STB upgrade.

STB Module

Regards Keith....

• 11-15-2007 2:28 AM In reply to

Definately stick with the stb controller route, if you have the topfield box it has twin tuners so that you can record and view different channels. If you have b&o's DVBT module (in which the subtitles have to be disabled completely because of a bug!) it does not allow you to record one freeview channel, and watch another. Additionally if your avant is video type you can even use the stb controller to do timed recordings direct from the topfield box onto your video. 

I apologise for a minor rant, but how b&o epects dealers to justify £500 for a freeview board (which has less functionality than a £30 freeview box!), and then sells one of the most advanced remote controls (beo 5) on the market for less, is beyond me.

hope this is useful

Mark 

• 11-15-2007 5:45 AM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

The DVB will work on any AVANT subject to the TV software being upgraded. The software upgrades are included in the upgrade kit provided by B&O.

Hi Keith,

According to B&O, this is not the case.  The DVBT module can only be fitted to the Avant 32 & 28 DVD, BV 7 32 & 40, BV 6 26, BC 6 26, BV 3 32 and BV 5.

I agree that using the STB with a box, like the Topfield or Humax, may be a more flexible solution and certainly in this case the only option.

• 11-15-2007 5:53 AM In reply to

Thank you for pointing out that I missed the word "DVD" out after AVANT. The wording should have said "any AVANT DVD"

In my defence, I would say that in my third paragraph I do say AVANT DVD

Regards Keith....

• 11-18-2007 5:58 AM In reply to

• malct
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Posts 16
    • Bronze Member

Re: Which Set top Box (avant UK)

Hi

I have ordered the new software and bought my Topfeild box.

UPDATE

I have now got the topfeild box working but still having problems with connections.

the only way i can get the Box is through the DVD connection and now i cant get my DVD connected.
    I am sure its to do with the decoder side of the connections.

I have only 2 connections chowing on the menu box

This is what is showing

AV               decoder

DVD             Decoder

It says in the manual that the menu should be showing 3 default settings with Video But guess because my Avant is a Video , then its not showing.
    Any help would be gratefull

Finally is there any way that i can use the DTV button on the remote , there is no way i can access anything to do with DVT

Malc

• 11-13-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hi all

I have a 28" Avant thats around 7 years old now so won't control much in the way of modern STB's.

It seems really easy to upgrade the STB-C as its just a plug in chip so is there a way to get hold of it and do it yourself? Do you need any special tools?

Oh and finally, will it be able to control my Virgin V+ box, including the recording functions?

Thanks

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 11-13-2008 12:16 PM In reply to

malct:

Hi

I have ordered the new software and bought my Topfeild box.

UPDATE

I have now got the topfeild box working but still having problems with connections.

the only way i can get the Box is through the DVD connection and now i cant get my DVD connected.
    I am sure its to do with the decoder side of the connections.

I have only 2 connections chowing on the menu box

This is what is showing

AV               decoder

DVD             Decoder

It says in the manual that the menu should be showing 3 default settings with Video But guess because my Avant is a Video , then its not showing.
    Any help would be gratefull

Finally is there any way that i can use the DTV button on the remote , there is no way i can access anything to do with DVT

Malc

Not great! You should be able to connect either source to either socket though your better source should really go to the AV socket as the Decoder socket is not RGB, I know I have an Avant DVD, but I have a Sky+ box attached to my Avant as well as a DVD and a V8000. The V8000 uses the V.Tape socket (which you do not have but acts just like your built in VCR(because it is just the same!)) , my DVD attaches to the AV socket (here we get complicated as it is a BC2 and is labelled as V.Tape 2 as the Avant has no DVD2 capability!) and the Sky box is attached to the Decoder socket and is labelled STB(SAT) which allows it to work via the DTV button on a new Beo4 or SAT on an old one.

You could also get around the lack of sockets bit by getting an AV2 expander which allows you to attach  three items to the Decoder socket. I use one with my AV9000 and attach a Sky box, a Freeview/DVD-R unit and a Wii to just one socket. The DVD controller will even work the attached DVD-R box!

• 11-13-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

That must be a new Beoworld record Peter!
    Just 5 days short of a year to reply. Wink

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-14-2008 7:27 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

LOL! so it is! I didn't even notice the dates HAHAHA that's hilarious! Laughing

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)