in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2007 9:32 AM by Dave Moulton. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (41 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2007 1:38 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 9 Speakers

cowtwn:
    has anyone set up a pair of 9's with the beolab 2. What cross-over point does the beolab 2 use for the 9's?

I used to have this setup. i dont think the lab 2 is supposed to play in speaker 2 mode when connected to the suboutput on the Tv. Think its effect is limited to surroundsound but am not quite sure. My BL2 never played during music, and you dont need this as the bass in the lab9 IMO is way enough.

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 11-12-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I find the bass performance of the BeoLab 9s to be better than that of the BeoLab 2, much faster, more accurate, and MUCH more detailed. The BeoLab 2 can be a bit 'slow' at times, although it's fantastic for bringing down your house during a movie!

For music though, the BeoLab 9s are much better without a BL2, and even with movies, the BL9s are pretty thunderous...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-12-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

I agree completely with Alex. The bass is wonderful in the 9s and to me the need for a subwoofer is questionable at best.

Am I correct the 9s are rated down to 30hz? Is there really that much sound in a movie or music below that point?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-12-2007 6:57 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Just another thought....when listening to our Beolab1s I always had the feeling of listening to music on very good speakers. Listening to the 9s I just hear music, it does not sound to be coming from the speakers at all.When I look at the seakers I have this weird feeling that they are doing nothing and have to remind myself that they are where the music is coming from.

Wow it took me a while to read through all of this interesting typing but anyway, i'm the member who is very happy with his 4000's. :)

I was going to quote Peter on how the BL5's disappear and was going to ask how the BL9's fair in that department, out of interest. I think that "the ability to disappear" is important when it comes to listening to music and experiencing natural sound. BarryAndrew, on that note i don't see how BL9's would be a bad purchase for you, but guys just how long does it take for the speakers in the BL9's to loosen up to their full potential?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-12-2007 7:12 PM In reply to

Interesting. Is there a way of ensuring that beolab 2 only kicks in below 30-50htz so that the bass of the beolab 9 is the focus above that? I note that the beolab 2 has a switch from 1-3 - i take it that this is bascially a cross-over switch or via the beosystem 3 somehow ? 
  • 11-12-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

The crossover issue is a big reason we have disconnected our sub. The Avant sends too much of the bass to the sub and not the 9s. I prefer all bass going to the 9s and only missing out on the very lowest frequencies.

• 11-13-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

There's very little going on below 30 Hz, and what is happening is definitely not musical. There might be the odd rumble.

To put it musically, the difference between 20 Hz and 30 Hz is around a semitone, the smallest increment in music (excluding music from some cultures). The only instrument capable of reaching below is a pipe organ, and even then I've heard organ music (at a decent volume) on the BeoLab 9s, and they really push out the low frequencies with lots of ease...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-13-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

i like the rumble effect in movies; will the lab 9's without a sub give you this effect or do i need to use my beolab 2 as well. If i could i would buy lab 5's but i cannot justify the extra cost over the 9's- which to my ears sound really pleasant.

Does anyone know if you can set the cross-over points using a beosystem 3?

• 11-13-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

I think I remember a post that suggested connecting the Beolab 2 to one of the powerlinks on the Beolab 9. The theory was full bass goes to the 9 as well as passing through to the 2 which will only play the lowest frequencies. I would think there wouls still be some overlap. We have a Velodyne that has adjustments for crossover. I wonder if I could connect it to the 9 and then set the crossover on it to 30?

• 11-13-2007 10:56 PM In reply to

Dear BeoWorlders,

I'm afraid there is a slight misunderstanding regarding my opinion about BeoLab 5s, room size and placement near to walls.  In fact, I believe that ALL free-standing loudspeakers benefit from being a meter or more out into the room.  This includes BL5s, of course, but is not a special consideration for them.  

In fact, I've found that BL5s do wonderfully well in small rooms and near walls.  Do not be afraid to enjoy their benefits just because you believe your room may be too small.  In fact, BL5s work better in many small spaces due to the bass correction system.  

That said, I've just installed a pair of BeoLab 9s in my sitting room (a small upstairs room) and am enjoying them immensely.  They are against a wall.  I find no issues with any part of the spectrum, and find them transparent, exhilarating, and entirely satisfactory at any level I care to run them at.  I suggest that they are signficiantly better than BL8000s.  I recommend them very highly.  

I hope this is of some interest and help.  I'll be happy to tell you more about my experience if you have questions.  

Best regards,
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 11-14-2007 3:00 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

While bowing to your definitely "mountaineous" knowledge compared to the molehill I've gleaned, I'd like to draw your attention to a few things.
    In your paper "Design considerations for an idealized surround sound listening space" you write that in order to achieve best possible room reflection properties:

Loudspeakers need to be at least 6' from any wall or else installed in the wall. (Bottom of page 4, top of page 5. http://www.moultonlabs.com/images/pdfs/design_considerations_for_an_idealized.pdf)

In your article "What about BIG studio monitors" you touch upon the need to manage room reflections, and write as follows:

All enclosed spaces have reverberance, except anechoic chambers. Along with the concern with standing waves (which are comparatively easily managed, thank God), the placement of loudspeakers in a room, relative to walls and listeners, seriously affects the low frequency performance of the speaker in the room. There are two primary engineering approaches to dealing with this: (a) mount the speakers in the wall, so that it becomes part of the boundary of the room, or (b) place them far enough into the room that the low frequency interference problems become low enough in frequency to not be an issue. Five feet from the nearest wall would be probably minimum – I know, I know, you’ve still got the floor to worry about, but it turns out that the first null from the floor reflection is usually high enough (ca. 500 Hz.) that it can be dealt with other ways, if you want to bother.

Here you indicate a minimum of five feet - for loudspeakers in general in a listening room.
    (Page 3: http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/what_about_big_studio_monitors/)

The above, of course, conforms well with general recommendations about speaker placement for best possible reproduction of sound in small listening rooms (such as living rooms, music rooms, etc.) Cardas and others have made similar recommendations with specific placement relative to surrounding walls.

Another matter entirely is what the room (if it's small), the room aesthetics and the opinion of others who also occupy the room will allow. BeoLab 5s are quite a dominant feature in a room and placing them "in your face" out on the floor probably takes some diplomatic skills for some.

While I'm full of admiration as to what B&O can accomplish with their speakers, I'm also non-plussed when it comes to how they show them in photography - often up against the wall in rooms with masonry walls and concrete or marble floors. Any speaker would have a hard time creating good sound in such a hyper reflective hard-walled environment. Big Smile 

As to the bass correction on the BL5s it's definitely an advantage, but in my opinion one shouldn't buy indiscriminately into the "will correct problems with the bass and can be placed anywhere" claim. As an owner of a pair I have been using them in different rooms, with different placement (up against walls, far out on the floor, stages in between). Even with calibration performed I find the speakers produce quite different results in bass sound pressure relative to where they are in the room. I have run bass sweeps from 0-120Hz through them, and gone hunting for dips and peaks in the signal, of which there can be quite a few when they are in the wrong place. (Even in my present listening room which is quite good for the purpose).

I am personally astonished by the Acoustic Lens Technology because of its ability to disperse sound in ways that I feel better mimic how various instruments create sound. My understanding from reading your thoughts on sound dispersion is that one should actually work with the room reflections, rather than try and defeat them totally (creating the "deadened listening booths" that some think are an ideal) - and to that end, I have followed many of your recommendations (not being afraid of featureless and smooth side walls, for instance; and even trying to point the speakers straight into the room, rather than using toe-in). 

Could I suggest something? That you actually set down your thoughts on the best use and placement of the speakers you have contributed to with your ALT design? You're years and years ahead of what any of us can figure out on our own!

• 11-15-2007 2:28 PM In reply to

Do you think dave that the callibration software can be improved
  • 11-15-2007 4:10 PM In reply to

I had a pair of F3 Audiovector which I loved derely, and I changed to BL9. The first month I truly missed the mid range, and had the same experience of metallic highs, and very very deep bass, but no midrange.

This does change over time...!!!!!!!   When they have matured you will enjoy the musical picture. Believe me.... They will never sound as Audiovector's but they have their own smooth picture which I trust that you will come to love over time.

The Dane

Maybe this is as good as it gets... BV7-40 MKII, BL9, BC2, BL6000, MX4000, Beosound 3, HDR1
  • 11-15-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I often find that a lot of hifi systems seem to have 'too much' midrange. I mean sure, it sounds nice and 'open', but it doesn't sound very natural. As someone who plays multiple instruments daily, I've noticed that what audiophiles in fact think is a very natural sound, is actually a very midrange-biased sound. String ensembles seem to come out worst, usually sounding really 'pushed' and harsh in the mids, wheras this never happens on BL9s/5s/maybe 3s.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-16-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

Niveau,

I am glad my ears didn't deceive me and that others have discovered it. The problem with letting the speakers "wear in" is that you don't really know what you are going to get until after you have spent the money.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 11-16-2007 9:32 AM In reply to

Very little in life is perfect, and of course the calibration could be improved - within reason.  

It is important to understand what the calibration does and does not do, and how that relates to room acoustics.  

Simplifying greatly, the calibration system generates an array of signals between about 12 Hz. and 300 Hz. to excite the room.  The test mic at the speaker gathers information from the room called the "room radiation resistance."  From this, a frequency response curve is derived which may be thought of as "the average of all possible frequency responses in the room at all possible points, for this source."  That curve is also called "the power response."  

Once the power response of the room is known, for this speaker, an inverse frequency response curve is generated which is then applied to the speaker.  This yields an output, for this speaker, of essentially flat power response.  

Note that power response is an AVERAGE of responses at positions.  The correction does not yield flat response at any single position (except by chance), but an average correction for sound throughout the space.  

Further, small reverberant rooms are subject to standing waves (eigentones).  These are a set of resonant frequencies determined by the boundaries of the room.  What is important to know about them is that, for any such resonant frequency, the amplitude will vary (from 0 to maximum) as a function of position in the room.  If you think it through, it should be clear that a power response correction cannot correct for anomalies caused by standing waves (eigentones), because such a correction must vary with room position, and if you make it right for  one position you will make it wrong for another.  Yikes!  

I'm very comfortable with the bass response correction of the BeoLab 5.  For me, it essentially solves the bass variability that has always been a problem for me (am I hearing the room, the loudspeaker or the recording?).  I solve the standing wave problems a different way, by manipulation of the room acoustics themselves.  

I hope this helps.  Thanks for listening.   
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
Page 2 of 2 (41 items) < Previous 1 2