in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-11-2007 11:16 AM by The Plumber. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2007 8:06 AM

how much for beocenter 3500 and speakers

Anyone have any idea how much i should pay for a beocenter 3500, beovox 3800 and two smaller speakers? All from early 70s and in quite good condition. Its just that i have found locally someone selling this kit for £100. Is this too much or a bargain?

Also anything i should look out for if i buy?

Thanks in advance.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 11-09-2007 8:24 AM In reply to

Re: how much for beocenter 3500 and speakers

You can no doubt find a cheaper one but if it works and the 3800s are in good condition, I would regard this as a definite bargain!
  • 11-09-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

Agreed that this seems like a good buy. Really nice piece of kit - should sound great.

Absolutely essential that the transport screws for the deck are done up before moving it. I have heard that the heavy 3000 deck that this has is capable of colliding with the components of the amp downstairs if transported carelessly. Deffo not a good thing!

Cheers,

Steve

• 11-09-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I don't know the speakers very well but I do know the Beocenter 3500 (thanks Lee) - and it really is a lovely piece of kit. Highest rated cartridge/stylus for it is the SP12 so hopefully there is one of those fitted. 

One sold earlier this year on ebay Italy for over £280 - it was an absolute minter though to be honest.

I must add that you could probably pick up the same set up a whole lot cheaper but if this system has some sort of covenance then I'd definately go for it.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-10-2007 8:21 AM In reply to

OK, thanks for all your advice. Just got back and yes i bought it, for £70 which included the Beocenter 3500, a pair of Beovox 3800 and a pair of Beovox 1700.

There is a fault with the speaker1 switch on the BC3500 and the cover needs looking at.

Im hoping to fix the switch myself (is this easy?) I will post some photos later and will possibly seeking more advice. Off to the footy now.

Cheers.

• 11-10-2007 3:41 PM In reply to

Anyone got a service manual for a beocenter 3500?

• 11-10-2007 6:35 PM In reply to

Fixing the switch may not be easy, depends on what is wrong, if it is a switch that will not latch down, this is not an easy fix at all.
  • 11-11-2007 2:19 AM In reply to

Thanks casdave, yes it is a switch that latches down. If i manualy hold it down, the speakers in speaker1 connections will work, problem is it wont stay down. You say this is not an easy fix, but it is possible to fix isn't it?

Maybe i feel a 'work bench' thread coming on. Smile

• 11-11-2007 3:39 AM In reply to

ArgyleMoss:
    Anyone got a service manual for a beocenter 3500?

I do, but it will take me a little time to scan it! Seems to be quite detailed!  

• 11-11-2007 3:52 AM In reply to

If it works with the second speaker connection I would leave it.

There are two main ways this fault can occur, one is that the switches have been set back slightly, this happens when one or more of the switches has been bumped backwards - often this happens in transportation/shipping - if so then he swithc will not depress enough to operate the latch, you just take the bottom of the unit off and loosen the bolts holding the front and pull the switch bank back out, it only needs to be wrong by perhaps a couple of millitmetres to cause the problem.There are also some other bolts inside I think, which means lifting the top off, its a while since I was inside one.

The other fault is rather differant, the latching plate underneath has to slide around and over a small plastic guider pip. If this is broken off it means trying to fabricate something and superglueing it in place - by far the best option,but not easy - or trying to replace the errant switch, - this is pretty much impractical, being the age it is the flexible pcb that goes to the tuner presets adjusters will be very fragile, it develops track breaks which are too small to see, but are enough to stop the radio working - these tracks can be bypassed by soldering insulated wire across the connections.

Unfortunately that's the least of your problems, its a *** getting that front panel off, you risk damaging the various slider pots, and when you do get it apart you still have to find a way of removing the dodgy switch from the switch bank - by this time you would be seriously considering forgetting the project and using it as a donor to repair other units.

The work involved is such that unless you do this sort of thing regularly and have all the tools and access to parts - such as a pile of other broken units for spares, you would be well advised to leave it alone. 

I guess it is possible the latch mechanism is gummed up with old hardened lubricant, and a mild cleaner spray would free it - its never that easy.

• 11-11-2007 3:54 AM In reply to

Having just dismantled a Beomaster 4400, I can heartily agree with this!
  • 11-11-2007 4:09 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree, it can be done but mostly isn't worth the trouble.

If you can solder, locate the two wires at the solder side of the switch and move them to the switchs other poles. This will bypass
    the switch and leave the speakers 1 connected permanently.

Martin

• 11-11-2007 8:00 AM In reply to

Ive had a brief look at the swich by removing the bottom cover, but i think i need to remove the top cover. Im not to bothered about the switch (although it would be nice to repair). So ive spent the last hour or so cleaning up the bc3500 and i must say if i can find a replacement lid and repair the switch i will have an imaculate BC3500.

• 11-11-2007 8:08 AM In reply to

Just started scanning the manual. Taking the front off is not as simple as you would think! It is easier on a 3000 than a 4400 as the front panel is flat, but it is not to be sneezed at! I think the connecting of speaker 1 wires together is a very sensible one - or just use speaker 2.
  • 11-11-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

It certainly is a nice sounding unit and it has a very good radio section, very sensitive, and one advantage is that you have an extra input due to the way the turntable was rigged onto the unit from which it was derived the Beomaster 3000, it does mean you can connect in a CDX without further hassle.

The covers can be problematic, they are supposed to hold themselves up in place when you raise them, but due to the large leverage on the plastic with hard metal torsion spring bar, damage is common, its rare to get a good cover, even rarer for such a unit to make it through shipping undamaged.

I was fortunate that someone had scrapped theirs and I managed to obtain one to sort mine out, it takes some time and a fine disregard for the safety of your fingers to twist the torsion bar around to put enough back tension on it so the lid stays up.

Its a good tip for those who want one of these to collect it rather than trust to a carrier so ensure that cover will not be damaged.

• 11-11-2007 10:36 AM In reply to

Right! One service manual scanned and loaded! You had better download it now!! Laughing Even has a bit about the torsion spring though it mentions a tool which is no doubt unavailable! As with most of these older manuals, nicely detailed and lots of circuit diagrams as well as basic adjustments to the arm etc. Don't however be fooled by the nice simple exploded diagram - it isn't as easy as it would seem!
  • 11-11-2007 11:16 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter. Printing now. You realy are a star Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)