in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2007 10:21 AM by PhilLondon. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2007 10:02 AM

Beo 5 and Apple TV

I have heard that the new Boe 5 will be able to control the Apple TV direct ie the litronic control is not required.  Can anyone tell me if this is true? I currently own a beo 7 32-inch screen.  At the moment i am struggling to grasp the addtional benifit of the beo 5 besides the nice new touch screen pictures.  If the beo 5 was able to control other systems besides B & O this would be a massive benifit.  I also have a PS3 and sky attached to my TV but can only control the sky.  Can this remote control any other ones as well.  Thanks guys in advance.

Sheerman

Carl Sheerman

• 11-06-2007 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 and Apple TV

The Beo5 does not control the Apple TV directly.

You still need to control the Apple TV through a STB-C.

The BV7 default list of set top boxes does not include Apple TV however it can be added by you dealer.

He can come to your place, plug a laptop in your BV7 and flash the STB firmware. I would also get the latest firmware for the TV just in case you want to get a HDMI expander.

This solution does not require a new remote, Beo4 would be fine, however the Beo5 may allow fast scrolling - as reported by a person on this forum.

When controlling set top boxes, even though you're using a STB-C, the Beo5 has an advantage of displaying the real name of emulated keys.

For example on the sky remote, you've got a "Info" button, on the Beo4 you would need to remember that you have to press "Go-1" to emulate "Info", on the Beo5 you'll have an "Info" button on the touch screen.

The Apple Remote does not have many buttons, so the Beo5 does not bring much in that case.

It is possible, in the future that the Beo5 will control other devices directly but not now.

p.

• 11-06-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

The BV7 default list of set top boxes does not include Apple TV however it can be added by you dealer.

He can come to your place, plug a laptop in your BV7 and flash the STB firmware. I would also get the latest firmware for the TV just in case you want to get a HDMI expander.

This solution does not require a new remote, Beo4 would be fine, however the Beo5 may allow fast scrolling - as reported by a person on this forum.

When controlling set top boxes, even though you're using a STB-C, the Beo5 has an advantage of displaying the real name of emulated keys.

For example on the sky remote, you've got a "Info" button, on the Beo4 you would need to remember that you have to press "Go-1" to emulate "Info", on the Beo5 you'll have an "Info" button on the touch screen.

The Apple Remote does not have many buttons, so the Beo5 does not bring much in that case.

It is possible, in the future that the Beo5 will control other devices directly but not now.

p.

Are you sure about this STB information? I can't find apple TV anywhere on the SW tables, is it labled as somthing else?

• 11-06-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

It has to be added by your dealer.

Several people had it done on this forum and I checked for me and my dealer will come and do it one of these days. It could depend on the version of your TV, so get your Type number ready.

p.

• 11-07-2007 4:18 AM In reply to

Cheers guys will speak to my dealer this week and find out how much.

Regards

Carl Sheerman

• 11-08-2007 8:40 AM In reply to

According to my dealer it is only available with the BeoSystem 3 so BV9, BV4 and the new BV7 are fine but it is not part of the STB SW that all the other TV's use.  Has any body done this with another BeoVision, if so I would be very interested to hear. 
  • 11-08-2007 9:01 AM In reply to

Your dealer needs to contact the technical service.

He is right that it is not in the STB of an "old" bv7, but it can be added.

I'm having it done next week. I'll try to find the thread were someone said he had it done.

p.

• 11-08-2007 9:03 AM In reply to

• 11-09-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

Well all I can say is wow! After spending some time with my dealer, we got to the bottom of what it is all about.

The tool in question is called the IR generator, and although he first thought that it was only for use with BS3 based TV's, this is not the case, it will work with any TV that allows STBC updates via the PC service tool.

The bottom line is that you can create your own STB list or as it is now known PUC list, which only lists the equipment that you want in it, of course Apple remote is on the list as this is what started this but also a host of DVD players, STB's and even the PS3, it is a remarkable tool and something that can be updated often.

Well done B&O!

• 11-12-2007 10:17 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

This sounds good, BUT: Is it possible to control Apple-TV (or any Mac using the Apple Remote) DIRECTLY with the Beo 5 without having to use STB or s.th. else?

If you need a TV with this option to control it via Beo 5 it's not that comfortable.

And how do they control the Playstation 3? The Playstation uses Bluetooth and NOT Infrared for its remote.

• 11-12-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

Quoting myself....

wtlc2zpx:

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)