in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2007 8:04 AM by Razlaw. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2007 6:34 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Just bought a serene - yay!

What a groovy phone! I have not actually ever seen anyone else with one of these, and today i bought one (finally) and let me tell you i feel like a black sheep, and i'm scared that i'm going to get mugged because it such a stunning piece of kit. What else can i say... bring on the Serenata. Big Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-06-2007 7:12 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Re: Just bought a serene - yay!

Me too, l bought one 2 days ago.
  • 11-06-2007 7:28 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Congratulations!!  How cool is that.
    Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 11-06-2007 8:03 AM In reply to

I hvae been trying to decide whether to buy one also. Glad to hear the favorable reviews. Since it has no external screen, can you open it to see who is calling without answering it?  How is it using with the screen at the bottom?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-06-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

I've been a Serene user since April 1, 2006, therefore I think I know all the pros and the contraries of using a Serene in everyday life. I think the first times you hold it in your hands you're aware of being the owner of a very unique cell. This feeling doesn't change for the first days, yet once you're a bit more familiar with it and you're not as excited as you were the first days, then you can start tasting the bitterness of having made a foolish choice. I mean that you gradually realize that the Serene is not worthwhile and it's easy to scratch. It's obviously beautiful because of its shape but its materials are crummy in spite of paying $ 1,275 for it.

To sum up, I'm gonna change my Serene with a new cell, perhaps a RIM Blackberry 8800 that is less glamorous, of course, but I definitely think that in our chaotic and frenetic lives form comes after, not before, function.

• 11-06-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

That was ‘straight from the gut’, Jack. Big Smile I think I know what you mean … Deep down, I believe somewhat agreeing with you, it’s about Serene finding the right buyer. Or perhaps it’s about the buyer finding the right mobile phone (which indeed might have been the real challenge for B&O)… After all, it’s just a mobile phone in a world changing very fast. I find my consolation in time passing by quickly: I can’t even remember exactly when I bought the phone and am about to forget how much it did cost. In the mean time, I have had fun with it and think that certain functions (such as eg finding a friends number and making a call) it performs much much quicker that other makes. Would I recommend one? I don’t know: it’s up to you.

• 11-06-2007 1:33 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I bought the Serene for my wife. She loves it. I wouldn't have one myself.
  • 11-06-2007 1:36 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

The Serene displays the phone network "Vodafone UK". It would be nice if I could replace it with "Bang & Olufsen" I know its possible on other phones to change logo's, is it on the Serene?
  • 11-07-2007 12:47 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I am normally quite good at shielding my belongings from damage such as keys and rough surfaces so there is no issue here. The design is incredibly original, and you know what? This is a designer phone and form comes before function in the Serene, thats exactly what i paid $1800 of very hard earned money for.

I have mine set so that it can be opened without answering which is essential if there is someone you don't want to talk to ;) 

• 11-11-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

My dealer has just offered me a Serene that has been on display with a 30% discount, full three year warranty and 30 days to return if not satisfied. I think it may well be time to give it a try.

• 11-12-2007 3:43 PM In reply to

Emailed the dealer today and told them to send me the Serene. I am curious to see if I hate or think it is marvelous. It seems users of it are one extreme or the other

• 11-12-2007 6:35 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I have also disabled the motor assist open, it makes a ridiculous whining noise which is unbearable - it sounds like it's in pain!

• 11-13-2007 5:00 AM In reply to

Britpop:
    The Serene displays the phone network "Vodafone UK". It would be nice if I could replace it with "Bang & Olufsen" I know its possible on other phones to change logo's, is it on the Serene?

Yes, is this possible?

• 11-13-2007 5:12 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

David:
    I have also disabled the motor assist open, it makes a ridiculous whining noise which is unbearable - it sounds like it's in pain!

Yes, it's an 'interesting' noise, isn't it. Did you see (or has anyone posted) the Business Week article from last week about B&O and the design of the Serene?

• 11-14-2007 1:54 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes i did see that article it was fantastic! I just do not understand what the designer changed to make the motor sound 'acceptable'. When i wake up and open it to turn the alarm off, the sound makes me cringe!

• 11-14-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

Britpop:

Yes, is this possible?

No and you don't want this becouse if you change profider (foreigh country) you can't see the cheapist one

• 11-14-2007 4:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

David, I think you must have a dodgy Serene. Mine sounds like a wasp but about a third of the volume.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-14-2007 7:50 PM In reply to

all of the serene's make a whirring noise when the motor is used.

jazz

• 11-14-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I assumed that all the serene's make the same noise. I don't think it's dodgy, and i'm much happier with it disabled. Saves the battery life like you wouldn't believe.

• 11-14-2007 9:36 PM In reply to

I and my partner have had two Werenes for about 8 months now and they do not function well at all. We bought them to sync with the BC6000 at home and they do not do this successfully. I have numbers that have been erased, changed by being added to and taken away from not only on the two serenes but on the main database on the BC6000. A complete disaster. I'm sorry but from my point of view they do not do the job that they were advertised to do. They also get very oily and dirty and are prone to scratching so I have mine in a pouch which is really inconvenient.A great disappointment.

Patrick

• 11-15-2007 2:40 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

David:

I assumed that all the serene's make the same noise. I don't think it's dodgy, and i'm much happier with it disabled. Saves the battery life like you wouldn't believe.

But the motorised opening gives the Serene its wow factor. Seems silly to turn it off just because its not silent.  

• 11-15-2007 4:43 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It isn't just the noise. It is just too fiddly for everyday, easy use.

Today I actually lent it to my partner and am currently using a Samsung D600 which is not a bad phone. I'm giving myself a break from the Serene for a few days.

• 11-15-2007 8:04 AM In reply to

Received my Serene yesterday. Taking it with to work today. First impression is that it is beautifully made, wonderfully clear display, and completely B and O. Now to see how functional it is and whether I can bring myself to really use it. It seems too nice to carry for fear of scratches etc.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)