in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2007 5:47 PM by Alex. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2007 12:47 PM

Looking for a new 500GB external hard drive - Any advice?

Please can you give me the benefit of your experiences.  I have a mac mini and the hard drive is now becoming full, mainly with photographs.  I am now looking for and external hard drive to work in conjunction with the mac mini.  It will be located out of site so appearance is not of particular importance.  I thought that 500GB would be sufficiently large enough.  So I am looking for a reliable external hard drive,  Has anyone got any suggestions of which make and model would be suitable, or other advice, ideas?

My second question is that as mentioned it will be mainly for storing my photographs on, is it easy or possible to make iphoto look to the external drive for my photos rather than the mac mini's hard drive so that when I open iphoto the pictures on my new external hard drive will be displayed automatically.  I hope that i have explained this clearly enough?

Many thanks in anticipation for any contribution you can make

Peter G.

• 10-22-2007 1:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Looking for a new 500GB external hard drive - Any advice?

Recently I purchased a 250GB External Hard Drive made by Freecom. They do a 500GB Drive designed for use with a MAC. Here is a link for you.

500GB Mac Hard Drive

Sorry as I don't have any experience with Macs I cannot answer you second question.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-22-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Soundproof showed me DVDPedia on the net.
    This simple but easy to use software makes it possible to keep track of your DVD collection.
    And if you like start the movie that's in your library.
    To do so, you need a (lot of) storage space, because the DVD info won't be compressed.

My mac mini isn't capable. So I bought an iomega minimac 750gb harddisk from the AppleStore.
    As we speak it's sitting now next to my Powerbook for uploading an amount of DVD's of my DVD collection.

The iomega rotates at 7200 rpm and makes some noise.
    Will get back to the post about the DVDPedia when I have inserted the external drive in my cabinet, and stacked on top of the Mac Mini.
    (Hope the noise will be not so obvious, because this will ruin my B&O experience).

Regarding your second question, I like the answer too.
    Also regarding my iTunes collection.
  • 10-22-2007 4:29 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

I have just bought a Western Digital MyBook 500Gb with USB2 and Firewire 400 ports. It's connected to an old G3 iBook that I use as a media centre. The MyBook sits vertically on a bookshelf and does not look like a hard drive at all (though it has an annoying blue disco light on the front that I sorely wish was absent). It is not particularly noisy and it inaudible when I have music turned up!

You can move your iTunes library using the instructions on the Apple Web site. Moving your iPhoto library is even easier.

As an alternative to DVDpedia have a look at Delicious Library.

• 10-23-2007 2:48 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

For a Mac Mini, get one of these

• 10-23-2007 3:04 AM In reply to

I have a stand-alone server, ReadyNAS+ from Infrant, with 4x500GB harddisks in it. It's a very reliable and yet inexpensive server. You'd be surprised at how cheap storage has become. With the ReadyNAS+ you can add harddisks as you need them, starting with 1.

You can have a long Firewire cable to your server, Coolskin. And put it somewhere you won't hear it. I have my server in another room. The quieter the servers, the more expensive they tend to be, as the cooling needs to be more sophisticated. You can also consider replacing the fan with a more quiet running one yourself. 

• 10-25-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

• PeterC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Bristol
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

I'd agree - I've three of these drives now, a 250MB USB2, 250MB Firewire & USB and, recently, a 500MB Firewire 800, Firewire 400 and USB 2. I can connect this direct to my iMac and use up the otherwise unconnected fast Firewire. I've had the smaller pair now for some time and they've worked perfectly; the 250MB is now being prepped to be my Time Machine drive when Leopard arrives. 

By the way, I believe Western Digital have produced a version 2 of these discs now, with capacities up to 2TB. They are distinguished by the vertical (rather than circular) indicator lights on the 'spine' of the book.

hope that's useful 

• 10-26-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Maybe this one

• 10-26-2007 3:02 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

or this one 

• 10-27-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

Thank you for all your suggestion / advice.  Soundproof, I like the sugestion you made but am slightly concerned that this may be a little complicated in comparison to just a plug in external drive, or am I misguided?
    I noticed that in the September issue of Macwold they reviewed some hard drives and recomended the My Book Pro (500GB) because of price (around £120) and the fact that is also has both Firewire 400 & 800.  Has anyone had any experience of this particular make or model
     I like some of the other suggestions made but as I mentioned prviously it will just be placed out of sight so appearance is of no importance.  Just reliabilty and speed.  I think that 500GB will be enough memory for now as the 80GB present on the Mac Mini has been sufficient for two years not.  It is just my photo library that is expanding.
    As alway any advice is geatfully recieved.
    PeterG

• 10-27-2007 11:18 AM In reply to

• Maarten
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Wendover
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

£99.94 at Amazon, just ordered one, I've got one already, pretty pleased with it.

Maarten

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-500GB-Triple-interface/dp/B000G12W3Q/ref=sr_1_89/026-1806756-0728423?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193498551&sr=1-89

• 10-28-2007 8:08 AM In reply to

Thanks Lely, I have  just ordered one from Amazon for £99 as you pointed out, fantastic  value and all the information I have read about this drive seems to only confirm that it is a good hard drive.  Due for delivery on Tuesday.  I have looked through the reviews on Amazon and came a cross this:

"Worth noticing that it comes with a MS-DOS format, readable/writable by Macs, but for full Mac compatibility it should be erased/reformatted via Disk Utility."

Do you know anything about this?  is it correct and if so is these an easy process to carry out, also what does this achieve?
    Once again thanks Lely for the heads up on the Amazon deal.

Peter G
  • 10-29-2007 1:23 PM In reply to

The My Book Pro 500GB hard drive has arrived.  I plugged it in and install a small piece of software and hey presto it works great and looks good too with the mac mini and all for £99. Fantastic

Marcus,
    I have followed the instructions to move my iPhoto library but this just seems to have made a copy rather than move it and when I open IPhoto it just looks to my Mac mini hard drive and finds it there.  I was trying to save space and reduce clutter on my main hard drive but this does not seem to have occured.  To me with my lack of knowledge, it would seem that I now need to delete the iPhoto library from my hard drive and then open IPhoto to direct it too my new external drive but I am too scared of losing my photos.
    Please can anyone offer me any guidance?
    PeterG
  • 10-29-2007 2:15 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

try this link
  • 10-29-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

Thanks Britpop this looks exactly what I was looking for,  just one more question.....
    I know I will kick myself but what is the option key on the key board.  I have an apple bluetooth key board?
    Thanks again
    PeterG
  • 10-29-2007 2:59 PM In reply to

Problem solved, I just renamed the IPhoto library on my ERW as iPhoto library original and then opened iPhoto this produced the dialogue box to seach for the library on my external hard drive.  I still have no idea what the option key is?
    Thanks for all you help with my hard drive problems
    PeterG
  • 10-29-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Britops has provided a link that describes in detail what should happen. You are right in thinking that you have copied your iPhoto library and thus you must delete the old one once you are happy that the new library is both complete and in your preferred location.

Do not be concerned about your lack of knowledge. Time and experience will solve that for you. You should also feel free to post questions to Beoworld and other forums. We all come here to learn and help each other.

Enjoy your Mac Mini and your new MyBook hard drive. See how long it takes for you to fill it!

• 10-29-2007 4:02 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

PeterG:
    I know I will kick myself but what is the option key on the key board.

The new keyboards has the word "option" on. I've had Mac's for many years and still never use the option key.  

• 10-29-2007 5:02 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Britpop:

The new keyboards had the word "option" on. I've had Mac's for many years and still never use the option key.  

The standard (not wireless) new keybord does not have this key, it simply is the "alt"-key, as on any other keyboard. I did chose the wireless keyboard, because it does not have the numbers-pad. Do you like the wireless one?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-29-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

Marcus,

Thanks for the encouragement, I do love my Mac Mini, it is my first mac and within minutes of using it I knew there would never be a way back to window and after two and a half years I still feel the same.  It is so nice to use and everything that I connect to it just works also the software like iPhoto and iDVD are fantastic.
    Now that I have re-routed iPhoto to my 'My Book' hard drive it is working just fine but I will wait a week or two until I am completely comfortable with it before I remove the original library from my ERW (I have backed up my photos onto dvd to keep at work just as a routine precaution anyway)

Britpops,
    My keyboard also does not have  an option key but now I know I can use the 'ALT' key.  The bluetooth keyboard and mouse are great, only very occationally do they loose connection with the Mac.  I have also found that if I keep the batteries reasonably new (every 3 or 4 months) then the signal is pretty strong so it reduces the risk of loss of contact, I also like the solid feel of the whole keyboard and nice spring in the keys.  The mouse is just a joy to hold, perfectly shaped to my palm and as I use the mouse with my left hand it eliminates the problems I sometimes experience with other PC mice at work.
    All in all it has been an absolute joy being a mac owner and the Mac Mini has been perfect for the uses I put it too.
    I recently updated to ILife 08 aswell and am now in the process of organising my 'Events' which with around 7000 photos is taking a little time but the events feature is great as is the keywords facility, again it is taking a little time and thought to  work out any future search criteria that I may use and incorporate all the right keywords but after a while (about 3000 pics) when I now try and search and get exactly the photos I am looking for and also in the correct events it is so rewarding.  I will keep plugging on, only a few thousand more!
    Once again thank you so much for your help, it is alway heart warming to pose a question on the Beoworld forums and see how helpful people are no matter if you are asking about a Beocenter 9500, an apple mac or what type of table lamp one should put in the lounge, fantastic.
    Peter G
  • 10-31-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

Now I have managed to successfuly transfer my iPhoto library to the external hard drive and iPhoto now looks to this drive for my photos BUT, now when I try and sync my iPod it cannot locate the photos.  I have been into the iPod options / photos and searched for them.  Using this method I can locate my external hard drive and the files on it but the iPhoto Library, whilst visible is not highlighted as an option to select.  How can I make this change so that it will update the photos on the iPod.
    Thanks
    Peter G
  • 11-02-2007 3:31 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

OT, but for years the Apple forum has helped me. Just wondered if you or any new Mac users have tried it?

• 11-02-2007 5:11 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

MacRumors is better as there's no 'company restrictions' like on the Apple forum, and it's actually kinda like a larger version of BeoWorld (except there are quite often issues with flamers and trolls but the mods do a pretty good job).

I've got one of the Lacie Porsche design ones, portable 100 gb drive with Firewire and USB. Runs without any extra cables - very useful!

I've also got a massive (and ugly) 750 gb Maxtor drive. £120, Firewire 400 (and chaining connection), 7200 rpm and pretty darn quiet. Sits under my desk so I never see it.

I ALSO have an older 250 gb WD MyBook (original black one), USB only and a bit slow/noisy at times.

Last but not least, my 250 gb Lacie drive, from when 250 gb was the absolute most you could get! Very very noisy, very big, very heavy and very, very slow.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-02-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

do you post at macrumors too ?

good site that , macnn and appleinsider are exc as well

ars technica is supposed to be the ultimate but they spend all day chatting about the vagaries of cpu optimization , not exactly my cup of tea 

popgear is grate™

• 11-02-2007 9:48 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yep, I do indeed, although not as much as I used to. There was a time when I was averaging 40 posts a day, but now it's closer to five or six.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >