in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2009 8:08 PM by erg4000. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2007 8:54 PM

SACD players and B&O

Dear All:

If B&O does not provide SACD, are any forum members listening to SACDs?  If so, which brand of SACD players are you favoring?  How are you connecting it to your B&O system(s)?

I am contemplating getting the latest OPPO player.  It has received very favorable reviews for the price point.  It can be connected to BV 7 via HDMI.  

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
    Filed under:
  • 10-18-2007 12:39 AM In reply to

Re: SACD players and B&O

I have been using a Linn Unidisk SC player - which is a universal player that accepts just about any format, including all video and audio dvds. Very good multichannel handling of SACD.

While SACD as a disk based format's been called into doubt repeatedly, there are a number of SACD releases, and in audiophile circles the format's catching on. Helped specifically by some tests that have been performed by people listening to music at higher resolutions compared to lower. The most recent issue of Stereophile describes one test carried out by an engineer from Linn, who played "Unto us a child is born" from Händel's Messiah for a group of audiophiles - the selection had been manipulated. It contains four natural repeats of the chorus motif, and the engineer had spliced together a version where the first repeat was 24bit/88.1 resolution; the second was Redbook (CD); the third was 320kbps MP3; the fourth was 192kbps MP3 (the last one is still better than what most people have on their MP3 players).

No prizes for guessing which was preferred. You'll find it described at stereophile.com

The hybrid CDs with both Redbook and SACD layers are an option, but my Beogram CD 6500 doesn't much like them, locking me out of even playing the CD. Which is why I have another player that accepts the format. Linn's player is quite expensive, but since I can use it for a lot of different things it worked out. It's a cinch to connect B&O speakers to it.

The new high-definition audio formats will make it possible to play back high resolution files that are at the level of today's recording formats (24bit/32bit). These will be available on disks and as downloads - to enthusiasts. Question is whether there are enough of these around to make music producers bother - as such, it's going to be interesting to see whether Linn's downloads of high resolution files takes off. SACD will also be available as downloads, of course.

• 10-19-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

Hi Dario,

I´m using a TEAC DV-20D which is a universal disc player. The front channels are connected to my Overture´s AUX/PHONO input and the rear channels are run to a BeoLink Passive through Masterlink connection. Effectively this is only a four channel system and I have to control front volume and rear volume separately (using PHONO and LINK PHONO). However this was a cheap solution and despite of this it gives a good impression on the better quality of SACDs and on the fun of surround sound (while I think that this is more relevant for watching DVDs).
    I succeeded to use my MX5500 as center speaker but most SACDs are mixed in a way that four channels are sufficiently.
    It´s a pity that the SACD format is not better supported by the industry...

Hagen

• 10-21-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Kiwi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dario,

I'm using the Onkyo DV-SP504E which can be controlled with the Beo 4 (if you have a DVD-controller installed).
    It can play all kind of formats and also has a HDMI connector.
    More info on http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_4434184.html.

Kurt.

• 10-21-2007 6:17 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Thanks a lott for the tips, Kurt  [:)  ( tell us more about the Beo4/DVD controller solution?)

Award Winning and  olso a cheap price! (at last!)

Only 350 Euro  or 300£!

The SACD players have for a long time been very ekspensive. 

SACD have a fantastic sound that normal CD don`t have, and the player can olso play all kind of CD/DVD.  Great!!!

(notice. Your old B&O CD player can play SACD records, but can only  read and play it as it was a normal CD.

Sorry B&O, but we can`t wait years for you to make a newer and more modern  CD/DVD player. I have room behind the televison for the SACDplayer, - no need to see it , but I will instead enjoy the pure music on my Penta´s Smile I think the time has come!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

• 10-22-2007 1:16 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Could this bee a solution, when i get the SACD player

Universal Signal Converter offering InfraRed, RS232, RS485, X10 and more
    Perfect for HomeAutomation.

Bang&Olufsen 455 KHz InfraRed Receiver and Philips RC5 36 - 40 KHz InfraRed InfraRed Receiver.
    High-Power wide-range 16 - 80 KHz Transmitter (typically 36-40 KHz).
    Converts B&O or Philips RC5 IR codes into 250 customer programmable functions of non-B&O devices. Customize your own converter to control your audio/video products. Customer programmable digital outputs also controls relays, curtains, light, etc. X10 Power Line Carrier modem interface. Input for external receivers and output for external low-power emitters - perfect for hidden installations. Optional RS232 computer or 2-wire long-range RS485 industrial bus.

http://www.lintronic.dk/

• 10-23-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

Dear Kurt:

How exactly do you control your Onkyo?  What's a DVD-controller on the Beo4?

thanks,

dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-24-2007 2:12 AM In reply to

• Kiwi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dario,

The DVD controller is not on the Beo4, it's a separate module that you can order via your dealer (see also attached picture).
    On one end, you connect the scart cable to the B&O TV, on the other end you connect the scart cable to the DVD player as well putting an IR sending unit in front of the IR receiver of the DVD player.

Currently the DVD controller officially supports the following DVD/HDD players:

Onkyo DV-S525
    Panasonic DMR-E50
    Panasonic DMR-E53/DMR-E55
    Panasonic DVD-A360
    Panasonic DMR-EH54D
    Philips DVD950
    Philips DVDR70/DVDR75
    Philips DVDR80
    Philips VR200
    Philips HDRW720
    Pioneer DVDR-3100
    Pioneer DVR-530H/DVR-630H
    Sony RDR-GX3/RDR-GX7
    Sony RDR-HX1010
    Sony RDR-GX210

As the IR codes from the Onkyo DV-S525 are the same as the DV-SP504E, this is working like a charm.

Kurt.

• 05-22-2009 8:08 PM In reply to

soundproof:

I have been using a Linn Unidisk SC player - which is a universal player that accepts just about any format, including all video and audio dvds. Very good multichannel handling of SACD.

While SACD as a disk based format's been called into doubt repeatedly, there are a number of SACD releases, and in audiophile circles the format's catching on. Helped specifically by some tests that have been performed by people listening to music at higher resolutions compared to lower. The most recent issue of Stereophile describes one test carried out by an engineer from Linn, who played "Unto us a child is born" from Händel's Messiah for a group of audiophiles - the selection had been manipulated. It contains four natural repeats of the chorus motif, and the engineer had spliced together a version where the first repeat was 24bit/88.1 resolution; the second was Redbook (CD); the third was 320kbps MP3; the fourth was 192kbps MP3 (the last one is still better than what most people have on their MP3 players).

No prizes for guessing which was preferred. You'll find it described at stereophile.com

The hybrid CDs with both Redbook and SACD layers are an option, but my Beogram CD 6500 doesn't much like them, locking me out of even playing the CD. Which is why I have another player that accepts the format. Linn's player is quite expensive, but since I can use it for a lot of different things it worked out. It's a cinch to connect B&O speakers to it.

The new high-definition audio formats will make it possible to play back high resolution files that are at the level of today's recording formats (24bit/32bit). These will be available on disks and as downloads - to enthusiasts. Question is whether there are enough of these around to make music producers bother - as such, it's going to be interesting to see whether Linn's downloads of high resolution files takes off. SACD will also be available as downloads, of course.

Hi soundproof,

did you integrate the Linn Unidisc SC to your B&O setup to control it via Beo4 ? I have a Beosystem 3 with Beolab 5 fronts and I'm looking for an audiophile disc player.

Best, E.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)