in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-21-2007 12:54 PM by beobres. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2007 6:07 PM

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR and BeoSystem 3

Is anybody using the SA8300 DVR with a BS3?  That's my set up for HD cable content, and it works fine except the 8300 set top box does not turn off when the B&O system turns off.  Ordinarilly, I wouldn't think this would be an issue, but th set top box really generates a lot of heat when left on for long periods.

Does anyone have any experience with this set top box?

Thanks~~

Todd
  • 10-15-2007 10:25 PM In reply to

Re: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR and BeoSystem 3

Dear Todd, 

There are options in the setup menu to control the shut-off of the DVR. Among them are "never", "follow TV", "shut off in 30 min", and "shut off in 0 min".

Good luck!

Jean

• 10-16-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

Thanks, Jean.  I did try this solution-- all three versions, but none of them caused the cable box to power down when the system was turned off.  Has this solution worked for you?

Thanks~~

Todd
  • 10-16-2007 11:05 PM In reply to

In my case, I have a Pace DC 551 set top box and its HDMI communication is sometimes picky (a known problem with this box, unrelated to B&O). In order to avoid problems, I set its powering on and off to "manual" (none in the menu) to allow more control if the communication between the TV and the box fails.

Regards,

Jean

• 10-20-2007 9:52 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

The sources in the Beosystem 3 need the composite video cable connected for the source on and off to function.  I have an 8300HD on my BS3 but keep it on or else it will not record.  I set the internal timer menu in the 8300 settings to turn the unit off at 3AM and on at 4AM.  This way the guide refreshes as it should.  This way I do not come home to a black screen with the set top box off from being unable to load the guide.  
  • 10-21-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

Great idea, expoman! I had connected the analog speaker connections to the BS3 in order to get music to play on my auxilary speakers in other rooms, but it never occured to me that connecting the composite video would add additional functionality to the power on/off.

I'm travelling now, but will try this out when I get home in a few days and post my results.

Big thanks!

Todd
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)