in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-22-2007 9:18 AM by Tom Morgan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2007 9:13 AM

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Re-attatching BeoCenter 2300 glass doors

Hi All,

Guess I'm a veteran newbie, as I was a pretty active member on the old web site, I have just now re-signed up as a new member.  It is good to be back and I like what they have done to the place.  Hating to be redundant, I did a thorough search before posting this request.  I just received a BeoCenter 2300 in the mail I bought on eBay.  Problem is, one of the doors came off of its sliding mounts during shipment.  I also noticed that the door must have fallen before, as you can tell it was re-glued back on with an Elmer's type white glue.  The glue bled through the black paint on the glass and looks pretty bad.  Has anyone had any experience repairing this or is it best to just replace the door(s).  I am curious to know what type of (original) glue is used to hold the doors on?  Can you fix the "bleed through" on the doors black paint?  If I have to replace the doors, will I have to replace both of them?  If so, how much will this repair cost?  Thanks in advance for your support.  Tom

• 10-14-2007 9:22 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Re-attatching BeoCenter 2300 glass doors

You could always have a go at removing the glue with a stanley knife, although making sure you don't push so hard that you scratch the glass, I'm sure there are others who can advise better than me for removing dried glue though!

As for re-attaching the door, just push the clips into the sliding bracket at the top of the unit, and then the same at the bottom. It will 'snap' into place.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-14-2007 11:24 AM In reply to

Once the black paint is damaged, I have found that it is impossible to effect a satisfactory repair and financially not worth the effort.

New glass is around £40 each so £80 gets your system looking like new again. Well worth it!

Regards Graham

• 10-15-2007 10:57 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Hi Joeyboy, thanks for the update, albiet not great.  I agree however, that it will be very difficult to remove the glue without damaging the black paint on the doors.  I figured that I would have to remove all the paint and then re-paint it, but it would be a *** to do and still have it look nice.  Especially since I do not even know what type of glue is used to re-affix the door.  Without the right glue, I think it would just "bleed" through the paint again.  Looks like it will have to go to the shop for professional repair.  Do you think I will need to replace both doors so they match or will just the one suffice?  Many thanks again for your concern and advice.  Tom

• 10-15-2007 11:27 AM In reply to

If one door is OK you can just replace the damaged one.

Easy job to fit so suggest that you order one and fit it yourself.

Regards Graham

• 10-15-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

If I understand what you are saying, this could be easier than I thought.  Are you implying that if I order a new door, the glue (or adhesive) will already be on the replacement door?  Then all I would have to do is maybe "peel" back the plastic covering the adhesive strip and simply apply the door on the two plastic sides myself?  If this is all there is to it, then you have made my day.  At 40 pounds for a new door, that would only cost me less than 100 dollars US.  Please say it ain't so!  Tom

• 10-15-2007 12:32 PM In reply to

The door comes complete and ready to fit. There is no glueing or sticking required. The doors are "handed" so make sure that you order the correct one.

I suspect that the metal clips that should be attached to your broken door have been left behind in the sliders on the 2300. If you don't have two pieces of black metal in the packaging then this is the case. Simply remove them from the 2300 by prising them out with a knife or screwdriver. Be  carefull with all the plastic trim on the 2300, it is soft and very easy to mark.

Regards Graham

• 10-15-2007 1:14 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Graham, you have been most helpful here.  Things are definitely looking up.  After reading your post, I spoke with the authorized service parts dealer who informed me that the clips will already be mounted on the new glass when it arrives, as you have stated.  I was also informed that you have to be specific, right hand or left.  I ordered the glass which was $80 US, which is almost exactly 40 pounds.  I was told if I am fairly handy and careful, I could facilitate the repair myself, which is what I plan on doing.  Very grateful for your assistance in this matter.  The new door should be delivered in a matter of days.  Best wishes.  Tom
  • 10-15-2007 2:28 PM In reply to

One further tip. When you fit the new door, wear cotton gloves!

If not you will end up with finger prints all over the inside of the glass. Looks horrible.

Regards Graham

• 10-15-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Graham,  And unless you would have mentioned it, I probably would not have.  I will now.  Thanks for the tip.  Its a good one.  Tom

• 10-19-2007 12:18 PM In reply to

Hi!

I did repair the glass door of my BC2300 myself and it looks like new. you can remove the black paint on the door using a cutter blade scraping it gently(don't scratch it!) but you should put masking tape exactly around the edges of the black part to be removed. After removing all the black paint,clean it with isopropyl alcohol then you can use the touch up paint used for car painting the area masked with tape.Let it dry and i use the general purpose epoxy glue(transparent type consisting of one resin and one hardener,i believe you can find it in hardware store ) this glue will set in 5 minutes so you should align the doors within that time. I suggest you attach the good door first, then apply glue (just two drops would be sufficient) to the metal clip,spread it evenly then stick it to the black part of the glass (make sure it's the right side) leave it for a couple of minutes until you can feel that the metal clip is sticked to the glass but you can still move it with fingers then attach the door to the Beocenter.The most important thing is aligning the door. Since you have one good door attached ,just align the repaired door with the good one. This is how i did it and you wouldn't notice the difference unless you remove the door and look at the back.                                          

I hope this helps ,anyway it's worth trying and costs nothing or you're gonna end up paying 40 pounds and have one more door laying around as scraps. Enjoy DIY!

Filed under:
  • 10-22-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

• Tom Morgan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-13-2007
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • Posts 46
    • Bronze Member

Hi Volan,

Thanks very much for this very detailed description of how to repait the glass door of the BeoCenters of this type.  I am sure there are many people out there who have thought about doing this, but opted not to.  You solution makes it seem like anyone could do this repair.  I will give it a try.

I hope Peter & Co. will save your description and place it in the repair/technical section of this site.  It is a very good write-up that I think many will find helpful.

Regards,

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)