in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-15-2007 7:15 PM by Anonymous. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2007 8:21 AM

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Beosound 3 specs: Is B&O "lying" on its website about technical specs?

Hi,

I explored s.th. interesting or strange:
    If you look at the specifications of the Beosound 3 on the B&O Website, you see that it should be capable of reproducing a sound frequency range fom 20Hz-20kHz.

Today I had a look into the servicemanual of the BS3 and was a little shocked after reading  the "real" specs:
    It's only 20Hz-15kHz.

What's this?
    Is this just a bad marketing trick?

• 10-14-2007 8:38 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosound 3 specs: Is B&O "lying" on its website about technical specs?

I thought it was 60Hz to 20kHz... ?

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 10-14-2007 8:40 AM In reply to

Are we speaking of the milk can? How that would ever be able to reach down to 20Hz with its loudspeaker should be the greater mystery here! Big Smile

• 10-14-2007 8:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

But does it honestly matter? Nobody should buy or judge a product by it's specifications...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-14-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

Most MP3 players have a frequency response that falls at 15 Hz, so I wouldn't be surprised that this applies only to the SD card reader part in BS3. The speaker system itself is rated at 60-20,000 Hz I think.

It wouldn't be the first time B&O gives us false tech specs, actually in the past they have withdrawn all the data that were negative when they became negative: speaker harmonic distortion was deleted when BeoLab 6000 came out (2 to 3% distortion on a hi-fi speaker  is unacceptable, especially when you remember that BeoLab 5000 had a rate of :0.02% !!!!).

Same for the frequency response of the...same BeoLab 6000 that came in one night from 70 Hz to 55 Hz ...(it is actually still 70 Hz at -8dB, like BeoLab 3500).

When BeoLab 3 came out, the 94 dB sound pressure was almost always "forgotten" in the spec sheet, etc.....

Nowadays for all new TV's you don't even see the frequency response, SPL or type of speakers, you just get a "stereo sound" feature in the tech specs: thanks for the info, we hoped it was not mono! 

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-14-2007 6:22 PM In reply to

for you to state 70hz at -8db you must have seen a freq response graph.. where did you see this, and have you seen it for the other speakers and where can i get my hands on such information.

jazz 

• 10-14-2007 11:27 PM In reply to

The "real" & accurate tech specs are in the service manuals, if you look at the one for BeoLab 6000 & 3500 you'll find out that the first specs given by B&O were correct , then the bass response was lifted in the next catalogues for who knows what (commercial?) reason.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-15-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

---------------------------------------

I thought it was 60Hz to 20kHz... ?

--------------------------------------------

You're right. this is what they said on their website ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2 to 3% distortion on a hi-fi speaker  is unacceptable, 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Yes, this IS unacceptable, especially if you see the prices of B&O.

So, honestly I realy JUDGE a product over its techical specs when they are that bad for such a high price.

For a company that is for about 50 years in the Audio-Business this is a shame!

• 10-15-2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

jazz:

for you to state 70hz at -8db you must have seen a freq response graph.. where did you see this, and have you seen it for the other speakers and where can i get my hands on such information.

jazz 

When specs for speakers are written down, they give an indication of this through the +/- figure at the end of the frequency response. For example, 50 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 8dB. BeoLab 5s are rated at 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.25 dB I believe, which is incredible. Anything below 1 dB and it isn't at all audible, most people would struggle at 2 dB, even seasoned audiophiles.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-15-2007 2:31 PM In reply to

MP3 and FM tops at 15KHz but the speaker can play up to 20KHz but never will...
  • 10-15-2007 2:39 PM In reply to

Ermm.... 2 to 3% of distortion is perfectly normal, especially in the bass region. You really have to know the frequency as which the distortion is stated. Usually, larger surface area of the bass driver, the less the distortion and vice versa for treble. And of course, the BeoLab 6000 has a high level of distortion in the bass but doesn't it look just stuning. 
  • 10-15-2007 4:46 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

wonderfulelectric:
    Ermm.... 2 to 3% of distortion is perfectly normal, especially in the bass region. You really have to know the frequency as which the distortion is stated. Usually, larger surface area of the bass driver, the less the distortion and vice versa for treble. And of course, the BeoLab 6000 has a high level of distortion in the bass but doesn't it look just stuning. 

Ehm, I don't buy a speaker because of its look. It's a speaker and not a TV or s.th. like that.
    I listen to it with MY music and if it sounds good to my ears THEN I buy it.

• 10-15-2007 7:15 PM In reply to

i fully understand the +/- 3db thing which most manufacturers use. B&O don't state +/- 3db in their specs so i just assumed thats what they were using. However if they are using +/- 7db then this is getting a bit out of control.

Having said all this, I'm not fussed that the BL6000 are light in the bass, i'm in love with the mids and the highs. They are such a relaxing speaker to listen to so long as they aren't pushed.

jazz 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)